Top 10 Amazing Kitchens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We just replaced a 14 year old hardwood floor in the kitchen with ceramic.
The hardwood is lovely for a few years, but if you really cook and spend a lot of time in the kitchen, it starts to show wear and looks terrible. Hardwood everywhere else in the house is great for me, but not my cooking area.

I must admit that the replacing of the floor ended up with granite countertops and new upscale appliances, as well. One thing just led to another.

I put engineered HW floors down in my kitchen and couldn't be happier. Not only do they get wear from foot traffic, I chase my dog with a RC car there too. They still shine like new after 3 1/2 years. I floated the flooring for more cushion which is great on the back and feet. If your HW floor wears out like you think, then it was finished poorly or installed incorrectly.

Jeeks, what's an engineered hardwood floor?

I saw them, too, but I liked #3 much better than #1. I'm tired of everyone doing "Tuscan."

I also think it's truly sad that such a high percentage of those over-the-top kitchens are never cooked in. One of the managers at The Great Indoors said their estimate is around 75 percent that are rarely, if ever used. All that money for show!

Wonder how the downturn in the economy might change that? :ermm:

thanks, that was my reaction as well. nothing going on in any of them.babe

Jeeks, what's an engineered hardwood floor?

A plywood substraight with a veneer of your choice for the surface. A misconception is that it cannot be refinished, or only refinished once. This is not true since the finished veneer is the depth to the tongue/groove joint. You can only refinish a solid floor to that point as well, otherwise you'll have huge gaps from the joint and you'll cut into the fasteners. The multi-directional substraight provides a stable floor with minimal movement. Most brands can be glued, nailed, stapled or floated. They are usually cheaper than solid HW. Most brands come with a factory finish that you cannot re-create out in the field. Super durable and easy to install. Very DIY friendly. The DW and I installed our floor (270ish sq ft) in a weekend. That's including removing 6-7 different floors from 1910 to 2005, installing a layer of luan and the padding material used underneath floating floors.

It's just like installing a wood floor. If you buy 2 1/4" width planks, that's what you put down. The cartons usually have varying lengths from about 2-3'. It's alot of work but the DW and I were working like a well oiled machine. If you install it yourself, be very careful of patterns. Even though you may think your doing the right thing by using different lengths in different places, you could still wind up with the "brick" effect. It kind of works like a weird mathmatecal formula. Theres a section on my floor that came out that way. The we regrouped. The room adjacent to the kitchen (through the wood doors) is the bar. That room has laminate wood flooring that was there when we moved in. You can really tell the difference between the two. Like freshly grated parmesan to the Kraft junk. lol

Don't forget the engineered floors have a durable factory finish that can be used immediately, and there's no sanding or chemical use during installation. 100% HW needs to be aclimated, installed, sanded, then finished.

We put a commercial grade wood effect vinyl into the kitchen when we replaced flooring after the fire. It is working well. Mind you we do have a mobile vacuum cleaner/mop that ensures that spills do not stay around long.

I understand. Some flooring comes in larger panels that represent several 2 1/4" boards.

Most laminate floors are constructed that way. I'm sure there's an engineered wood floor like that, but I haven't seen it or dealt with it before.

Don't forget the engineered floors have a durable factory finish that can be used immediately, and there's no sanding or chemical use during installation. 100% HW needs to be aclimated, installed, sanded, then finished.

Thanks for your explanation of engineered HW, Jeeks. I stopped into a carpet/flooring shop & looked at the samples. Hard to imagine though what it would look like in a room. I asked if it would work on slanted floors, as my entryway dips down toward the front door. (Probably a result of the big Northridge earthquake.) He kept saying "I don't know what you mean" re a slanted floor. The phone kept ringing, he was alone - so I left. Does that make sense? Can you put the engineered HW on a slanted (dipped) floor? Is it better than Pergo? TIA

Thanks for your explanation of engineered HW, Jeeks. I stopped into a carpet/flooring shop & looked at the samples. Hard to imagine though what it would look like in a room. I asked if it would work on slanted floors, as my entryway dips down toward the front door. (Probably a result of the big Northridge earthquake.) He kept saying "I don't know what you mean" re a slanted floor. The phone kept ringing, he was alone - so I left. Does that make sense? Can you put the engineered HW on a slanted (dipped) floor? Is it better than Pergo? TIA

For the best results, you would obviously want to have the subfloor as flat as possible. You would need to measure how much the floor is sagging and if there is some structural damage causing it. You would want to fix that before investing in a new floor. It's hard to tell w/o really looking at it. Try calling one of those "free estimates" places and have them come out and look at it. You know, play dumb a little.

For the best results, you would obviously want to have the subfloor as flat as possible. You would need to measure how much the floor is sagging and if there is some structural damage causing it. You would want to fix that before investing in a new floor. It's hard to tell w/o really looking at it. Try calling one of those "free estimates" places and have them come out and look at it. You know, play dumb a little.

Good idea. I kept their card. Actually, the whole floor may be dipped. When I looked at the place, it had new carpeting & was unoccupied. The day the movers moved my furniture in, it appeared as if everything was leaning away from the walls toward the center of the room. Don't know what I'll find under the carpet - maybe Jimmy Hoffa :ermm: Can't wait to get rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom