"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-22-2008, 06:12 PM   #51
Sous Chef

the dr says is just in case. what if you need it? you might be better of with one at a time, or hiring help .

Old 07-22-2008, 06:37 PM   #52
Head Chef

ITK, are you sure he said "bed rest" for 6-8 weeks? Perhaps he just meant it would take that long before your foot is healed. Before you cancel, I would urge you to talk to him once more and ask him what that means. I'm sure you would need some time completely off your feet, but probably not that long, judging from what other people here have said about their own experiences. I understand that people depend on you, but you also need to take care of yourself...and there is no need to apologize to us. We all care about you.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:21 PM   #53
Executive Chef

Thank you for putting up with me. I just feel so upset about this. I need to get this done and hearing be off feet for this length of time? I will do like you said Mexico Karen and ask him. I just feel like such a pest as I do here that I have to hear what you all think. It just seems no one really wants to do any 'extra' to make life easier. I do seem like I am talking to a wall when I want to ask their advice. It doesn't give them pain so why should they worry?

I will call his office tomorrow. you think I needed someone to hold my hand?
Old 07-22-2008, 07:46 PM   #54
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
You're doing fine, ITK. You have come to your friends to ask advice, and that is why we are here. When you call, be polite but firm, and insist that you need to know exactly what is ahead for you so that you can make the necessary plans. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #55
Master Chef

There are 2 meanings to "Off your feet" in the medical community. One is bedrest the other is non weight bearing. After bunion surgery I would think there would be a short period of bedrest (max a week) then use of cruthches or walker to get around. You know that docs try to get you up and moving quicker than they used to. I agree with MK that you need this clarified and just let them know your concerns. BTW, with you son out of a job, maybe he could help you out with some of the other stuff between job hunts.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:05 PM   #56
Senior Cook

I hit my big toe nail on a rock one time and it turned black and ended up falling off. It grew back after a year. Someone I know had an ingrown toe nail too and got surgery on it. It hurt a lot but the problem was fixed after that.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:16 PM   #57
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
Thank you for putting up with me. I just feel so upset about this. I need to get this done and hearing be off feet for this length of time? I will do like you said Mexico Karen and ask him. I just feel like such a pest as I do here that I have to hear what you all think. It just seems no one really wants to do any 'extra' to make life easier. I do seem like I am talking to a wall when I want to ask their advice. It doesn't give them pain so why should they worry?

ITK, of course you're upset! They should have given you more specific information.

I think they mean you won't be able to wear a regular shoe for that long. Bunion removal entails a long-ish incision along the side of your big toe. That will be painful and swollen for a while and you probably shouldn't put the pressure of a shoe on it for the 4-6 weeks.

Lots of people have jobs that they can't go without a shoe or wear one of those funny wooden and canvas shoes that the doctor will probably give you. Or maybe they have jobs that require them to walk or stand for long periods of time. So maybe that's what they mean when they say you'll be out of commission for that long.

With the toenail and the bunion together, I think you'll be doing only necessary walking (like to the bathroom) for a week or so, but you'll not be back to full function for the 4-6 weeks. I'm not a doctor and your doc may want something different, but that was how it was for my friend's mother when she had the bunion surgery. So just call them tomorrow and ask exactly what you can and can't do for the 4-6 weeks. Then ask specifically if you can get up to cook, to let the dogs out, drive to the grocery store, etc. They should be able to tell you all of that so you can make a decision.

Good luck, Hon. I know bunions are very painful and I hate to think you won't be able to get this fixed. Let us know what happens.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:27 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
ITK, are you sure he said "bed rest" for 6-8 weeks? Perhaps he just meant it would take that long before your foot is healed. Before you cancel, I would urge you to talk to him once more and ask him what that means. I'm sure you would need some time completely off your feet, but probably not that long, judging from what other people here have said about their own experiences. I understand that people depend on you, but you also need to take care of yourself...and there is no need to apologize to us. We all care about you.
you are right karen. my daughter has had three foot surgeries this year on her foot. don't know the medical term, but has to do with growths on nerves. one was an incision in the bottom of her foot. each time was just told to use crutches. first three days just stayed off completely off it because of pain. then on to the crutches for about a month.

this sounds for itk a necessary thing. talking to dr. will help clarify things.

babe
Old 07-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #59
Master Chef

ITK... girlie, you need to get it done. Let us know what the doctor's office tells you. I don't think you will be off your feet for too long, but I'm no doctor either.

But we are here for ya sweetie!
Old 07-24-2008, 10:59 AM   #60
Executive Chef

Now What?

Yesterday, I went to my other doctor the one I go to regularly to find out about my Colitis or whatever they say it is. I have told him that times when I eat or drink something that it once it while it gives me intense pain as it tries to go down my throat. Now instead of pill he wants to have me go to hospital to have endoscopy? Put me out to do some kind of procedure to check why this happens. Here, I thought I was getting rid of toe problem and now have to have this done. I just wonder what the toe doctor will say? Supposed to go Tuesday and after telling all of you about it and your thoughts now the plan has changed. Do you believe this? I cannot have both of these procedures done. I trust my body but my mind will be the one that will be affected.

I bet you are all laughing about how dumb this is. Does this happen to any of you that you are wanting to get one thing fixed and got to do another thing? I think I am st arting to fall apart one piece at a time. I try to maintain my lifestyle the best I can. Now that my son lost his job he has ordered anxiety pills beside depression pills. I trust this doctor as he is only one who really seems to not push me out of the office. I only hope I don't make him think I need someone to talk to. There are people who tell the doctors more than what they need to.

What would you do? Get the toes done or the throat checked? Like going to garage to get tune up or something.