"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2017, 07:38 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
If something is wrinkly it goes back in the dryer with a damp hand towel.
Meee too!! That's a great trick.

I also used to use a product called Downy Wrinkle Releaser, on wrinkled clothes...hang, spray and hand smooth the fabric. It works like magic, but you can make a very cheap version in an empty spray bottle. Ten parts water to one part fabric softener with one part alcohol.
Can you tell I detest ironing?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:28 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
+2 for a damp towel!

I own an iron and board but haven't used it since retiring 10 years ago.
I know that should I get rid of them, that's when I'd REALLY need to iron something

My Mother is an ironing freak!
She MUST iron everything that is iron-able ... she liked it
so much that when I was a kid she would go to other folks homes
and iron for them, for free!
Now, she is like you Addie and can't handle her old wooden
ironing board or old iron that weighed a TON!
So I got her one of those new fangled lighter irons and
an ironing mat
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HS7CC9K...a-348265166380
she loves it!

Old 10-28-2017, 10:36 PM   #13
Master Chef

+3 on the putting-back-in-the-dryer with a damp towel.

I can't remember the last time I used my iron.

Wash and wear all the way - almost. The few times I have a need to wear my 'nice' clothes that require extra care, I just take them to the cleaners.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:07 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

+1 for screwing up the laundry and ironing so bad that your wife doesn't ever want you near the machines, or ironing board, or anywhere that could affect her clothing. Or yours, tangentially.

Actually, I'm not sure of the psychology behind it, but my wife appears to get a sense of achievement from washing, ironing, and vacuuming. She vacuums so much that it wears out the carpet, and she's actually asked me if I have anything to wash, then asked if the shirt THAT I WAS WEARING was dirty.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:24 AM   #15
Executive Chef

+4 damp towel and back in the dryer for a bit. Dress shirts go to the laundry!

Don't do this one. It is neither a time saver nor makes ironing easier. Dining room table is big. Table cloth is even bigger. Ironing board is littler. Therefore, lay the table cloth on the table and think you can iron it direct. I got through that many steps. When the iron barely touched the tablecloth, I heard a very distinct crackle and sizzle. Ok set up ironing board and do it the traditional way.

First chase the cat upstairs and close the door so she doesn't snag the tablecloth. Put on some music so you think she is singing along rather than yowling. Iron out the wrinkles, If there aren't any, just iron out the fold lines. Lay the tablecloth on the table evenly. Then carefully fold it into thirds across the middle of the table until it's time to set the table for dinner. Otherwise the cat will use it as a skating rink and all your work will be for naught. Remind the cat she's going back upstairs when she sees the good dishes coming out of the china cabinet. Ironing is the easy part and it's a good thing it only happens once in awhile.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:24 AM   #16
Head Chef

+5 But I also found out that if your clothes come out of the dryer looking wrinkled, wearing them put the wrinkles back in the right places.

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:47 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
...but you can make a very cheap version in an empty spray bottle. Ten parts water to one part fabric softener with one part alcohol...
Rubbing? Or the extra vodka you can't drink?

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:50 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
SO irons our tablecloths and napkins (just the cloth ones)...
If you have enough flat surfaces, I have a trick. I used to iron our cloth napkins. Found out if I shake them with a "snap" and smooth them flat on a table, they dry nicely with no wrinkles. We have a few folding tables set up in the basement for when I dry sweaters, so I spread the napkins out there. Easy-peasy.

I do have curtains I will iron out. Our summer ones in the family room are cafe style; Mom had them in her kitchen for years. Happy memories... I'm wearing the life out of them until they fall apart in the wash.

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:55 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I'm an habitual ironer. I really enjoy ironing. Always have. It's relaxing to me and I see immediate gratification from my efforts.

I iron all our shirts/tops/blouses that are ironable. I also iron all pillowcases and the top wide hems of the top sheets. Since we only use cloth napkins, they're ironed, too. Table covers as well. All our windows have custom treatments so no curtains to wash or iron.

Yes, it know it's crazy but it's how I roll and it makes me happy.
I completely understand. I find ironing very relaxing. Set the board up in front of the TV, have my cup within reach along with my extra large spray bottle filled and I will iron everything in sight. Don't walk by with wrinkles on any of your clothes. If you don't give it to me immediately, you may find yourself up on the ironing board face down first then I will flip you over to iron the front.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:45 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

+6 on the damp towel in the dryer. I dislike ironing and do it as little as possible.

Funny story - to me, anyway After we married, DH joined the Navy. After boot camp, he was assigned to meteorology school at Chanute Air Force Base in Rantoul, IL. Of course, he had to wear military dungarees to school and the shirts and pants had to be ironed very precisely.

Would you believe he expected me to do it? Ha! He joined the military, not me! Iron your own dang dungarees! I will not be responsible for any railroad tracks down the front of your pants!