To Do Before Buying the Farm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
This one is for Nick who suggested the topic!

Give us your To Do list of what you want to get done before buying the farm.

Number one on my list is to get enough money so I can afford to buy the farm! LOL Ok, bad joke, I know! I'll think of something and offer my list later.

:) Barbara

1. See the pyramids along the Nile
2. Watch the sunrise from a tropic isle (done that)
3. See the market place in old Algiers
4. Fly the ocean in a silver plane (done that)
5. See the jungle when it's wet with rain (done that)
6. Hope that the farm is not for sale.

Just joking. Like Barbara, I need to think on this one.

I'm definetly a list-orientated person, and have numbered agendas all over my apartment. This is a great philosophical question I think all people should constantly contemplate and assess.

1. Understand "me" to the fullest extent possible in the time I have.

2. I would like to make a genuine contribution to society. Develop something that betters the lives of all. It doesn't have to be the cure to cancer or key to free/clean fusion energy, just something that advances us forward as a group of organisms.

3. Roast a whole chicken that is perfectly cooked throughout and with crisp skin all-around... :LOL:

4. Live life, rather than stumble through it. Sometimes I start getting attached to things (like my job or material things) because they are comforting and provide a sense of security (whether physically, financially, or whatever). But usually this just seems to cap potential and limit my growth as an individual when I "indulge".

Ok, enough thinking for me. Off to do some cooking!

Wasabi, I love it! How many people here are old enough to get it? I always DID want to see the market in Algiers, but unfortunately that part of the world may not be pleasant for very tall blonds any more!

Seriously, I want to go back to Europe for an extended trip. Not days or weeks, but months. I'd like to see the sites of my childhood (Paris, Wiesbaden, Landsuhl), and especially some eastern European cities that were off-limits when we were young. One of my earliest childhood memories is the Calais/Dover ferry crossing, and I think I'd like to do that. Mostly, though, I'm fortunate in that at approaching 52, I've done a lot of what I want to do.

Nic, one thing I've learned in life is that it is pretty hard to "make a contribution" as you put it. Many years ago I learned this lesson: you can only do so much. Try to make your little corner of the world a better place. If we all did that with our little corner, the world would be a better place.

Make your home a place your friends and family want to be.
Make sure your local food bank is always full of food.
Make sure no one you know ever spends a holiday dinner alone.
That closet full of clothes you never wear, that kitchen stuff well meaning friends gave you? Goodwill/Amvets/Salvation Army

I'm discouraged by the number of people I know who cannot let go of material things. If you aren't using it, give it to someone who needs it.

Nicholas Mosher said:
I'm definetly a list-orientated person, and have numbered agendas all over my apartment. This is a great philosophical question I think all people should constantly contemplate and assess.

1. Understand "me" to the fullest extent possible in the time I have.

2. I would like to make a genuine contribution to society. Develop something that betters the lives of all. It doesn't have to be the cure to cancer or key to free/clean fusion energy, just something that advances us forward as a group of organisms.

3. Roast a whole chicken that is perfectly cooked throughout and with crisp skin all-around... :LOL:

4. Live life, rather than stumble through it. Sometimes I start getting attached to things (like my job or material things) because they are comforting and provide a sense of security (whether physically, financially, or whatever). But usually this just seems to cap potential and limit my growth as an individual when I "indulge".

Ok, enough thinking for me. Off to do some cooking!

nicholas, were you just playing the game on sesame street "one of the things is not like the other"? me too. it's one of my favourites.

:)

if we're getting philosphical, i'd like the ability for multiple simultaneous perception. aka enlightenment, or god.

I would like to travel the Yangze River, walk some of the Great Wall, Tour as many South Pacific islands and surf the hidden breaks as I can, make amends with anyone I might of had issues with in the past, Go skiing in the Alps(French/Swiss/Italian), learn as much about other cultures as humanly possible(working on that).

Mine is very simple (more than likely boring to others) but I just want to be the best person that I can be. Be able to learn from life, teach some things to my grandkids and enjoy all the little things that most miss.

Lord if you want me, at least let me have prepared for the care of my family.

Other than that, I would like to go fishing at least once more.

I would enjoy personally meeting some of the people on this forum before I cook my last dish.

Tom

I wish I could relax. I dont have a woman I love and that loves me.
There is a huge hole in my existance. I drink alcohol to fill that hole and to forget. Alas I have two really darn cool cats. *shrug*

DS, don't despair.

My gfil (I hate these abbreviations) didn't marry until he was 45.

Married a chick of 27, they had three children, and he lived into his ninties. He and his wife were crazy about each other, even though the depression left them poor to the end of his days.

Sorry I never got to meet him.

So hang in there.

As far as the booze goes I remember a quote from W. C. Fields:

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde once. She drove me to drink; that's the one thing I'm indebted to her for."

That has nothing whatever to do with the topic, but I thought it might give you a chuckle.

Happy new year.

I think I have every thing I really need. Thanks to my wonderful husband. He's given me love and the family that I had always dreamed of.
But I sure would love to see more of the world. I'd love to go to Africa and see a herd of elephants and feel the earth shake as they run by.

Back
Top Bottom