Too much laundry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have a cat, a dog, and 2 bearded dragons.

Our cat, Maisy, spends most of the day on my windowsill, and my bed is right next to it. So as you can imagine, there's always a tonne load of white hair on my bed.
She then sleeps on my mums pillow on a night, yes she has to share her pillow with a cat! So more hair there!

And our dog sleeps on my mums bed. More hair!!!

The bearded dragons are the only things that don't leave a mess. Oh wait they've just pooed. I thought I could smell something :-/

The penny dropped--I have too many pairs of mated socks--who really needs 52 pairs of socks (and those are mated socks--not the odd ones whose mates have disappeared). Why do I have so many clothes? I work from home--I go out 1-2x week. Why do I have so many clothes (and why do I have 18 sets of scrubs--I love wearing them, but I'm not in the medical profession...).

The penny dropped--I have too many pairs of mated socks--who really needs 52 pairs of socks (and those are mated socks--not the odd ones whose mates have disappeared). Why do I have so many clothes? I work from home--I go out 1-2x week. Why do I have so many clothes (and why do I have 18 sets of scrubs--I love wearing them, but I'm not in the medical profession...).

I don't know why you have so many, but having so many is why you have too much laundry. If you can keep changing clothes without running out, the laundry tends to keep piling up.:LOL:

Instead of having a load to do every so often, you end up with a whole day to have to devote to laundry. If you don't mind that, then don't worry about it.

I do mind--I have to hang my laundry because I don't have a dryer (that's another story--started on fire). So in the winter, I redocorate the house with laundry...I just didn't realize I had so many clothes! I just thought I had too much laundry.

Even I don't have that many scrubs...:LOL:

I might have that many pairs of matched socks, counting my work socks and my winter socks. I have two underwear drawers, one for work and one for daily...the work are all white, for tax purposes.

Pajamas and nighties, that's what I have an overabundance of. Have my priorities right!:ROFLMAO:

Even I don't have that many scrubs...:LOL:

I might have that many pairs of matched socks, counting my work socks and my winter socks. I have two underwear drawers, one for work and one for daily...the work are all white, for tax purposes.

Pajamas and nighties, that's what I have an overabundance of. Have my priorities right!:ROFLMAO:

I have FOUR drawers of socks. Hmmm....I have more socks than you do PF!

Why do you think I wear scrubs? Great for gardening, painting, and, oh, yes, sleeping! But why do I have so many pairs?

Last edited:
Oh--PF, that explains why I have a PILE of scrubs on what is supposed to be the Lazy Boy waiting for me to haul upstairs (the scrubs--not the Lazy Boy--ouch!)...what should I wear instead? They are so comfy and I don't mind if I splash bleach on them...or if the chickens poo on them...that probably explains why I have 20-yr. old jeans that still look new...

Last edited:
I hear ya, CWS! I have only my own cloths to wash and I still dread doing it.

I've been procrastinating on it now for a week! I'm out of shirts! Tomorrow I HAVE to do laundry!

If you have a laundry basket that will hold about 1 load worth of laundry, when it is full, wash that load. One load of laundry every couple of days is much easier than having to spend a whole day doing laundry.

If you have a laundry basket that will hold about 1 load worth of laundry, when it is full, wash that load. One load of laundry every couple of days is much easier than having to spend a whole day doing laundry.
My problem is I change clothes constantly and I have lots of dog laundry too. My hamper is already full again. I am already on my 2nd outfit for today, and I still have to change into "chicken tending" clothes...all this before 8:00 a.m. Good thing I make my own laundry soap...otherwise, I'd need a bank loan just to do laundry!

I would never be able to stick to that, I wish I could.. I would try to keep cramming stuff in the basket until it was overflowing. I would have Mount SockNunderwear in the corner where the basket used to be :yum:

i CAN UNDERSTAND HAVING A lot of socks. I also do.

I got a small drawer of exercise socks and another small drawer of ankle socks. I have a third small drawer of knee socks - and some are for going out and others are for around the house.

You don't really know if you like socks until you buy them, wear and wash them, and by then it's too late to return them.

MostlyWater said:
i CAN UNDERSTAND HAVING A lot of socks. I also do.

I got a small drawer of exercise socks and another small drawer of ankle socks. I have a third small drawer of knee socks - and some are for going out and others are for around the house.

You don't really know if you like socks until you buy them, wear and wash them, and by then it's too late to return them.

:LOL: I'm a 2 drawer sock person myself. Like toilet paper, something you don't want to run out of!

And don't forget the sleeping socks for when it is really cold!

I have a large basket--and, when it starts to overflow, that is when it is time to do another load (or two or three) of laundry...a never-ending task. Now, if IRoomba would come up with a robotic washing assistant that would gather the laundry, sort it, and load the washer...and put the laundry away when it was done...that would make doing laundry a lot easier!

i don't have separate sleeping socks - being that I lounge in pjs anyway, in socks that match, if I'm cold enough, I just don't take them off before bed.

i never run out of socks, thankfully. the hamper fills up with other clothes before i run out of socks - although lately, i have gotten some holes in them and only the uncomfy, cheap ones are left. I may need to do a Sock Shopping ....

many years ago as a single guy in my first apt., i bought a couple of packages each of socks, underwear, and t shirts to stock up.

then, since i had no plans for my vacation, i treated myself to a week of doing nothing but lay around the apartment, watch tv, play video games, and order all of my meals delivered (except for the meals i was able to talk a gf into bringing over, lol), and wear a new set of socks and underwear each day without the slightest thought of doing any work like laundry. it was the height of sloth, but it was great.

SO doesn't think I am able to do laundry. I offer, but she says no thanks. I remind her I lived alone for a number of years and my clothes looked good enough that no one at work felt they had to take me aside and have a little talk and for her to date me.

She does multiple small loads while I try to get her to save energy and the environment by doing fewer large loads. Running out of clothes is not an issue.

SO doesn't think I am able to do laundry. I offer, but she says no thanks. I remind her I lived alone for a number of years and my clothes looked good enough that no one at work felt they had to take me aside and have a little talk and for her to date me.

She does multiple small loads while I try to get her to save energy and the environment by doing fewer large loads. Running out of clothes is not an issue.

I know my DH is capable of doing his own laundry. I just don't trust men to do my laundry. :ohmy:

It makes it easier if I do all the laundry. I sort clothes, mostly by dark, medium, light, bleachable. I get full or fullish loads much quicker when there is laundry for two people. That way I can wear my favourite clothes more often. :)

I love having a front loader that figures out how big the load is and adds the appropriate amount of water. I also love the fact that it knows to add some hot water to my cold water wash in winter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom