"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-16-2008, 10:37 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
DVR has given me A.D.D....
We purposely skip watching shows when they are on, just to avoid watching commercials.
Plus with kids it's awesome because like GB's garbage issue, just as soon as you are about to find out who shot JR, a kid wil run out of a room screaming about lost play-doh. REWIND ROCKS!
Yes you will miss the beginning of the show on the next channel, but we have a box that connects to 2 tv's..... so it can record 2 shows at once.
:)

Old 07-16-2008, 10:41 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight76 View Post
so with the jumping back of live TV, doesnt that just make you late to the start of the next program. As, in, if you want to change channels, and you have time shifted the channel you were on, you would lose time wouldnt you?

Hard to explain. You are on one channel, and have jumped back a total of 5 minutes due to toilet break etc, at the end of this show, you then switch channels to watch another show. Wouldnt you have missed the start of this newxt show?...

It all depends on how far back you skip. If you just want to catch a lost phrase etc, or even a minute or two, you can wait for the next commercial break and press the "back to live TV" button and catch up.

If your delay is longer than that, you just wait until the end of the night and finish watching TV at 11:05 instead of 11:00.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:42 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

We record every show we watch so that time shift does not matter.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:48 PM   #14
Senior Cook

The units in Australia only have a 160gb hard drive so can only store upto 30 hours of high def recording. That does not seem like much considering, the Tivo, constantly records the last half hour of the channel you are on, can automatically record programs that you like, and also automatically record series that you selec (season pass etc).

Do you think 30 hours would be ok? Apparently next year there is going to be an update or something available that will allow you to connect the Tivo to your computer and transfer files over your network, and also, allow you to plug in an external hard drive through an ESata port.

With the esata port, is this used in the states and do you have to buy the external drive from Tivo or can you use your own?
Old 07-17-2008, 12:15 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight76 View Post
Do you think 30 hours would be ok?
The standard DVR we had before switching over to HD DVR allowed 100 hours of recording. I was recording and saving a lot of shows and only ever used as high as 40%, but that's still more than 30 hours. The HD DVR I have now can store up to 200 hours of standard definition but I don't know exactly how many HD hours it can hold but I think its around 70 hours. I think max I've gotten is 55% full (mix definition).
Old 07-17-2008, 01:26 AM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I tell my best friend that DVR has saved our marriage! LOL That's being a little dramatic (it wasn't in trouble to begin with!), but seriously, I don't know how I lived without it! The only bad thing about it is, I have found myself wanting to rewind scenes in movies at the movie theater!

I don't know how it will work (hopefully the way the box says it will), but I found a great deal on a Sling Box (latest model). With that, I am supposed to be able to watch whatever is on my TV or DVR, anywhere in the world that has wireless access. I will get to try it out on our vacation to Iowa.

Barbara
Old 07-17-2008, 03:18 AM   #17
Master Chef

Believe it or not, I have never used either. So, glad you asked these questions as I have been thinking about it. Reminds me of the movie Click with Adam Sandler, I can think of a lot of things I would have either re-wound or fast forwarded thru!
Old 07-17-2008, 07:36 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
The only bad thing about it is, I have found myself wanting to rewind scenes in movies at the movie theater!
I am constantly trying to hit the non-existent rewind button on my car radio.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #19
Senior Cook

lol, GB! I do the same thing!
Old 07-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #20
Senior Cook

I have DVR with my cable company and love it. My daughter had Tivo and loved it, she now has direct tv and can't seem to get used to it. Not sure why. i have DVR on two televisions and can't imagine watching "live tv" hubby still getting used to it. Re. HD it takes up more space to save.