To iron out all of life's wrinkles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
How many of you still iron most of your laundry? When I first got married, I even ironed my husband's boxer shorts along with the sheets and pillow cases. That came to a stop when my oldest entered school. I ironed all her school dresses. In the summer I ironed all the play shorts and tops for all my kids. I also ironed my house dresses.

Now I happened to like to iron. I find the time spent doing it restful. Then came polyester and other wrinkle free clothes. I had joined the working world and did less ironing. But I had to have that sharp crease in my slacks.

Today I have an iron. I had one with a tank that held about 10 cups of water. I loved that iron. But it just became too heavy for me to pick up. To go with that iron I also had an ancient all wooden ironing board. It was huge. A very cranky board when trying to set it up. With crooked fingers and arthritis, both had to go. So today I have a simple iron and not board. A really thick bath towel on the table has to do. But I sure do miss having an ironing board.

So how much ironing do any of you do? Am I the only one who irons her tablecloths, blouses, and other items?

SO irons our tablecloths and napkins (just the cloth ones). When she washes curtains they get ironed.

I will press slacks or touch up a shirt as needed for an event that warrants it. Otherwise, we don't iron much.

SO irons our tablecloths and napkins (just the cloth ones). When she washes curtains they get ironed.

I will press slacks or touch up a shirt as needed for an event that warrants it. Otherwise, we don't iron much.

I have always enjoyed ironing. My sister HATED doing it. She had a very large appliance box that she would toss all her ironing in. Once a week I would head for her house with my iron and she would set up two ironing boards. Once all the kiddies were in school, we would iron until they came home in the afternoon.

I'm a seamstress and quilt maker who prefers to work with 100% cotton. I have two irons and two ironing boards and one is always set up. I iron blouses and shirts on a regular basis, and need to iron the material when I am making blouses and shirts. I don't do any other unnecessary ironing.

I have always enjoyed ironing. My sister HATED doing it. She had a very large appliance box that she would toss all her ironing in. Once a week I would head for her house with my iron and she would set up two ironing boards. Once all the kiddies were in school, we would iron until they came home in the afternoon.

Addie, when I was a young teen (around 14-15) I was watching my mom iron and asked if I could try it. I ironed one of my shirts and mom pronounced that I did a great job and was now responsible for all my own ironing.

When I was newly divorced, I had to wash and iron my own dress shirts. I got pretty good at it and could do a dress shirt in about ten minutes. So once every two weeks I'd iron a dozen shirts and be done with it. As soon as I could afford to send out my dress shirts, I stopped.

I'm a seamstress and quilt maker who prefers to work with 100% cotton. I have two irons and two ironing boards and one is always set up. I iron blouses and shirts on a regular basis, and need to iron the material when I am making blouses and shirts. I don't do any other unnecessary ironing.

One of the reasons I iron today is that I developed over time an allergy to synthetic materials. So I too buy only 100% cotton. But even though all my bedding is 100% cotton, I no longer iron the sheets and pillow cases.

Irony. It's the opposite of wrinkly!

I haven't even owned an iron since around 2002. I have one of those clothes steamer thingies but the only time I take it out of the closet is to get at something behind it!

Our dryer broke, we haven't figured it out yet. I took the clothes out of the wash and hung them up with clothespins on the lines outside. They were wrinkled and I tried to pull them flat but they looked pretty hopeless. I left them out overnight and the wind picked up, and they all lost their wrinkles and they looked pretty good. It's called solar and wind powered drying.

I'm an habitual ironer. I really enjoy ironing. Always have. It's relaxing to me and I see immediate gratification from my efforts.

I iron all our shirts/tops/blouses that are ironable. I also iron all pillowcases and the top wide hems of the top sheets. Since we only use cloth napkins, they're ironed, too. Table covers as well. All our windows have custom treatments so no curtains to wash or iron.

Yes, it know it's crazy but it's how I roll and it makes me happy.

If something is wrinkly it goes back in the dryer with a damp hand towel.

Meee too!! That's a great trick. ;)

I also used to use a product called Downy Wrinkle Releaser, on wrinkled clothes...hang, spray and hand smooth the fabric. It works like magic, but you can make a very cheap version in an empty spray bottle. Ten parts water to one part fabric softener with one part alcohol.
Can you tell I detest ironing?

+2 for a damp towel!

I own an iron and board but haven't used it since retiring 10 years ago.
I know that should I get rid of them, that's when I'd REALLY need to iron something :LOL:

My Mother is an ironing freak!
She MUST iron everything that is iron-able ... she liked it
so much that when I was a kid she would go to other folks homes
and iron for them, for free!
Now, she is like you Addie and can't handle her old wooden
ironing board or old iron that weighed a TON!
So I got her one of those new fangled lighter irons and
an ironing mat
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HS7CC9...t=&hvlocphy=9030336&hvtargid=pla-348265166380
she loves it!

+3 on the putting-back-in-the-dryer with a damp towel.

I can't remember the last time I used my iron. :ermm::LOL:

Wash and wear all the way - almost. The few times I have a need to wear my 'nice' clothes that require extra care, I just take them to the cleaners.

+1 for screwing up the laundry and ironing so bad that your wife doesn't ever want you near the machines, or ironing board, or anywhere that could affect her clothing. Or yours, tangentially.

Actually, I'm not sure of the psychology behind it, but my wife appears to get a sense of achievement from washing, ironing, and vacuuming. She vacuums so much that it wears out the carpet, and she's actually asked me if I have anything to wash, then asked if the shirt THAT I WAS WEARING was dirty.

Last edited:
+4 damp towel and back in the dryer for a bit. Dress shirts go to the laundry!

Don't do this one. It is neither a time saver nor makes ironing easier. Dining room table is big. Table cloth is even bigger. Ironing board is littler. Therefore, lay the table cloth on the table and think you can iron it direct. I got through that many steps. When the iron barely touched the tablecloth, I heard a very distinct crackle and sizzle. Ok set up ironing board and do it the traditional way.

First chase the cat upstairs and close the door so she doesn't snag the tablecloth. Put on some music so you think she is singing along rather than yowling. Iron out the wrinkles, If there aren't any, just iron out the fold lines. Lay the tablecloth on the table evenly. Then carefully fold it into thirds across the middle of the table until it's time to set the table for dinner. Otherwise the cat will use it as a skating rink and all your work will be for naught. Remind the cat she's going back upstairs when she sees the good dishes coming out of the china cabinet. Ironing is the easy part and it's a good thing it only happens once in awhile.

+5 But I also found out that if your clothes come out of the dryer looking wrinkled, wearing them put the wrinkles back in the right places.

SO irons our tablecloths and napkins (just the cloth ones)...
If you have enough flat surfaces, I have a trick. I used to iron our cloth napkins. Found out if I shake them with a "snap" and smooth them flat on a table, they dry nicely with no wrinkles. We have a few folding tables set up in the basement for when I dry sweaters, so I spread the napkins out there. Easy-peasy.

I do have curtains I will iron out. Our summer ones in the family room are cafe style; Mom had them in her kitchen for years. Happy memories... :wub: I'm wearing the life out of them until they fall apart in the wash.

I'm an habitual ironer. I really enjoy ironing. Always have. It's relaxing to me and I see immediate gratification from my efforts.

I iron all our shirts/tops/blouses that are ironable. I also iron all pillowcases and the top wide hems of the top sheets. Since we only use cloth napkins, they're ironed, too. Table covers as well. All our windows have custom treatments so no curtains to wash or iron.

Yes, it know it's crazy but it's how I roll and it makes me happy.

I completely understand. I find ironing very relaxing. Set the board up in front of the TV, have my cup within reach along with my extra large spray bottle filled and I will iron everything in sight. Don't walk by with wrinkles on any of your clothes. If you don't give it to me immediately, you may find yourself up on the ironing board face down first then I will flip you over to iron the front.

+6 on the damp towel in the dryer. I dislike ironing and do it as little as possible.

Funny story - to me, anyway [emoji38] After we married, DH joined the Navy. After boot camp, he was assigned to meteorology school at Chanute Air Force Base in Rantoul, IL. Of course, he had to wear military dungarees to school and the shirts and pants had to be ironed very precisely.

Would you believe he expected me to do it? Ha! He joined the military, not me! Iron your own dang dungarees! I will not be responsible for any railroad tracks down the front of your pants! :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom