"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-30-2008, 04:40 PM   #11
Master Chef

well, i was supposed to to mix my prilosec with babyfood, so i've plenty of apricots with mixed fruit!

Old 04-30-2008, 04:56 PM   #12
Executive Chef

In my home the chef rules,.... with some flexibility. If it's something unusual I like I'll make that a side, and visa versa.
But never two meals.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Luvs, tell him to get his behind to the dentist. When you have a tooth ache it's for a reason and could turn into something much worse than it is now.. If he still wont go it's not your problem to make him a special meal. Show him where the oatmeal and cereal is
Old 04-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #14
Head Chef

I have to say that my DH is not a very adventurous eater. He grew up on a farm in Idaho and is a pretty basic eater. Having said that, he WILL eat just about anything I serve him, but sometimes less enthusiastically. Yes, it has a bit of a dampening effect on my meal planning, so I do understand what you're talking about. And speaking of taking your own coffee pot, we actually did that to some friends at Christmas. We were invited to a dessert and wine open house. Since we don't really drink dessert wines, we brought some coffee along with the English Trifle we contributed. The hostess was a little offended, but we had recently had some coffee at her house and it was really really weak and had an "off" taste. We like fresh, strong, robust coffee with real cream and sugar, so we just brought our own in a thermos pitcher. Oh oh. I guess it was probably the wrong thing to do..........
Old 04-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Well MK-I have a similar problem in that I have a 7 year old grandson who hates everything - save for Kraft mac n' cheese and hot dogs. I can occasionally get broccoli or cauliflower down him if I drown it in Velveeta. As time goes on, he's slowly getting better, and I've taken to making him milk shakes in the evening to try and put a little weight on him!!

I feel your pain. My mom was right-cooking for the family is like running a short order restaraunt!!
Old 04-30-2008, 06:45 PM   #16
Master Chef

my hubby eats anything I prepare.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:53 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I take requests, I ask for them, but I rarely get them.

I won't make anyone a separate meal. I grew up eating what I was served and thats it.

If you can't speak up you get what you get.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:26 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

when i have guests, i try to make something i know they will like. i only cook for myself otherwise, so eat what i want.

when i was raising a family, they ate what was served to them. their dad was meat and potatoes which was easy but boring.

when i grew up house rule was one bite of each thing on the table. now i eat most anything. my grown kids are much more daring than their dad was.

i was their mom, not their maid or short order cook.

babe
Old 05-01-2008, 08:40 AM   #19
Executive Chef

When I was a kid, there was rarely a time that someone got something different for dinner to the rest of the family, sometimes an extra side but not often.

Definitely tell him to make his own!

Or... Make him something really chewy (but really tasty too) so that he loses his tooth and can just get over with it!! LOL
Old 05-01-2008, 09:45 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
I take requests, I ask for them, but I rarely get them.

I won't make anyone a separate meal. I grew up eating what I was served and thats it.

If you can't speak up you get what you get.
Suzi, my thoughts exactly. But, when I'm in Virginia, he's only too glad to have someone else cook. He'll eat anything I make.