"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-29-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
Master Chef

To my DC Family and Friends

DC is a place where none of us can see each other, or touch each other, except in the purest sense, through our minds and thoughts. That frees us to be closer to each other, to be more open, if we so choose, without worry of ridicule, or little power clicks, etc. We are able to express ourselves because of a certain anonimity, (sp) that we aren't usually afforded in our regular world. Though we don't have some of the visual cues provided by body-language, we also aren't misread because of tonal differences in the voice, or the wrong facial expression, that can often time be misread.

Because of that freedom, and the honesty it inspires, I feel a trust and bond with many here, all who I know in fact. And there are far too many of you to wish good things to on a personal basis. I have a select few "brothers" and you know who you are. But we are all family here.

And so, I wish each and every one of you a great new year, and a belated Merry Christmas.

This past year has seen exciting and wonderful events, and heartbreak in our community. Through it all, we have been there for each other, just as I know we are for our own families outside of DC. Thank you all for being a part of humanity that makes the world a better place in which to live.

This, from the bottom of my heart.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:05 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Neeney
I've only been a member for less than a month, but GOD BLESS YOU!

Your post touches my heart, and I so look forward to DC in 2009. I, also, thank everyone here for all your welcomes, smiles, and humor.

Happy New Year,

Janine

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I am a 7 year breast cancer survivor. Mammograms save lives. I wouldn't be here today if it weren't for the mammogram. Please, call today for a mammogram if you haven't had one or are late for yours.
Neeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Head Chef

Well said Goodweed - may 2009 be a happy, prosperous year for us all!
Old 12-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Raising my glass to that!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
DC is a place where none of us can see each other, or touch each other, except in the purest sense, through our minds and thoughts. That frees us to be closer to each other, to be more open, if we so choose, without worry of ridicule, or little power clicks, etc. We are able to express ourselves because of a certain anonimity, (sp) that we aren't usually afforded in our regular world. Though we don't have some of the visual cues provided by body-language, we also aren't misread because of tonal differences in the voice, or the wrong facial expression, that can often time be misread.

Because of that freedom, and the honesty it inspires, I feel a trust and bond with many here, all who I know in fact. And there are far too many of you to wish good things to on a personal basis. I have a select few "brothers" and you know who you are. But we are all family here.

And so, I wish each and every one of you a great new year, and a belated Merry Christmas.

This past year has seen exciting and wonderful events, and heartbreak in our community. Through it all, we have been there for each other, just as I know we are for our own families outside of DC. Thank you all for being a part of humanity that makes the world a better place in which to live.

This, from the bottom of my heart.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Thank you, Robert. You said it perfectly.

Without DC my life would be empty. My DC family was truly a source of support and love when Buck died in June. I couldn't have made it through his death without all of you.

In the ensuing weeks/months you all have put your arms around me and given me your strong, broad shoulders. There are no words to express how grateful I am for that.

The wisdom, information and humor this family offers is second to none. Buck always said this was the premier site on the Internet. He couldn't have been more right.

Thanks to all...established and new...who are members of Discuss Cooking. You are the cream of the crop.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:15 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Hugs to you all. You're all great in your own special ways. Thank you.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:43 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I could find no place else that could possibly compare!!(not that I looked)
Theres no place like home!!

{{{Love you guys!!}}}}

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:47 PM   #8
Head Chef

Thanks for expressing what so many of us feel, GW. We are a community. I feel so grateful to be a part of it. Thanks to all of you for the good ideas, the encouragement, the laughter, the tears, the genuine love and support that I have experienced this year through DC. I look forward to a good 2009 with all of you, as well as those who are lucky enough to find us in the months ahead.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:53 PM   #9
Master Chef

Amen to that GW... the feeling is mutual and echoed back out to the wonderful people here at DC.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:02 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Ahh GW,
having been a recipient of the love and caring of this cyber family. I agree with you fully..Your posts have always touched me and made me stop and think..All of you here had a large part in my recovery from serious illness..Without all of you I don't know if I would have made it..Now it's my turn to be here for any of you who need me...How lucky we are to have found each other. May this new year ahead bring us peace and love and the power to give and help each other as we have done before..Just remember we cannot see each other so if unsure about a certain post PM that person, get to know them, once you do and know their sense of humor and wit life here will be a lot more fun and you can reach out to one and all without fear
Love to you all
cj (kadesma)