"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-27-2008, 08:17 AM   #31
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Ack! Christmas creep gets worse every year! It's still September!

Next year let's just start in January, what do you say?

Old 09-27-2008, 12:59 PM   #32
Cook

Quote:
I need that Christmas "fix" halfway through the year!
When i was a teenager me and my brother use to have a fake christmas on 1st september and call it "september day" because we needed a christmas fix!!!! Sadly my hubby wont keep up the tradition!!

Old 09-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #33
Certified Cake Maniac

The Christmas Hymn, "Oh Holy Night", always cuts straight to my heart. First of all, because it is so strong in the whole meaning of Christmas, and even more so because of something that happened many years ago and has stuck with me. We were in Junior High and preparing for our school Christmas Concert. A good friend of mine had a beautiful voice and was set to sing the song and play guitar. Two days before the concert her mother died very suddenly. The teacher was trying to decide if he should get someone else to sing it or just take it out when my friend said no, she wanted to do it for her Mom, but would prefer if someone else would play for her. Several of us got together and I played autoharp while two others played guitar. There was not a dry eye in the place as her sweet voice belted out the words "Fall on your knees, oh hear the angel's voices". I am actually tearing up writing this. She had gotten her lovely voice from her Mom and that was her tribute back. I have never heard it sung so beautifully since.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #34
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Thank you for sharing that with us Laurie. What a beautiful story. I teared up just reading it.

Barbara
Old 09-27-2008, 05:47 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Laurie, That's one of my favorites too, and always gets to me. But now even more so. I don't think I'll ever forget your story when I hear the song again. Thank you.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutchins View Post
I can not tolerate Christmas music of any kind. I lost the love of my life during the holiday season and it brings back to many bad memories. I can't wait till all of the ho,ho hos are gone from the sean. Yes I am very bitter and a first class grinch.
I don't blame you.
I lost MOST feeling for Christmas after my momma died. But, because it was her favorite holiday and time of year, I still love the music, because, it brings back my Christmas's with her. She always had the music playing on the record player.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:06 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
TransSiberian Orchestra is one of my favorites.
That is the only Christmas music I will listen to. Trans Siberian is coming to Charlotte but in October so I won't be going. I'm definitely in the HATE, HATE, HATE category. I had a mother whose birthday was December 8th so we never played a note of Christmas music before that date. Now you hear it before Halloween. It just doesn't work for me. There is something about TSO, Jeff Foxworthy's "12 Redneck Days of Christmas", and Montgomery Gentry's "Christmas With the Family" that I do love. And you'll never hear me admit it again, but I love "Christmas Shoes" ~ I can't help but cry everytime I hear it.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:09 PM   #38
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
...I love "Christmas Shoes" ~ I can't help but cry everytime I hear it.
The first time I ever heard "Christmas Shoes" was on the way to the airport the day after my mom's funeral. I absolutely love that song. Every time I hear it, the tears just pour. I feel really good about where my mom is now, but listening to that song is one of my "I miss you Mama" moments, and it is very special to me.

Barbara
Old 09-27-2008, 07:13 PM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
The first time I ever heard "Christmas Shoes" was on the way to the airport the day after my mom's funeral. I absolutely love that song. Every time I hear it, the tears just pour. I feel really good about where my mom is now, but listening to that song is one of my "I miss you Mama" moments, and it is very special to me.

Barbara
Sorry, I hate that song Should have bought her a dress or earrings or SOMETHING other than shoes.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #40
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
I like to listen to Christmas music, but not until at least the beginning if Dec. As for the holiday itself, It drives me crazy. Everyone has come to expect gifts., and like most people I can't afford to get everyone things, I've resorted to making packages of cookies,bread,and fudge. Some of the family think I'm just being cheap. Where they buy presents and let their bills go, I pay bills first and work with what I have left. They just don't get it.