Today's Superstorm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
They said on the weather report that the storm that has been moving down through the midwest, toward the east and southeast, is the strongest land storm on record. I hope none of you have been or will be adversely affected by it.

A report a few minutes later said (and showed) there have been roofs ripped off of homes, schools, and businesses in Indiana and Wisconsin, buildings leveled and trees uprooted and broken in half in Wisconsin, a car hit by a flying grain silo in Kentucky. I haven't heard of any injuries or deaths, and I pray that there won't be any. I think they said it should slow down by the time it gets here, but it is still supposed to be strong. It is supposed to cool down a lot here by the end of the week.

Stay safe everyone.

:huh:Barbara

Wow I just turned on The Weather Channel. It is coming this way and it looks like we are in the edge of the severe storms for tonight, sometime after 10 PM.

They just said that it is equivalent to a Category 3 hurricane. It is supposed to hit us tonight too. There are tornado watches to the west of us.

They just said that it is equivalent to a Category 3 hurricane. It is supposed to hit us tonight too. There are tornado watches to the west of us.

I think they were referring to the barometric pressure of the storm...not winds speeds...A Cat 3 Hurricane has Sustained winds between 111-130 MPH ~~~ Still a dangerous storm with the most danger coming from spin off Tornadoes! So watch the weather closely!!

Midwest storm pressure equivalent of Category 3 hurricane

Yes, you're right, it is because of the low pressure. The winds are pretty fierce in places, but it is not sustained.

Many of the counties to the west and north of us are under tornado watches and warnings right now.

I'm not a weather worry-wart, but after seeing the damage throughout the midwest, I just got to thinking about DC members in those areas.

:)Barbara

It got pretty windy here tonight, but nothing like they are getting in the Midwest. I'm pretty snug in my valley...it is snowing, though.

ok here, only had tornado watch in my part of the state, we received high winds, and two inches of rain:w00t2:.....really needed the rain, don't think we had any since June:(

I was watching the progress of my sister who traveled to NM yesterday. She got caught in the tornado warnings in Columbus OH, but her flight didn't leave until 4:00 pm after the storm had passed through. Only problem she had was in Denver where the plane from Dayton OH was delayed in leaving, for her final leg to Albuquerque. She got into Albuquerque 1 1/2 hours late, not bad for being in a record breaking storm.

rain last night and rain all day but that's about it. Still under tornado watch until 8 PM ... but things look clear at the moment.

Nothing here at all, in the way of rain. A little breezy, but that was it. There are still tornado warnings and watches in several counties near here. They just said there was a strong tornado in a county northwest of us.

:mellow:Barbara
P.S. Last night they changed what they said about the strength of the "superstorm" in the midwest, saying it was the 2nd biggest land storm in recorded history, not the worst.

Last edited:
Is anybody thinking like I'm thinking that the huge storms may be related to the recent batch of earthquakes?

When I looked at the radar yesterday, there was a line of huge hurricane shaped storms across the North American continent, and have been moving Northward into Canada.

Batten the hatches you guys, it looks like a rough one coming your way.

I haven't even looked outside, yet. But Shrek had to let the car run for about 5 minutes before heading out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom