"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-26-2008, 12:47 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Tis' (almost) the season..

Well, its almost that time. Christmas, and Christmas music are nearly upon us. You either love it or hate it, there is no in between. Here at the Smoke King residence, we love it-and come November, our house is filled with it. From the traditional to the obscure, our stereos are running it pretty much all day, every day.

What about you? What are some of your favorites (or least favorites) songs that celebrate the season?

We caught the Brian Setzer (ex Stray Cats) Orchestra Christmas extravaganza at the Hard Rock in Vegas a few years ago, and it was one of the best shows either of us had ever seen - and trust me, I've been to a lot of shows.

So how about it-turn me on to some of your favorites!! And oh yeah-just in case you forgot-You better be good-Santa knows what your up to!

Old 09-26-2008, 01:20 AM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I love, love, love it!!! I love most Christmas music, but I must admit I am looking forward to listening to my newest (bought right before last Christmas) Christmas CD, by the Barenaked Ladies. I bought it specifically for their rendition (with Sarah MacLachlan) of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings , but it has some other good songs on it as well.

Barbara

Old 09-26-2008, 01:24 AM   #3
Sous Chef

I knew I wasn't the only one !!!!

Another of my favorites is "Tis the season" by Los Straitjackets-yeah-I know that they perform wearing Mexican Wrestling masks, but if you remember good surf music, and love Christmas music, check this one out!!!
Old 09-26-2008, 01:28 AM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I will definitely check it out! Did you check out the link in my post? If you had told me a few years ago that I was going to buy a Christmas CD by a group called the Barenaked Ladies, I would have told you you were nuts! That is an absolutely beautiful rendition of that song though!

Barbara
Old 09-26-2008, 05:30 AM   #5
Master Chef

My son has already started making his christmas list and right now it's 3 pages long (front & back). He's gonna be 12 in November and I still have him convinced there is a Santa Claus. My favorite christmas was when my husband and I set up a video camera facing the christmas tree and told my son it had a motion detector on it and when santa came to put presents under the tree we would get it on video. After he fell asleep the fun began. We video taped my husband from the knees down with black shoe on and red velvet & white fur trimmed pants legs walking around the tree, then we got a shot of his gloved hand closing the door as Santa left. We even left Santa's hat behind at the front door. We didn't have a fireplace at the time so I have this giant golden ceramic key with christmas ribbon on it that my son and I would leave hanging on the outside door knob for Santa to get in.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:12 AM   #6
Master Chef

I absolutely ADORE Christmas music!! I love the older versions, Bing, Nat,etc...
I love the Nutcracker music! I listen to our local Christmas channel every year. They are wonderful. That is all they play. I love the music and the lights, but, I hate Christmas!! I'm a Grinch with the rest of it!!
Old 09-26-2008, 08:19 AM   #7
Master Chef

My favorite christmas CD is Gladys Knight and the Pips - Christmas...
I've had it for almost 10 years and it's always the first one in the CD player when I start the christmas music going.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:02 AM   #8
Executive Chef

After being in retail for so many years and hearing music day after day, on a loop from the wednesday before Thanksgiving to New Years Day, I get so sick of it. It takes all the glory and wonder out of the holiday for us.
But I do have favs that they don't play;
'Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer'
'Welcome Christmas' CD by Matt King Trio
'O Holy Night' CD w/Luciano Pavorotti, National Philharmonic Orch. & Wandsworth Boys Choir.
I'm sure there's more, but those are what, when it's still in the 90's here, I could think of. It's not even Halloween yet! (My favorite day/night)
Old 09-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #9
Master Chef

TransSiberian Orchestra is one of my favorites. I also like the Cambridge singers Christmas Star album. If you're not familiar with them, they are a vocal group from England and their director takes traditional carols and does some amazing arrangements. He also has written some pretty awesome stuff as well. Some of their songs are a cappella and some with a full orchestra. Just a wonderful choir. There are times during Christmas that if I hear Rocking around the Christmas Tree or Santa Baby one more time I'll scream. I really prefer the carols.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:42 AM   #10
Cook

My husband has a CD called "Sombrero's and Snow, A tijuana Christmas" Its carols and golden oldies done in a mexican style!!! He bought it for a joke, but its actually really good and always puts us in the Christmas mood.