Toes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Of all things, I want to talk about is TOE nails. Please excuse me for asking but I have had ingrown toenail that they tried to stop from growing with chemicals. Now since I am one of the different ones, it didn't work. I went back to the doctor this week after 5 years of pain and he said he will help me with it surgically. The nurse just called and t old me he is removing the nail! Ouch! Never heard of this before. Have any of you? Sounds terrible to have no toenails! I will be in outpatient and pray the bill isn't out of sight as I have no insurance coverage. Reason I tolerated it for so long didn't want to go to the doctor. It does seem logical to remove it since the root continues to grow into the skin. I also have bunion but t he nurse said he would not want to do both procedures on same day. I just hope if I have to be knocked out that they do things on the correct one. (Girl I know had dentist pull the wrong tooth!) I wouldn't pay the guy if he did that.

Well, anyway since I just heard about this and have to think about looking forward to no toenail just the thought alone kind of scares me. Boy, when you get too old I guess things have to be done that you don't expect. Can't stay young all the time. Slowly fall apart and start losing things. How awful! I know I don't have any room to complain. Life could be whole lot more serious. thanks for your time and understanding. Sure is a surprise to me that toenails have to be removed.

I'm not sure they would knock you out for a toenail removal, they might just freeze the area or something. Usually if there isn't a chance it could be life threatening they keep you awake, or if its exeedingly painful.. something like that. I think lol

I once lost my thumbnail after slamming and getting my thumb stuck in a car door. It was pretty painful and it grew back all gross looking.. I sometimes wish it wasn't there at all! I cover it with nail polish and shape it like my other nails though.. so nobody knows but Nick and my parents lol. I'm also pretty sure I broke it as well because it now bends a bit back rather than straight when my hand is relaxed, and when I bend it backwards it goes back to make a 90 degree angle lol.. people think its gross, but hey, I'm me! :p

It might be a little wierd and your toe might feel a bit more squishy after not having something so hard on it. Which toe is it? If its a little toe it's not so bad, but if its the big toe it will take a while to get used to! (One less nail to clip, though!!!!) ;)

yeh once in awhile they do. Sometimes podiatrists can pare the nail down on the sides so it grows more toward the center. But that is not always an option. Good luck.

My son had his removed for an ingrown toenail. They did it right in the office. They gave him a nerve block to the toe and then removed the nail. It grew back fairly well and is no longer ingrown. It took almost a year for it to grow back though.

My cousin had that done. He said that while it's a bit weird-feeling, it's MUCh better than having the problems with ingrown nails.

Thank you

I really was upset but thanks to you people who responded, I feel that I am not the only one who is going to be without a toenail. It is the big toe, so as one of you has said may feel odd without something hard on it.
Saphellae: do I feel sorry for you having your thumb slammed in a car door. Just reading that gives me pain. So sorry. As you said, you are you and t hat is the way people have to accept you. According to all your comments, this is something that you are familiar with. You are probably the only one who is aware of it.

It surely has been painful to have this feeling of ingrown toenail, would wake me up even at night. I would put some kind of prescription cream on it and I do know that was better than taking some kind of pain killer. So if they don't knock me out it must not be that bad. I was surprised about removing the nail. I thank you all for concern and hope you take care of your toes and know that you are blessed when you won't have to experience this. Sure did seem so odd to me. No one in family has this except me. You wonder what you do to find this out. As I sit here t yping I am aware of the 'throbbing' that I have. Better start my dinner and forget about it for while. Thanks again for such quick response.

Paul had his two large toenails removed.. done in the office.. WIDE AWAKE.. HE WATCHED!! They give you a numbing shot in the toe and then take a tool that looks like a pair of pliers and remove. He said it didn't hurt! UNTIL he let them get infected. Silly boy!

My husband had that problem. His doctor removed part of the toenail but not the whole thing. It did hurt a lot. I wish I could say that was the end of it either, but it wasn't. The doctor apparently didn't get all the root out so it grew back and he had to cut it out again. It's been about a year and half since then and it hasn't grown back, but I think his toe still bothers him. I hope your experience is better than his!

Oh yeah, and my brother had one removed (not the whole thing, just the side like DH's) and he had no trouble with it ever again.

I don't like feet, they gross me out.... like wierd deformed hands.
If I wear sandals or flip-flops out of the house, I gotta pretty 'em up with polish, toe rings and ankle bracelets.

I know, nobody asked. Sorry.

I'm sorry to hear you have an ingrown toe nail, ITK and I'm sorry you have to have it removed. I had this done about 20 years ago. I was awake - they gave me a local all around the base of my toe. That hurt a fair amount. Then they just cut out the side of my toenail that was ingrown all the way down to the root. Yes, they used some big plier looking things but it was numb so I couldn't feel it.

But I will tell you that it hurt a lot when the numbness went away. Honestly, I'd rather have all my children all over again in one day rather than do that toenail thing again! Part of it was they gave me some codeine for pain and I have a bad reaction to it. It didn't really stop the pain - just made me cry for no reason whatsoever.

Anyway, an ingrown toenail is really painful, too, so there's no choice but to get it taken care of. My advice is to make sure there is someone there to take care of you for a day or so because it hurts the most when you put your foot down. So stay in bed with your toe elevated and let someone pamper you. (Actually, Pampers aren't such a bad idea since it's hard to scoot to the bathroom without putting weight on your foot.;)) Also, quit wearing shoes ever again the rest of your life so you will never get another ingrown toenail. That's what I did and so far so good!

I may be joking around a little but really, I'm sorry you have to go through this, my friend and I'll be praying it goes smoothly and painlessly for you.

I had one of mine removed because it kept getting ingrown. He did it in the office. I wasn't knocked out (he gave me shots around the toe kinda like they do when you're getting a tooth pulled), didn't feel a thing. It did hurt for the first day or so but it wasn't too bad. It took awhile but it grew back and never gets ingrown now. That was about 12 years ago. You'll be glad you did it!

I don't like feet, they gross me out.... like wierd deformed hands.
If I wear sandals or flip-flops out of the house, I gotta pretty 'em up with polish, toe rings and ankle bracelets.
I know, nobody asked. Sorry.

see? that is why I ask! feet are supposed to be used for walking but when someone looks at them they usually think that they aren't pretty. As far as wearing sandals, even when people polish their nails, it doesn't really change their appearance. But then if they don't have toenails, that is really not good.

pdswife-I know this doesn't bother PAUL one bit cause he knows you still love him. This is the way it should be. So thankful you let me know what he went through. Probably what I can look forward to. Being awake. But you did say he said there was pain? Oh well, what else is new? Surgery is not like eating piece of pie that makes you feel good!

B'sgirl, you don't know if he still has any pain? We all have to use our feet and if they pain sure doesn't make your life easy. I only wonder why some people get them and others don't. Must be something I did or didn't do? Story about man who complained cause he had no shoes and then saw someone without feet. Now I only hope I am awake to make sure he does the correct one. Did Paul say t here was lot of blood? (Give him special hug for me. Tell him I will think of him when I have to get this procedure done).

ITK, I can sympathize with your ingrown toenail. All the years I worked I had to wear high heels/suits to work and had ingrown toenails on both feet. An ingrown toenail is unbelievably painful. You have been suffering long enough, and you'll be glad you got it over with when it's done. Now I actually have not worn anything but sandals for 2 and 1/2 years, so I never get ingrown toenails anymore. Maybe your solution is to move to the tropics!

Ingrown toe nails stink!!! I use to have problems with them as a kid and had to go get one cut out. They knocked me out! And recouping in the recovery room was the most fun I had ever had! Anyhow, now my big toe toenail is funny shaped and I don't ever wear sandals because of that. I got big feet anyhow and long monkey toes!!! So that does not help either.

I'm here for you if you ever need me... and if you need a laugh, I'll send you a picture of my feet!

Ingrown toe nails stink!!! I use to have problems with them as a kid and had to go get one cut out. They knocked me out! And recouping in the recovery room was the most fun I had ever had! Anyhow, now my big toe toenail is funny shaped and I don't ever wear sandals because of that. I got big feet anyhow and long monkey toes!!! So that does not help either.

I'm here for you if you ever need me... and if you need a laugh, I'll send you a picture of my feet!
:LOL:Big feet and monkey toes? Sattie you are too funny:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
What size shoe do you wear? I wear a size 10 yes my feet are also big but because of that I rarely fall down:LOL:

:LOL:Big feet and monkey toes? Sattie you are too funny:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
What size shoe do you wear? I wear a size 10 yes my feet are also big but because of that I rarely fall down:LOL:

Size 11.... and half of it is my toes!!!! My parents always said I have a good foundation!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom