Tis' (almost) the season..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoke king

Sous Chef
Well, its almost that time. Christmas, and Christmas music are nearly upon us. You either love it or hate it, there is no in between. Here at the Smoke King residence, we love it-and come November, our house is filled with it. From the traditional to the obscure, our stereos are running it pretty much all day, every day.

What about you? What are some of your favorites (or least favorites) songs that celebrate the season?

We caught the Brian Setzer (ex Stray Cats) Orchestra Christmas extravaganza at the Hard Rock in Vegas a few years ago, and it was one of the best shows either of us had ever seen - and trust me, I've been to a lot of shows.

So how about it-turn me on to some of your favorites!! And oh yeah-just in case you forgot-You better be good-Santa knows what your up to!;)

I love, love, love it!!! I love most Christmas music, but I must admit I am looking forward to listening to my newest (bought right before last Christmas) Christmas CD, by the Barenaked Ladies. I bought it specifically for their rendition (with Sarah MacLachlan) of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings YouTube - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings, but it has some other good songs on it as well.

:)Barbara

Last edited:
I knew I wasn't the only one !!!!

Another of my favorites is "Tis the season" by Los Straitjackets-yeah-I know that they perform wearing Mexican Wrestling masks, but if you remember good surf music, and love Christmas music, check this one out!!!

I will definitely check it out! Did you check out the link in my post? If you had told me a few years ago that I was going to buy a Christmas CD by a group called the Barenaked Ladies, I would have told you you were nuts! That is an absolutely beautiful rendition of that song though!

My son has already started making his christmas list and right now it's 3 pages long (front & back). He's gonna be 12 in November and I still have him convinced there is a Santa Claus. My favorite christmas was when my husband and I set up a video camera facing the christmas tree and told my son it had a motion detector on it and when santa came to put presents under the tree we would get it on video. After he fell asleep the fun began. We video taped my husband from the knees down with black shoe on and red velvet & white fur trimmed pants legs walking around the tree, then we got a shot of his gloved hand closing the door as Santa left. We even left Santa's hat behind at the front door. We didn't have a fireplace at the time so I have this giant golden ceramic key with christmas ribbon on it that my son and I would leave hanging on the outside door knob for Santa to get in.

Last edited:
I absolutely ADORE Christmas music!! I love the older versions, Bing, Nat,etc...
I love the Nutcracker music! I listen to our local Christmas channel every year. They are wonderful. That is all they play. I love the music and the lights, but, I hate Christmas!! I'm a Grinch with the rest of it!!

My favorite christmas CD is Gladys Knight and the Pips - Christmas...
I've had it for almost 10 years and it's always the first one in the CD player when I start the christmas music going.

After being in retail for so many years and hearing music day after day, on a loop from the wednesday before Thanksgiving to New Years Day, I get so sick of it. It takes all the glory and wonder out of the holiday for us.
But I do have favs that they don't play;
'Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer'
'Welcome Christmas' CD by Matt King Trio
'O Holy Night' CD w/Luciano Pavorotti, National Philharmonic Orch. & Wandsworth Boys Choir.
I'm sure there's more, but those are what, when it's still in the 90's here, I could think of. It's not even Halloween yet! (My favorite day/night)

TransSiberian Orchestra is one of my favorites. I also like the Cambridge singers Christmas Star album. If you're not familiar with them, they are a vocal group from England and their director takes traditional carols and does some amazing arrangements. He also has written some pretty awesome stuff as well. Some of their songs are a cappella and some with a full orchestra. Just a wonderful choir. There are times during Christmas that if I hear Rocking around the Christmas Tree or Santa Baby one more time I'll scream. I really prefer the carols.

My husband has a CD called "Sombrero's and Snow, A tijuana Christmas" Its carols and golden oldies done in a mexican style!!! He bought it for a joke, but its actually really good and always puts us in the Christmas mood.

I personally love the Christmas album by Harry Connick Jr. For some reason, the big band sound makes the songs seem more "Christmasy" to me. And of course, I always love the set of Christmas hymns in my hymnbook.

My husband has a CD called "Sombrero's and Snow, A tijuana Christmas" Its carols and golden oldies done in a mexican style!!! He bought it for a joke, but its actually really good and always puts us in the Christmas mood.

Zoot Allures!! I love the sound of that-I'm heading to amazon right now!!!

I personally love the Christmas album by Harry Connick Jr. For some reason, the big band sound makes the songs seem more "Christmasy" to me. And of course, I always love the set of Christmas hymns in my hymnbook.

Are you talking about the "When my Heart Finds Christmas" album? I have that one & love it!! My boys esp. love the "Parade of the Wooden Soldiers" song!
I guess my favorite album would be Bing Crosbys "White Christmas", although it brings back bittersweet memories for me. My Mom would listen to that record every year while making her christmas cookies & decorating the house, now that shes gone its sometimes difficult to enjoy it.

now that shes gone its sometimes difficult to enjoy it.

I know how you feel Kathe-"Please come home for Christmas" (by the Eagles, Bon Jovi and countless others) does the same thing to me.

I absolutely love that song, and I can't bear to listen to it.:(

I love, love, love it!!! I love most Christmas music, but I must admit I am looking forward to listening to my newest (bought right before last Christmas) Christmas CD, by the Barenaked Ladies. I bought it specifically for their rendition (with Sarah MacLachlan) of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings YouTube - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings, but it has some other good songs on it as well.

Barbara, I have this one too and absolutely love it. And hey, they are all Canadian!!!!! The Ladies are absolutely wonderful live and I actually got to meet Sarah MacLachlan a few years ago. Her (now ex) husband is good friends with a good friend of mine who is also a musician. They were over for a Christmas party and the singing was incredible! She is very down to earth.

I have the Harry Connick one too and agree B's Girl, that the big band sound is great.

I love Christmas music but do not start it until December 1st, though DH puts our lights up as of November 1st, inside and out! I have so many favourite Christmas CD's from old Classics like Ella Fitzgerald to the Christmas Soundtrack from Alli McBeal. But one of my all time favourites is by a Christian artist named Bryan Duncan.

I have one of his also and when I pop it in the CD player in my car and Happy Ho Ho Ho To You comes on I sing it as loud as I can. My son just kinda sinks down in his seat like, "Why do Mom's have to be so embarrassing?"

From Thanksgiving to Christmas I listen to Christmas almost exclusively, and I only wear Christmas earrings (yep, I have a lot of them).

Also, many years I pick a week in July and watch all of our Christmas DVDs! I need that Christmas "fix" halfway through the year!

Back
Top Bottom