Tipping At Sushi Bars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
This past Sunday husband & I popped into a local sushi place, & for the 1st time sat at the sushi bar instead of at a table.

We had 2 waitresses who brought our soup & beverages & bussed our placesettings, plus, of course, we were seated at the bar with the 2 sushi chefs working away.

Since this was the 1st time we'd dined at the bar, we were at a loss as to how to tip. There was a large glass bowl on the sushi bar counter - obviously a tip jar for the chefs, but then there was the waitresses as well. My husband ended up leaving 15% for the waitresses, & we put another $4.00 into the tip jar.

Frankly, we don't know if we were considered average, extravagant, or cheapskates :LOL: . Any ideas here?

The norm for waitstaff AT the sushi bar and the sushi chefs is to share everything 50/50. I've found that to be true so far in every sushi restaurant I've been in - it may be different in a very high-end sushi restaurant though.

i have wondered the same thing, breezy, so i often leave 10 to 15% on the bill that the waitstaff brings, as well as another 10% in the jar.

even when i get takeout, i leave 10 % in the jar. i feel i sorta owe it to them, since dw ALWAYS orders some modification on the selections from the menu.

i frequent a few of the same places, pretty much every week, and i've found that i am rarely disappointed with what i'm served. i hope this is due at least in part to my good tipping practices.

It certainly is a quandary. Like I said, this was the first time we've eaten at the sushi bar. Even though we've been visiting Japanase restaurants frequently since back in the 1980's, we normally sit at a table & leave the usual 20% tip.

This time, at the bar, we didn't order anything special or itemized - just one apiece of the lunch specials for "tuna lovers". Consisted of 3 pieces of tuna sashimi, 3 piece of nigiri sushi, & one roll (6 pieces) of tekka maki. Also ordered a bowl apiece of Miso soup.

So nothing out of the ordinary, but we still weren't sure what to do what with 2 waitresses + the sushi chefs.

Back
Top Bottom