"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Toes

Of all things, I want to talk about is TOE nails. Please excuse me for asking but I have had ingrown toenail that they tried to stop from growing with chemicals. Now since I am one of the different ones, it didn't work. I went back to the doctor this week after 5 years of pain and he said he will help me with it surgically. The nurse just called and t old me he is removing the nail! Ouch! Never heard of this before. Have any of you? Sounds terrible to have no toenails! I will be in outpatient and pray the bill isn't out of sight as I have no insurance coverage. Reason I tolerated it for so long didn't want to go to the doctor. It does seem logical to remove it since the root continues to grow into the skin. I also have bunion but t he nurse said he would not want to do both procedures on same day. I just hope if I have to be knocked out that they do things on the correct one. (Girl I know had dentist pull the wrong tooth!) I wouldn't pay the guy if he did that.

Well, anyway since I just heard about this and have to think about looking forward to no toenail just the thought alone kind of scares me. Boy, when you get too old I guess things have to be done that you don't expect. Can't stay young all the time. Slowly fall apart and start losing things. How awful! I know I don't have any room to complain. Life could be whole lot more serious. thanks for your time and understanding. Sure is a surprise to me that toenails have to be removed.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Head Chef

I'm not sure they would knock you out for a toenail removal, they might just freeze the area or something. Usually if there isn't a chance it could be life threatening they keep you awake, or if its exeedingly painful.. something like that. I think lol

I once lost my thumbnail after slamming and getting my thumb stuck in a car door. It was pretty painful and it grew back all gross looking.. I sometimes wish it wasn't there at all! I cover it with nail polish and shape it like my other nails though.. so nobody knows but Nick and my parents lol. I'm also pretty sure I broke it as well because it now bends a bit back rather than straight when my hand is relaxed, and when I bend it backwards it goes back to make a 90 degree angle lol.. people think its gross, but hey, I'm me! :p

It might be a little wierd and your toe might feel a bit more squishy after not having something so hard on it. Which toe is it? If its a little toe it's not so bad, but if its the big toe it will take a while to get used to! (One less nail to clip, though!!!!) ;)

Old 07-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
Executive Chef

yeh once in awhile they do. Sometimes podiatrists can pare the nail down on the sides so it grows more toward the center. But that is not always an option. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
Master Chef

My son had his removed for an ingrown toenail. They did it right in the office. They gave him a nerve block to the toe and then removed the nail. It grew back fairly well and is no longer ingrown. It took almost a year for it to grow back though.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
Senior Cook

My cousin had that done. He said that while it's a bit weird-feeling, it's MUCh better than having the problems with ingrown nails.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Thank you

I really was upset but thanks to you people who responded, I feel that I am not the only one who is going to be without a toenail. It is the big toe, so as one of you has said may feel odd without something hard on it.
Saphellae: do I feel sorry for you having your thumb slammed in a car door. Just reading that gives me pain. So sorry. As you said, you are you and t hat is the way people have to accept you. According to all your comments, this is something that you are familiar with. You are probably the only one who is aware of it.

It surely has been painful to have this feeling of ingrown toenail, would wake me up even at night. I would put some kind of prescription cream on it and I do know that was better than taking some kind of pain killer. So if they don't knock me out it must not be that bad. I was surprised about removing the nail. I thank you all for concern and hope you take care of your toes and know that you are blessed when you won't have to experience this. Sure did seem so odd to me. No one in family has this except me. You wonder what you do to find this out. As I sit here t yping I am aware of the 'throbbing' that I have. Better start my dinner and forget about it for while. Thanks again for such quick response.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Paul had his two large toenails removed.. done in the office.. WIDE AWAKE.. HE WATCHED!! They give you a numbing shot in the toe and then take a tool that looks like a pair of pliers and remove. He said it didn't hurt! UNTIL he let them get infected. Silly boy!
Old 07-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #8
Sous Chef

My husband had that problem. His doctor removed part of the toenail but not the whole thing. It did hurt a lot. I wish I could say that was the end of it either, but it wasn't. The doctor apparently didn't get all the root out so it grew back and he had to cut it out again. It's been about a year and half since then and it hasn't grown back, but I think his toe still bothers him. I hope your experience is better than his!

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Oh yeah, and my brother had one removed (not the whole thing, just the side like DH's) and he had no trouble with it ever again.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I don't like feet, they gross me out.... like wierd deformed hands.
If I wear sandals or flip-flops out of the house, I gotta pretty 'em up with polish, toe rings and ankle bracelets.

I know, nobody asked. Sorry.