To Chief Longwind of the North

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

di reston

Sous Chef
Dear Chiefwind,

This is a request for help to help me find an article written by by ex- husband's uncle by marriage.

My reasons for turning to you are that I met him only once. He was an intrepid journalist in Buffalo, and was, by blood, a Seneca Indian. I'm talking about many years ago, but he was an amazing individual.

I don't really know whether the article refers to WW 11, or other wars like Vietnam, or conflicts between native born Indian, but I do know that, as a journalist, he was well known.

He wrote an article for his newspaper which was moving, dignified, and unforgettable. The final words were something like : "We will work until we turn the weapons of war become forged into the tools of peace". Both mighty and humble words. The item would have perhaps referred to war, or conflict. I have tried many times to discover the article, without success.
I hope you can help.

di reston

Words are mightier than the sword

A name or dates of birth, death, etc... would help.

This man died in 1955. His mother was Geneva Hortenese Griswoldof of Scots-English-American descent, she was a teacher on the reservation and married Frederick Ely Parker.

Arthur C. Parker

220px-Arthur_Caswell_Parker.jpg

I would go to the Chief for answers too... and spiritual advice. [emoji2]
I was wondering if she thought he might have particular knowledge of a Native American because his screen name sounds like he is one. He is smart and wise, but AFAIK, he is not Native American. And he's in the Michigan Upper Peninsula, not New York.

Last edited:
I thought I remembered the Chief mentioning that he had Native American in his blood. Thanks, Beth. Hopefully he will see this thread - I haven't seen him here in quite some time.

Thanks, Beth, I didn't remember that. I still think it's a bit of a stretch that he would be able to help her. Lots of people all across the country have some Native American ancestry.

Cheryl, I was thinking the same thing. I hope he and his wife are okay. Last time he was around, his wife had been pretty ill.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. His name was Mel Patterson, journalist and Seneca indian. I know it's like look for a needle in a hay stack. You guys have a great sense of humanity and decency. It looks like it's too difficult to get a result, but thanks for your effert. As ever, you're great guys and thanks for the effort.

Affectionaly di reston

Yes, the Chief is part Native American. And yes, he is a Youper.

His original username name was Goodweed of the North, but afyer he mentioned his ancestry, and with his penchant for long winded stories, the name Chief Longwind of the North was borne.

Thanks for the information. His name was Mel Patterson, journalist and Seneca indian. I know it's like look for a needle in a hay stack. You guys have a great sense of humanity and decency. It looks like it's too difficult to get a result, but thanks for your effert. As ever, you're great guys and thanks for the effort.

Affectionaly di reston

I found Mel Patterson, he wrote a column for the Tonawanda News in the 60's. This is the only patriotic column that I could find but I will look at a few more.
http://fultonhistory.com/Newspaper ...da NY Evening News 1967 Grayscale - 0150.pdf

Last edited:
come on Casey,

You don't think Chief LongWind is a real name?

or mine The Giggler,

I Really like the Bat Man hero,

The Riddler.

But my friends at school wouldn't go for it.

I've been reading the Iroquois and the New Deal (Tuscara) from the Buffalo NY Courier Express. It appears that Mel Patterson was a Rotarian. He tirelessly supported the Iroquois and also the Seneca Indians. I had no real idea about the history of those time, but they certainly seemed turbulent. I have an admiration for people of his ilk. I haven't finished reading the work mentioned above, but I'm amazed that they seemed to be such turbulent times. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Maybe one day I'll come across the article I'm searching, which would be nice, not only because it was very moving, but also of an eloquence rarely found.

di reston

Back
Top Bottom