"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I'm sorry to hear you have an ingrown toe nail, ITK and I'm sorry you have to have it removed. I had this done about 20 years ago. I was awake - they gave me a local all around the base of my toe. That hurt a fair amount. Then they just cut out the side of my toenail that was ingrown all the way down to the root. Yes, they used some big plier looking things but it was numb so I couldn't feel it.

But I will tell you that it hurt a lot when the numbness went away. Honestly, I'd rather have all my children all over again in one day rather than do that toenail thing again! Part of it was they gave me some codeine for pain and I have a bad reaction to it. It didn't really stop the pain - just made me cry for no reason whatsoever.

Anyway, an ingrown toenail is really painful, too, so there's no choice but to get it taken care of. My advice is to make sure there is someone there to take care of you for a day or so because it hurts the most when you put your foot down. So stay in bed with your toe elevated and let someone pamper you. (Actually, Pampers aren't such a bad idea since it's hard to scoot to the bathroom without putting weight on your foot.) Also, quit wearing shoes ever again the rest of your life so you will never get another ingrown toenail. That's what I did and so far so good!

I may be joking around a little but really, I'm sorry you have to go through this, my friend and I'll be praying it goes smoothly and painlessly for you.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #12
Head Chef

I had one of mine removed because it kept getting ingrown. He did it in the office. I wasn't knocked out (he gave me shots around the toe kinda like they do when you're getting a tooth pulled), didn't feel a thing. It did hurt for the first day or so but it wasn't too bad. It took awhile but it grew back and never gets ingrown now. That was about 12 years ago. You'll be glad you did it!

Old 07-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
I don't like feet, they gross me out.... like wierd deformed hands.
If I wear sandals or flip-flops out of the house, I gotta pretty 'em up with polish, toe rings and ankle bracelets.
I know, nobody asked. Sorry.
see? that is why I ask! feet are supposed to be used for walking but when someone looks at them they usually think that they aren't pretty. As far as wearing sandals, even when people polish their nails, it doesn't really change their appearance. But then if they don't have toenails, that is really not good.

pdswife-I know this doesn't bother PAUL one bit cause he knows you still love him. This is the way it should be. So thankful you let me know what he went through. Probably what I can look forward to. Being awake. But you did say he said there was pain? Oh well, what else is new? Surgery is not like eating piece of pie that makes you feel good!

B'sgirl, you don't know if he still has any pain? We all have to use our feet and if they pain sure doesn't make your life easy. I only wonder why some people get them and others don't. Must be something I did or didn't do? Story about man who complained cause he had no shoes and then saw someone without feet. Now I only hope I am awake to make sure he does the correct one. Did Paul say t here was lot of blood? (Give him special hug for me. Tell him I will think of him when I have to get this procedure done).
Old 07-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #14
Head Chef

Hey, I don't have deformed hands :(
Old 07-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #15
Head Chef

ITK, I can sympathize with your ingrown toenail. All the years I worked I had to wear high heels/suits to work and had ingrown toenails on both feet. An ingrown toenail is unbelievably painful. You have been suffering long enough, and you'll be glad you got it over with when it's done. Now I actually have not worn anything but sandals for 2 and 1/2 years, so I never get ingrown toenails anymore. Maybe your solution is to move to the tropics!
Old 07-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #16
Master Chef

Ingrown toe nails stink!!! I use to have problems with them as a kid and had to go get one cut out. They knocked me out! And recouping in the recovery room was the most fun I had ever had! Anyhow, now my big toe toenail is funny shaped and I don't ever wear sandals because of that. I got big feet anyhow and long monkey toes!!! So that does not help either.

I'm here for you if you ever need me... and if you need a laugh, I'll send you a picture of my feet!
Old 07-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
I'll send you a picture of my feet!
Whoa there, Sattie. This is a G rated forum. They have other, special forums for that sort of thing.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
Ingrown toe nails stink!!! I use to have problems with them as a kid and had to go get one cut out. They knocked me out! And recouping in the recovery room was the most fun I had ever had! Anyhow, now my big toe toenail is funny shaped and I don't ever wear sandals because of that. I got big feet anyhow and long monkey toes!!! So that does not help either.

I'm here for you if you ever need me... and if you need a laugh, I'll send you a picture of my feet!
Big feet and monkey toes? Sattie you are too funny
What size shoe do you wear? I wear a size 10 yes my feet are also big but because of that I rarely fall down
Old 07-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Big feet and monkey toes? Sattie you are too funny
What size shoe do you wear? I wear a size 10 yes my feet are also big but because of that I rarely fall down
Size 11.... and half of it is my toes!!!! My parents always said I have a good foundation!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Whoa there, Sattie. This is a G rated forum. They have other, special forums for that sort of thing.
I would not be surprised at all!!!