Too much laundry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DH has been banned ever since he washed the whites, a beige rug, and my new burgundy bathrobe in the same load. Luckily he likes pink as a color.

This is something I ran across several years ago. Now is a good time to revisit it, I think:

"Lest We Forget"
A Kentucky mountaineer woman years ago wrote out a "receet" for washing clothes that she gave to her daughter, a new bride. The famous receet has been handed down and shared for a long time. We can't help wondering what the mother's reaction would be if she could see a modern laundry today.
1. Bild fire in backyard to het kittle of rainwater
2. Set tubs so smoke wont blow in eyes if wind is peart
3. Shave 1 hole cake lie sope in bilin water
4. Sort things. Make Three piles. 1 pile white, 1 pile cullord, 1 pile rags and britches
5. Stur flour in cold water to smooth, then thin down with bilin water
6. Rub dirty spots on board. Scrub hard. Then bile. Just rench and starch
7. Take white things out of kittle with broom handle, then rench, blew and starch
8. Spread tea towles on grass
9. Hang old rags on fense
10. Scrub porch with sopy water
11. Pour rench water in flower bed
12. Turn tubs upside down
13. Go put on clean dress. Smooth hair with side combs, brew cup of tea, set and rest and rock a spell and count blessings.

Happy Thanksgiving, all.

there's an old joke that goes something about how women think men should help out with housework more often.

hey, a man invented the washing machine. isn't that enough???

(ducking...)

The Matching Sox problem resolved itself when I got divorced. I got my own dresser(s). A drawer for white sox, blacksox and a sep drawer for undies. All the years we were married, no matter how many dressers we had, it seems I only had one drawer for myself. I caught her in MY Drawer one time. I asked what are you doing? She said, my feet are cold, I was going to borrow a pair of your wool sox. Sheesh. I suppose I could have rubbed her tootsies. Now, I buy one kind of sock in as many pairs as I can afford. And they always are mated.

Do you separate your clothes into "like kinds" or by colors? The only color I keep separate is Red Things. They are only done about once in a blue moon when there is enough for a load. I don't have too much red. Used to have a lot of Pink though !!:ohmy: Otherwise, I see no problem putting in towels/ jeans/ cotton pants/ sox/ undies in a load. Ok, two loads. Shirts get their own load, mostly because they don't get the same drier setting. Sheets, pillow cases usually get a few t shirts added, to top off a load.

And what about Odd things. Pretty soon I'm going to need to do up some TableCloths before the next round of holidays. I have to do Lace tablecloths by hand. It isn't hard to do, just not exciting. I s'pose there is music to do laundry by.

there's an old joke that goes something about how women think men should help out with housework more often.

(ducking...)

Not when men think that silk blouses and expensive lingerie should go in hot water.

(ducking...)

In the old days they didn't invent washing machines they married them.:ohmy:

Yeh Tin Lizzie, that's a good one. Read it before and it makes you stop and think, It's Probably True !! I'll count my blessings.

I know my DH is capable of doing his own laundry. I just don't trust men to do my laundry. :ohmy:...

That's it exactly! At my urging, we got together and created a list of instructions including which clothes went in which batches and how to wash and dry. Detergent, fabric softener, water temp and washer cycle.

I printed it out and posted it in the laundry room. She still won't leave it to me to do. She "lets" me move stuff from the washer to the dryer or hang stuff up to dry on occasion if she's in a hurry.

I figure if I can follow a recipe, I can follow laundry instructions.

Oh well, more time on DC for me!

I do a separate lycra load - darks and lights.

In it goes everything stretchy - support hose, bras, exercise clothes, and sweatbands from the gym. Hung to dry.

When my DH thanked me for washing his barn sweater, I replied that it was no big deal, I didn't have to go down to the stream and beat it against the rocks...his response was that since I hate doing dishes by hand, he would hardly expect me to go down to the stream and wash his barn sweater...and, I'm guessing that when James King patented the washing machine drum in 1851, it was because his wife refused to go down to the stream in the winter to wash his underwear.

Laundry is sorted according to color. Darks, Light Colors, white, towels & sheets. White always gets fabric softener because of the bleach, towels and sheets do not or Shrek will blow a gasket. Then the fun starts, once washed I resort into dryer temperature, My uniforms and lycra, bras all go into a medium temp, so i can pull them out with out getting wrinkles. I have been known to rewet wrinkles clothes and put them back in the dryer. I don't iron. Shrek only wears t-shirts, so I always have lots of those and my own that I wear, they go in another dryer. All socks and underpants are cotton, pjs and lounge pants go in the next dryer. The towels and sheets go in the last.

Shrek wants all his t-shirts on hangers...I comply.

IRON? I only iron (a) when I have to leave the house and wear s/thing to meet clients, (b) when I'm at my mom's--she has some linen clothes that are her "uniforms" for when my dad drags her to events., or (c) when I sew.

I bought two of those "auto-turn-off" irons--one for myself, the other for at my mom's. I gave her other iron to the Goodwill. I was worried that if she got it in her head to iron, she wouldn't turn it off/unplug it. And, figured since it is a good drive for me to go to the City, knowing that if I had one of those "crap--did I turn off the iron" moments on the road, knowing it turned itself off after 10 minutes was probably a good thing.

And I don't use a dryer...in 1996, when my first Newfoundland died, I decided a bubble bath was what I needed around 5:00 in the afternoon. I kept thinking--it sounds like moths hitting the bug zapper...it was the dryer cable sparking! The dryer was in the bathroom and the cable ran under the tub! I finally twigged to it, and I was so scared when I jumped out of the tub that I would be zapped.

And, my mother always "over-dried" everything--70 minutes on hot or more (still does).

I bought a dryer a couple of years ago because of all the rain in the summer--I couldn't get my laundry to dry on the line. I've used it about 5 times (for pillows and the down duvet). Otherwise, I hang my laundry on the line or close enough to the woodstove to dry, but not close enough to catch on fire...

Last edited:
Who knew such a simple question would lead to such a long thread!!

A couple laundry thoughts--one is that I always toss the plastic cup that comes in the detergent box. It is twice as big as it needs to be! I have a metal half-cup measuring cup from the kitchen that lives in the detergent box, and I usually don't even fill that up. I wash in cold water most of the time, and my clothes are plenty clean.

Two--I don't iron either. I have an old wooden ironing board that sits in front of the window as a cat seat, and I think I have an iron somewhere, so I could if I wanted too, but. . . .

Instead, I wet a towel or t-shirt and toss it in the washer with dry, wrinkly clothes. 10 minutes and they almost always are wrinkle free and ready to hang.

I've been making homemade laundry soap since January 2011--I have spent less than 40.00 on the ingredients (thanks Blissful!). I'd have to dig out my receipts. Given how much laundry I do, that is amazing. I use 1/8 c each load. And, the clothes are CLEAN. Given my allergies, I find homemade soap much better. Now if I could just find a good dishwasher homemade soap recipe...

Without fail I buy a rake load of new socks and within a week or two somehow I just have odd ones, none of the pairs match up!

Without fail I buy a rake load of new socks and within a week or two somehow I just have odd ones, none of the pairs match up!

That's why my work socks are all the same color or brand, no matter what they all match and if one gets a hole, I can toss it and still have matching socks for work. I don't care if my socks match if I'm not at work, makes for some interesting conversations.

Back
Top Bottom