Too much laundry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I miss people-watching in the laundromats, but I don't miss the loading and unloading of the car.

BT, I would buy a washer with a TV, cooler, and recliner! But only if the matching dryer came with a back massage option and there was a way to auto-lift the laundry back upstairs! :)

Last edited:
you know, that's true about people (and their underwear) watching. that was fun.
and i got a phone number or two in my day from girls with nice undies... :cool:

there used to be a place up in suffern, ny that was a laundromat with a bar attached. it was called "suds -n- suds". great idea, but it was in the middle of nowhere so it went out of business.

I miss people-watching in the laundromats, but I don't miss the loading and unloading of the car.

BT, I would buy a washer with a TV, cooler, and recliner! But only if the matching dryer came with a back massage option and there was a way to auto-lift the laundry back upstairs! :)

I found laundry baskets with wheels:rolleyes: I can just drag them along. I carry the hanging clothes in and the baskets magically appear. Shrek is good about bringing them in the house. I really do hate doing laundry, but love getting it over with as fast as possible. I can do that at the laundromat.

I think I have more t-shirts than I have pairs of socks...I keep sorting through them but can't get rid of any, they all have pictures or words.

you know, that's true about people (and their underwear) watching. that was fun.
and i got a phone number or two in my day from girls with nice undies... :cool:

there used to be a place up in suffern, ny that was a laundromat with a bar attached. it was called "suds -n- suds". great idea, but it was in the middle of nowhere so it went out of business.

We had one in CNY called Suds-n-Duds and one that was next to a fitness center. That one was popular with the college crowd.

Paper Towels Wash So Much Easier

I keep paper towels in the bathroom. Less germs, more sanitary, saves on hand towels. Don 't wear a bra in the house. And in the winter, unless I am going to be taking my coat off, I don't wear one out of the house either. I figure if I have clean undies on like my mother told me, braless is one item of clothing they have to remove in the event of an accident. I have EMORMOUS bath towels. I am only wiping off clean water. What is dirty about them? They get several uses. One towel can be a load in itself. (Small washer.) Because of skin condition, all my clothing is 100% cotton. Undies get changed a few times a day. Unless I am expecting company, or have to go down to the lobby for my mail, I run around the house in a long cotton jersey nightgown. Change that daily. Tops, pants, etc., get more than one wear unless I have had them on all day and been active.

I have always like doing laundry. Including ironing. But why make more mork for myself than I have to? There are too many other activties I would rather be doing. :chef:

Last edited:
I think my biggest issue with laundry is that I have too many clothes - many that I really don't wear. It's hard for me to cull the drawers. "Oh, that shirt would be good for when I paint." "Oh, that outfit is perfect for..." "Awww....I LOVE that poncho!." And the oh, so common, "Oh, I'll keep those in case I gain/lose a few pounds." As a result, everything does not fit in the drawers and I have very little closet space. SO, I keep items on a hanging bar in the basement." I think I would enjoy laundry better if everything had a place to go when it is done. It's been better lately since I sort through items when I'm in a "need to clean" mindset. :)

Note to family: I need no new clothing for Christmas. Hmm...I do not need anymore knick-knacks either. Cookbooks....well....*shuts the door to the catch all room* One can never have too many of those....

I like the sorting, washing, drying part, but I loathe with a passion the sorting of the socks. I will even pay my kids to do it.

that's why i buy the same exact socks. then it's just a matter of sorting them in order of how stretched out they are.

buckytom said:
that's why i buy the same exact socks. then it's just a matter of sorting them in order of how stretched out they are.

:LOL: I do the same for my black work socks!

DH is on his own for pairing his tennis socks. He has been known to put together some interesting combinations. I also find an occasional hybrid of his black sock paired with one of mine. That way we don't have orphans, but each pair needs careful inspection, as he has bigger feet.

Last edited:
I stopped buying paper towels, although that's an idea for a different thread. I have plenty of hand towels and as we say, our hands are perfectly clean after washing them !

As far as laundry, I fine with loading the washer. I keep separate hampers for each color and type of laundry. I occasionally call on my helpers to transfer it to the dryer or to sort and put it away, however.

Oh my! Let me tell you about "laundry". There is a mountain of it here army DD's! She pointed out a basket of clean laundry to me and said "that is mostly socks". Why in the world does anyone need a basketful of socks?! Her answer, "I don't know, I guess when we can't find any we just buy somemore". Oh my! Where did this child come from? :) Since she is now in hospital giving birth, I guess it will be my job to deal with the "mountain". Ugh!

Oh my! Let me tell you about "laundry". There is a mountain of it here army DD's! She pointed out a basket of clean laundry to me and said "that is mostly socks". Why in the world does anyone need a basketful of socks?! Her answer, "I don't know, I guess when we can't find any we just buy somemore". Oh my! Where did this child come from? :) Since she is now in hospital giving birth, I guess it will be my job to deal with the "mountain". Ugh!

Mom has clean diapers in her laundry/ironing stack...the "baby" is 41. When they moved, I think they just forklifted it out of the basement and moved it into the new house 300 miles away.

I like the sorting, washing, drying part, but I loathe with a passion the sorting of the socks. I will even pay my kids to do it.

I used to throw all the socks, his and hers, in one drawer. You want a pair, then pick it out yourself. The boys didn't care if their tops matched. They were always covered by their pant legs. aWith six people in the house wearing socks, I wasn't about to spend most of my day sorting. All socks had white bottoms.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom