"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-16-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Tivo - your opinion

With Tivo just about to launch in Australia I am seriously considering buying one. I am wondering, since Tivo has been out in the US for quite a long time what your thoughts are of the technology.

In Australia, we are getting a Tivo with no ongoing subscription costs for the EPG, a small ish hard drive (160gb) and no network funtionality at the moment. Next year there is supposed to be an upgrade of the hard drive available and also the network functionality added.

Also, our Tivo does not skip adds like the US one does. It records High Definition content through twin high def tuners.

What are your thoughts on Tivo, usefull? Will it change the way people watch television in Australia? As in, being able to rewind live television, record things more easily etc?

Oh Crap, I just noticed I posted this in general cooking questions.

Ah, has anyone used their Tivo to cook anything?

Old 07-16-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Buy it! More later, no time now-

signed,
TiVo Fan

Old 07-16-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I don't have a TiVo per se but I have DirecTv that uses TiVo technology. TiVo is the bomb!! Don't know how I lived without it and I hate it when I travel and can't use the features. Love the pause and rewind features. Age must be taking a toll on my hearing because I'm always asking, "what'd he say?"

I have a hard drive and I keep lots of stuff on it, cooking shows for instance. I like to keep certain episodes for reference when I decide to make certain dishes. (how's that for tying it in to the section?) I also enjoy the 30 second commercial skips although I usually just use the fast forward. We hate watching live tv now because we can't forward through the commercials.

Oh and being able to record in HD IMHO is awesome! Can't wait until everything is in HD. DirecTv does have On Demand but right now, the selection is pretty slim. But I have found a couple of movies to download and it's pretty nice with high speed Internet access. I don't remember how long each movie took but it wasn't long.

So what else you want me to tell you so you'll buy it?
Old 07-16-2008, 08:57 PM   #4
Senior Cook

From memory it acts like a media streamer as well can't it? So you can stream content from your computer?

If so, what formats does it support playing.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I know there's some differences between Directv and Tivo services. I also know there's more capabilities than what I've listed. Maybe this will help: TiVo DVR Brings You Entertainment - TiVo
Old 07-16-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
With the DVR service, our cable company offers, I see no sense in buying a TiVo...but for all intensive purposes, it is basically the same thing, and I LOVE having a DVR, so if you have never had one, do it! I love having the ability to record stuff to my interests, while AF watches her reality mumbo jumbo, I just catch my stuff, at MY convenience.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:23 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

We have had a DVR for years. I would never want to go back to the "old way" of watching TV. Now whenever DW picks the very moment that they are reveling the big secret on the show I am watching to ask if I took out the trash I can just rewind and catch what they said. No more having to wait for a commercial break to go to the bathroom or grab a snack. I love being able to tell it to record every new episode of a show I like so I never miss an episode. DVR is the only way to watch TV. Tivo is the worst of the DVR type services as far as I am concerned, but it is still worth it.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #8
Sous Chef

i'm with gb, loves it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-16-2008, 10:02 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

GB convinced me to get the DVR function.

I can tape conflicting TV shows, watching one live and recording the other at the same time. But most of all, S.O. and I used to sit in front of the TV and keep asking each other, "What did he just say?". Now, we can get the answer. With the press of a button you can jump back a few seconds or more are repeat the key scene.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:32 PM   #10
Senior Cook

so with the jumping back of live TV, doesnt that just make you late to the start of the next program. As, in, if you want to change channels, and you have time shifted the channel you were on, you would lose time wouldnt you?

Hard to explain. You are on one channel, and have jumped back a total of 5 minutes due to toilet break etc, at the end of this show, you then switch channels to watch another show. Wouldnt you have missed the start of this newxt show?

Tivo may be the worst of the PVR's in the states, but here in Aus it is fairly well by itself with its features.