"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #31
Sous Chef

My sister had two angora cats and two keeshounds. She bought some kind of rubber balls with nubs on them at Walmart or somewhere. She put them in the washer when she did laundry. They seemed to help quite a bit. Of course when the clothes were worn again they got covered as soon as you sat down somewhere.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #32
Head Chef

I only wear bras once before washing them. I wear work clothes once before washing them. We are also casual. I have two cats so if I didn't wash after the first wear I'd be full of cat hair, lol. If it's dry cleaned then I may wear it twice before dry cleaning it.

Towels I am real funny about. I learned a few years ago that when you flush the toilet there's a fine mist of water that sprays out. So I just started using my towels once. Because even if you close the toilet there are still gaps.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Cats are the reason I take a shower, get dressed and leave the house. I never sit down after getting dressed.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a full polar fleece robe I put on over my clothes if I am going to a meeting. This keeps the Saint fur and slime off my clothes. I take the robe with me, and before I go back in the house, I put it on so I can take off my "goin' to meeting" clothes without getting slime on them. Clothes that get slimed have to be washed 2x and rinsed in vinegar to get the slime out. I also keep those in a "no dog" room and dress in there, don my robe, and then go back into the part of the house where the dogs can roam.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I have a full polar fleece robe I put on over my clothes if I am going to a meeting. This keeps the Saint fur and slime off my clothes. I take the robe with me, and before I go back in the house, I put it on so I can take off my "goin' to meeting" clothes without getting slime on them. Clothes that get slimed have to be washed 2x and rinsed in vinegar to get the slime out. I also keep those in a "no dog" room and dress in there, don my robe, and then go back into the part of the house where the dogs can roam.
I fostered a Saint Bernard for about a month. Very sweet dog, but that slime. Oh my!
Old 11-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #36
Everymom

sparrowgrass, depending on what you are wearing if you dampen your hands and run them on your clothes you will remove MOST of the hair before you toss stuff in the laundry. Otherwise, you just need to be vigilant about picking out the hair from every lint trap.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Cats are the reason I take a shower, get dressed and leave the house. I never sit down after getting dressed.

Your post made me chuckle!

When we were kids the whole family would sit around in our underwear waiting until the last possible minute to get dressed and leave the house before a big formal event like a wedding or a funeral.

Partly because of the pets, the smokers and the fact that we only had one bathroom plus a lot of people to get cleaned up.

We must have made a strange sight!
Old 11-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i've always been anal about this. it started in high school, and my mom eventually gave up and taught me to wash my own clothes. nowadays, dw does a lot of laundry.

t shirts, underwear, and socks are worn once, then into the wash.

jeans and sweatshirts twice, sweaters twice, unless they get dirty or sweaty from work or food on the first wear, then into the laundry.

dress shirts once, suits maybe twice, ties once a millenia.

skiing clothes every month during the season.

My ex was so anal that he would NOT use a bath towel twice. I finally said, "Don't you use soap and wash when you shower? Ever? YOU DO THE (expletive deleted) laundry!" Understand, doing laundry required a trudge to a laundry trailer in way, way sub-zero weather, high winds, and fighting with other women over who gets what washer/dryer when. Of course the women thought he was an adorable anomaly (a man doing laundry? We knew WAFs were sluts and slobs!) and he got time to do drugs without annoying me, so as far as it went, it worked!
Old 11-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

If you put on a latex glove and dampen that, it will pick up the hair as well. I've done that (but then, I've also gone to meet a client with a glob of slime on my face to which I was oblivious--and to which Newfoundland hair had adhered--note to self--always stop in the restroom first!)
Old 11-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I fostered a Saint Bernard for about a month. Very sweet dog, but that slime. Oh my!
I have a sign in the kitchen that reads "warning--slime zone!" I can't tell you how many times I've done the splits (at my age) because I've slipped on slime...and vinegar is something I'd like to buy in a 55-gal. drum. And yes, I do wash my ceilings 4-5 times/year. Slime flies!