"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 11-02-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
Head Chef
Too much laundry

I live alone, but it seems like I am always swamped in laundry, so I have a question for you all.

I recently read an article, somewhere, talking about how often women washed their bras--apparently some wear them for days or weeks. I guess I am a little OCD--I rarely wear anything more than once.

How bout you guys? Clean from the skin out every day, or do you hang things and rewear? Can I relax a little?

Just to clarify, my office is very casual--jeans/khakis and polos are the uniform. (The only people I see in suits or stockings are lawyers or defendants--I work for Extension in the courthouse.)

I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
The skin out?
I wear the same pair of pants for several days if they don't get visibly dirty, such as from me kneeling somewhere or dripping chicken wing sauce on them They touch my skin. In the cold months I'll wear an outer sweatshirt over a T shirt, that will usually last me a few days, also.
As far as clothing that touches either private parts, feet or arm pits, that gets changed every day.
Can't help you with the bras. I don't wear one

Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
I also have mountains of laundry. I change clothes several times a day...for example, when I get up at 2:00 a.m. to start work, in the summer, I will wear sweats and a sweatshirt if the house is cool...then when it gets hot, I'll put on a t-shirt, later a sundress or shorts. And, everything goes in the laundry, doesn't matter that I only wore it for a few hours. I know, I probably could learn to curb that habit. I have been like this since a child--I was one of those children who changed clothes several times a day. I still do. I did three loads of laundry Monday night, I have three more to go to get caught up...I rarely seem to get caught up. The only thing is, I don't wear a bra unless I'm leaving the house...
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #4
Head Chef
What about towels? Know anyone who only uses a towel once?

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
Guilty as charged (bathtowels, not face or kitchen towels).
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
Sous Chef
This is an interesting discussion!

Unless you have really sensitive skin, or sweat excessively, or wear the bra like 10 hours in a row, you don't have to change it evrey single day. I went to be fitted at a fancy bra shoppe and that's what they said. You're best off letting it rest a day in between wearings, too - which I don't do.

I have a big washing machine and buying and storing enough stuff to run a full load of bras or work clothes or whatever means I have a LOT of stuff, which equals a lot of laundry. But I don't see any way around it.

Don't get me started on The Towel Thing.
MostlyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
I toss undies into the laundry daily, sometimes twice daily if there has been a workout. Depending on the workplace and the bra worn is whether it gets washed daily or not. I wear sports bras to one workplace and they get tossed daily. Teaching is not quite as physical and I can rewear many of those bras.

As for clothes, I don't toss dress pants in the laundry until they've been worn several times. Jeans, sweats and yoga pants come in for harder wear and might go in after one wearing, but not necessarily. Whatever shirt I've worn will likely go in the laundry that evening.

PJs are worn a couple of times. Towels are a couple of uses.

I try to be conscious of the water I'm using. I don't like to wash things unless I'm sure they're dirty.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
Sous Chef
If I don't get sweaty I can wear a bra maybe 3 times before washing. PJs maybe 2-3 wearings. Everything else including towels gets washed after one use. DH would propably use the same bath towel forever if I didn't put up a new clean one once a week.
JGDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
Executive Chef
As usual, I will step into my thermal long john complete with trapdoor on Bonfire night.I have them removed surgically on Easter Monday.
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
Bras for work-two days, bras that might get worn on my days off-3 days. Jeans can last a week. At home I tend to wander in nightgowns or pj's, holdover from working nights. I only get dressed when I may need to answer the door or I'm going out of the apartment.

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote