Tonight's Total Lunar Eclipse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I see the same two stars Katie. Venus! Oh and the big and little dipper are very vivid as well.

I read that Saturn would be another planet you could see near the moon tonight, it might be one of the bright ones near the moon.

CRAP!!! A bunch of clouds rolled in and the spectacle is over for me!!! Dang nab it!!! :angry:

...I'm in awe of the whole thing.
I have seen at least one other, and one total solar eclipse, but I am in awe every time. Cubbie and I were out there for most of this one, even though my feet were freezing off (I was wearing a coat and scarf, with sandals!). I found myself explaining God's wonders to Cubbie! (He wasn't impressed, lol). I also got to see two "shooting stars." It was very clear tonight and the stars were glorious tonight! I was amazed, when I moved here from California, at how dark the skies are and how bright the clouds are. If the moon isn't out, sometimes you can barely see your hand in front of your face.

I had no idea that there was going to be an eclipse tonight until I read it here. Thanks for letting us know Amy!

:)Barbara

I have seen at least one other, and one total solar eclipse, but I am in awe every time. Cubbie and I were out there for most of this one, even though my feet were freezing off (I was wearing a coat and scarf, with sandals!). I found myself explaining God's wonders to Cubbie! (He wasn't impressed, lol). I also got to see two "shooting stars." It was very clear tonight and the stars were glorious tonight! I was amazed, when I moved here from California, at how dark the skies are and how bright the clouds are. If the moon isn't out, sometimes you can barely see your hand in front of your face.

I had no idea that there was going to be an eclipse tonight until I read it here. Thanks for letting us know Amy!

Your very welcome, Barbara. :)

Oooh, look. Here's a time lapse (from 2007), if you missed it in states
Lunar eclipse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And some photos are already posted for 2008 in some states. (Click to enlarge.) Wish I had a digital camera.

February 21, 2008 lunar eclipse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Connecticut
Image:February 21, 2008 lunar eclipse, West Hartford, CT, 3-18 UTC.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LOL I just read what I had written. What I meant was PARTIAL solar eclipse! I have never seen a total solar eclipse, although I would LOVE to!

:wacko:Barbara

LOL I just read what I had written. What I meant was PARTIAL solar eclipse! I have never seen a total solar eclipse, although I would LOVE to!

:wacko:Barbara

I was almost going to ask if we need to wear sunglasses. :ermm::wacko:

I was almost going to ask if we need to wear sunglasses. :ermm::wacko:
LOL When I was looking up at the moon tonight, I was reminded of a joke I heard years ago about someone wearing dark glasses during a lunar eclipse so she wouldn't hurt her eyes. :ROFLMAO:

I've spent many evenings howling at the moon....and would have been out there again last night. Unfortunately, it was completely overcast here in northern New Jersey.
Looking at pictures is just a big tease. Now I have to wait till December 2010 to get another opportunity.:(

The kids & I watched until the moon was completely covered. By then it was after 10 & the kids were way beyond sleepy. It was amazing & beautiful though!! Also, did anyone else see the triangle the moon made with Saturn & the star Regulus (sp?)?

Last edited:
I must be wierd, but the neatest thing about the eclipse to me was how it really made me realize that the moon is a big sphere, not a flat disk hanging in the sky.

I mean, I KNOW the moon is a sphere, but that shadow curving across the face really brought out the shape.

Never mind, just goofy, I guess. :)

Back
Top Bottom