"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #11
Head Chef

As mentioned above , just a simple smile , some eye contact and a response to thank you would have satisfied me. Honestly, any more than that sometimes could be annoying. Again, she wasn't verbally rude, just kinda socially incompetent, which is kind of a strange characteristic to have with a job like that.

I kept my head up high, and was the better person. I did tip %20, but my intentioned would have made it about %28 if she had just made a few minor changes.

Another situation that annoys me is when eating in a restaurant, and they print the suggested tip on the bottom ( already figured into the price and printed on the bottom).

This was done to me in a restaurant in Times Square. Im sure they run into the situation of people from different countries or cultures ( or possibly even other cities or states) that tip less or differently, since it is primarily a tourist location, so they want to try and guarantee themselves a tip on par for what is expected. But it kind of annoys me when Im told what I should tip, and it is already figured out for me and worked into the price. Im sure many of the tourists fall for it and just sign on the dotted line, no knowing that it is just suggested, and you have the option to pay whatever tip you want. Whats bad for them, is under all the situatons this has happened to me, their suggested tip is always less than what I was going to leave. But it annoyed me so much, that I just left their ' suggested tip' amount.

Getting back to my original situation, If she were mean, rude or nasty, It would have definitely reflected in the tip ( if I left anything at all), but because the service and food were good, and it was a mini-vacation ( without the kids), I didnt want something simple like this to change my mood. I was more just curious what everyone else thought about the situation.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:01 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
That's her day to day character and personality. There are people like that everywhere, in all professions. Bottom line, people like that should never work in businesses where they involve customer service, regardless of type of business. She shouldn't be punished, she should be in a different line of work where there's no customer/client interaction.

In this case, she's probably the owner's niece.....the owner probably knows she's bad for business, but need her help out front, regardless.
Bad manners is never acceptable in society, it doesn't matter where you work, and yes there are people like that in all professions. The DMV is a prime example of rude customer service that's not bad enough to be reportable, but rude enough to make everyone I know hate to go there.
A smile, please, thank you, and you're welcome would be refreshing and so appreciated no matter where one works.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:29 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
...Another situation that annoys me is when eating in a restaurant, and they print the suggested tip on the bottom ( already figured into the price and printed on the bottom)...

We vacation in Aruba in the winter. It's a common, though not universal, practice for restaurants to add a 15% "service charge" to your check. The unaware will not notice it and add a standard tip. If you ask the server, they will tell you that service charge is not for them and that it goes to the owner or some other line.

I always look for the SC and add another 5% or so if it's deserved.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:40 PM   #14
Sous Chef

If the food was good and timely and we were not demanding or expecting special attention, we would tip her at least the minimum. It might be the kind of restaurant that gets customers that are in hurry because they are doing exactly what you did, eat, relax, see a show and the majority having no interest in chit-chatting with a stranger. I think it's different if you want a relaxing meal with lots of attention,time and service.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #15
Executive Chef

A little of topic, but this thread reminded me of something that occurred while on vacation last month.
Publix stores are well known for their excellent customer service. And this store I was in was no exception. I could not walk down an isle without an employee asking me if I needed any help. It even got irritating they were so customer oriented.

As I waited in line at the sandwich making area, A new manager was behind the counter and i got to be the lucky customer he was serving.
He was having difficulty. He even started on someone else's sandwich while he was in the middle of making mine.
I started to joke with him sarcastically and when he did not respond, I asked if he knew what sarcasm was. He said NO, and he did not like sarcasm. "I don't like it" was his response. He got kind of rude with me actually. I knew he pushed my button because I'm certain I was kind of mad.

So, I told him had the store manager heard the way he spoke to me, he would be out that F'ing door.
Thats when I thought I might have an issue with another customer who stuck his nose in.

I told the store manager on the way out. The manager wanted to pay for the sandwich and I refused as The store was fine. It was just this one guy, this one time.
I cannot remember the last time I felt like i did that day.
Not only was the employee out of line, I thought I might need/have to fight the other nosy customer who corrected me about the language I used.

What say you? Me? The employee? Or the nosy customer trying to be superman?
Old 09-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

If the guy was new, he was probably very stressed trying keep up so customers would be happy. You innocently amped up his stress with your comments. If the extent of his rudeness was the tone of his "I don't like it." comment, I would have let it slide.

As to the intrusive customer, I would have ignored her/him. If he persisted, I'd say something like, "I wasn't talking to you."
Old 09-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #17
Master Chef

RB, putting myself in the sandwich guys position, a sarcastic remark would have po'd me big time, especially when you asked if he knew what sarcasm was.Working with the public really sucks sometimes. If I was the other customer, I would have done the same. I'm sorry to hear you reported him, as it sounds like you were the rude one. Sorry, but you asked.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

RB, I have to agree with Andy and Kayelle.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:16 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

I agree as well. You spoke sarcastically to someone trying to do a new job, then verbally abused him when he said he didn't like sarcasm, then continued to escalate things when he did not react to you. Did you expect that this behavior would result in better customer service? The customer is not always right.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
We vacation in Aruba in the winter. It's a common, though not universal, practice for restaurants to add a 15% "service charge" to your check. The unaware will not notice it and add a standard tip. If you ask the server, they will tell you that service charge is not for them and that it goes to the owner or some other line.

I always look for the SC and add another 5% or so if it's deserved.

Same thing in Mexico. Not all, but many restaurants do this. We're pretty generous tippers, and if the food was good, so is the tip. I don't like being hovered over, but Larry's waitress was definitely disengaged. Hopefully the staff split tips.