Tips for surviving without power and water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i thought it might be a good idea to start a thread about how to survive a week or so without power and water in your home.

we just picked up 40 lbs. of ice to stuff the freezers, and it can become potable water in the long run.
also, we have 12 gallons and two 35 packs of 500ml bottles of water.

we have 2 almost full 20lb tanks of propane for cooking, as well as a camping stove and a liter of white fuel.

if we lose power, i'll be doing a lot of cooking the next few days of what was once frozen food.

fortunately, the garden is nearly at peak fruition, and our giant apple tree, raspberries, and grape vines are producing. we'll see how they fare.

so, can anyone add any tips on how to survive a storm?

I saw on the news where a small generator can provide power for your sump pump and fridge/freezer if electricity goes out. Cost is $400-$1000+. We are looking into getting one.

We keep plastic jugs and bottles filled with tap water in our basement. Along with our wine stash and cork screw!

Last edited:
BT, very good ideas. We went without power several years ago for almost a week. We couldn't get out of our street for a couple of days for the fallen trees. We also had a tree fall toward the house that landed about a foot from our wall to wall window.. We only stock water to drink and my pantry is full of things we can eat either raw or cooked on the grill. We can get water for the bathroom from the pool if necessary. Another thing we did was hook the tv up to the boat battery to watch the news. I'm not sure exactly how dh did that.
I hope the storm doesn't do you bad.

Last edited:
Along with a generator, don't forget gasoline to run it. Chances are if you are without power, so are the gas stations. You can't have enough fuel. All manners of fuel and batteries are always the first thing to disappear in outages.

For me the toughest thing would be filling the idle time while the storm is doing its thing.

Start thinking about ways to occupy the Cub Scout with no power for the TV, internet etc.

Portable Backup Emergency Power | XPower Powerpack 400+ | Xantrex

I have a generator and one of the above power back-ups. It can jump my truck or keep a light on and has a small built in radio.It also can fill a tire.

Having a real lamp to read or play games by is nice and the generator doesn't have run for it.

We also keep a large supply of canned and dry goods as well as backpack full of stuff outside the house in the shed.

Make sure you have you meds in good supply too.

For me the toughest thing would be filling the idle time while the storm is doing its thing.

Start thinking about ways to occupy the Cub Scout with no power for the TV, internet etc.

yup, we have backgammon and jenga ready to go.

and great tips so far, everyone. keep 'em coming.

Juice mixes like Energade with added electrolytes will keep you hydrated when there's not much drinking water.

Using paper plates and cups too avoid washing dishes will prevent water waste.

Making dishes than can be eaten hot as well as cold will be useful when you want to save on gas usage.

Keeping a well stocked first aid kit is also important in case someone gets injured or has a fever etc and you can't get to a shop.

While you have water fill as many empty containers as possible with tap water for emergencies.

Keep a stash of long life milk for when fresh milk runs out. Keep batteries stocked up for torches etc.

Tinned and preserved meats and veggies for when you don't have fresh or just can't cook it.

Stock up on wood, charcoal and matches to make fire. You can cook on it plus it provides some light in the evenings so you save gas and don't need to use lamps etc for a while.

Hope you are all safe and I'm praying that everyone goes unharmed. Thinking of you all!

Last edited:
I got a little universal portable charger from Verizon that can charge most wireless devices. You power it up ahead of time, and it provides about 5 hours of additional talk time. Not expensive as I recall.

I also have an Axion 7" portable TV that runs on batteries which has gotten use during power outages.

Powdered milk.

Last edited:
Old man Boyd's roof leaked like a sieve ...He had pots, pans, boilers, buckets, etc everywhere catching the drips when it rained....One day I told him..."Mr Boyd, ya need to get your roof fixed" ....Can't do that boy....."Why not I asked" It's raining outside :ermm:...I said..."I mean when it quits raining and the sun is shining"....Hit don't leak then boy :LOL:

The time to prepare for a Hurricane, Tropical Storm, Tornadoes etc, is when there's 3 feet of snow on the ground...The time to prepare for a big snow/winter storm, or Nor Easter is when it's 98 degrees outside.

Can't say enough about Generators...I own three...A small one for short outages of just a few hours...A large one that hooks to the house...for long term outages. Another one just for the fun of it...

If you are so situated that you can own a Generator, then by all means have gas to run them.,..a lot of gas!!! ~~ Gas supply's can't get critical to non existent ~~ During Katrina there was no Gas to be had here....10's of thousands of gallons in the ground, but no way to pump it out....(There ought to be a law!!!)

Have/Create a Cool or Warm Zone in your house....Kerosene Heaters work well for Heat Zones (Or Natural Gas Heaters)....Room/Window A/C units work well for a Cool Zone.

Ice .you can't have to much in hot weather....I've seen men fight over a 10lb bag of ice....Pull guns over 5 gallons of gas......

Oh well, just a few tips....Maybe more later.

Last edited:
Clothing, especially warm clothing, should be set aside for emergencies, somewhere you can reach it.

Years ago during hurricane Gloria, we lost power and had to make do with doing all our cooking on the gas grill. If you don't have side burners, remove the grates and put pots and pans right on the diffusers.

This past winter I just added another generator to my arsenal.
It runs off my tractor's PTO. And I have a 150 gal diesel fuel tank. The only downside is the tank needs to be near empty to meet the minimum for them to come fill it up. Still, no scrambling to fill gas cans. And no gasoline engine that hasn't been started in a year.

Attachments

• generator.jpg
    generator.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 247
Thanks Bob.
Yes, 540 rpms. There's also a meter on it that you want reading 220v. And I bought a $12 meter to monitor the house's outlets for the correct voltage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom