"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2017, 02:52 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

To iron out all of life's wrinkles

How many of you still iron most of your laundry? When I first got married, I even ironed my husband's boxer shorts along with the sheets and pillow cases. That came to a stop when my oldest entered school. I ironed all her school dresses. In the summer I ironed all the play shorts and tops for all my kids. I also ironed my house dresses.

Now I happened to like to iron. I find the time spent doing it restful. Then came polyester and other wrinkle free clothes. I had joined the working world and did less ironing. But I had to have that sharp crease in my slacks.

Today I have an iron. I had one with a tank that held about 10 cups of water. I loved that iron. But it just became too heavy for me to pick up. To go with that iron I also had an ancient all wooden ironing board. It was huge. A very cranky board when trying to set it up. With crooked fingers and arthritis, both had to go. So today I have a simple iron and not board. A really thick bath towel on the table has to do. But I sure do miss having an ironing board.

So how much ironing do any of you do? Am I the only one who irons her tablecloths, blouses, and other items?

Old 10-28-2017, 02:58 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

SO irons our tablecloths and napkins (just the cloth ones). When she washes curtains they get ironed.

I will press slacks or touch up a shirt as needed for an event that warrants it. Otherwise, we don't iron much.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:22 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
SO irons our tablecloths and napkins (just the cloth ones). When she washes curtains they get ironed.

I will press slacks or touch up a shirt as needed for an event that warrants it. Otherwise, we don't iron much.
I have always enjoyed ironing. My sister HATED doing it. She had a very large appliance box that she would toss all her ironing in. Once a week I would head for her house with my iron and she would set up two ironing boards. Once all the kiddies were in school, we would iron until they came home in the afternoon.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:49 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I'm a seamstress and quilt maker who prefers to work with 100% cotton. I have two irons and two ironing boards and one is always set up. I iron blouses and shirts on a regular basis, and need to iron the material when I am making blouses and shirts. I don't do any other unnecessary ironing.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have always enjoyed ironing. My sister HATED doing it. She had a very large appliance box that she would toss all her ironing in. Once a week I would head for her house with my iron and she would set up two ironing boards. Once all the kiddies were in school, we would iron until they came home in the afternoon.
Addie, when I was a young teen (around 14-15) I was watching my mom iron and asked if I could try it. I ironed one of my shirts and mom pronounced that I did a great job and was now responsible for all my own ironing.

When I was newly divorced, I had to wash and iron my own dress shirts. I got pretty good at it and could do a dress shirt in about ten minutes. So once every two weeks I'd iron a dozen shirts and be done with it. As soon as I could afford to send out my dress shirts, I stopped.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I'm a seamstress and quilt maker who prefers to work with 100% cotton. I have two irons and two ironing boards and one is always set up. I iron blouses and shirts on a regular basis, and need to iron the material when I am making blouses and shirts. I don't do any other unnecessary ironing.
One of the reasons I iron today is that I developed over time an allergy to synthetic materials. So I too buy only 100% cotton. But even though all my bedding is 100% cotton, I no longer iron the sheets and pillow cases.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:42 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

If something is wrinkly it goes back in the dryer with a damp hand towel.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:57 PM   #8
Master Chef

Irony. It's the opposite of wrinkly!

I haven't even owned an iron since around 2002. I have one of those clothes steamer thingies but the only time I take it out of the closet is to get at something behind it!
Old 10-28-2017, 05:01 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Our dryer broke, we haven't figured it out yet. I took the clothes out of the wash and hung them up with clothespins on the lines outside. They were wrinkled and I tried to pull them flat but they looked pretty hopeless. I left them out overnight and the wind picked up, and they all lost their wrinkles and they looked pretty good. It's called solar and wind powered drying.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:27 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm an habitual ironer. I really enjoy ironing. Always have. It's relaxing to me and I see immediate gratification from my efforts.

I iron all our shirts/tops/blouses that are ironable. I also iron all pillowcases and the top wide hems of the top sheets. Since we only use cloth napkins, they're ironed, too. Table covers as well. All our windows have custom treatments so no curtains to wash or iron.

Yes, it know it's crazy but it's how I roll and it makes me happy.