"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-05-2008, 03:04 PM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

Sounds good. How large are the pieces?

Old 05-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #32
Executive Chef

It's just like installing a wood floor. If you buy 2 1/4" width planks, that's what you put down. The cartons usually have varying lengths from about 2-3'. It's alot of work but the DW and I were working like a well oiled machine. If you install it yourself, be very careful of patterns. Even though you may think your doing the right thing by using different lengths in different places, you could still wind up with the "brick" effect. It kind of works like a weird mathmatecal formula. Theres a section on my floor that came out that way. The we regrouped. The room adjacent to the kitchen (through the wood doors) is the bar. That room has laminate wood flooring that was there when we moved in. You can really tell the difference between the two. Like freshly grated parmesan to the Kraft junk. lol

Old 05-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Don't forget the engineered floors have a durable factory finish that can be used immediately, and there's no sanding or chemical use during installation. 100% HW needs to be aclimated, installed, sanded, then finished.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

I understand. Some flooring comes in larger panels that represent several 2 1/4" boards.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:20 PM   #35
Executive Chef

We put a commercial grade wood effect vinyl into the kitchen when we replaced flooring after the fire. It is working well. Mind you we do have a mobile vacuum cleaner/mop that ensures that spills do not stay around long.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I understand. Some flooring comes in larger panels that represent several 2 1/4" boards.
Most laminate floors are constructed that way. I'm sure there's an engineered wood floor like that, but I haven't seen it or dealt with it before.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:55 PM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Don't forget the engineered floors have a durable factory finish that can be used immediately, and there's no sanding or chemical use during installation. 100% HW needs to be aclimated, installed, sanded, then finished.
Thanks for your explanation of engineered HW, Jeeks. I stopped into a carpet/flooring shop & looked at the samples. Hard to imagine though what it would look like in a room. I asked if it would work on slanted floors, as my entryway dips down toward the front door. (Probably a result of the big Northridge earthquake.) He kept saying "I don't know what you mean" re a slanted floor. The phone kept ringing, he was alone - so I left. Does that make sense? Can you put the engineered HW on a slanted (dipped) floor? Is it better than Pergo? TIA
Old 05-05-2008, 04:17 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
Thanks for your explanation of engineered HW, Jeeks. I stopped into a carpet/flooring shop & looked at the samples. Hard to imagine though what it would look like in a room. I asked if it would work on slanted floors, as my entryway dips down toward the front door. (Probably a result of the big Northridge earthquake.) He kept saying "I don't know what you mean" re a slanted floor. The phone kept ringing, he was alone - so I left. Does that make sense? Can you put the engineered HW on a slanted (dipped) floor? Is it better than Pergo? TIA
For the best results, you would obviously want to have the subfloor as flat as possible. You would need to measure how much the floor is sagging and if there is some structural damage causing it. You would want to fix that before investing in a new floor. It's hard to tell w/o really looking at it. Try calling one of those "free estimates" places and have them come out and look at it. You know, play dumb a little.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
For the best results, you would obviously want to have the subfloor as flat as possible. You would need to measure how much the floor is sagging and if there is some structural damage causing it. You would want to fix that before investing in a new floor. It's hard to tell w/o really looking at it. Try calling one of those "free estimates" places and have them come out and look at it. You know, play dumb a little.
Good idea. I kept their card. Actually, the whole floor may be dipped. When I looked at the place, it had new carpeting & was unoccupied. The day the movers moved my furniture in, it appeared as if everything was leaning away from the walls toward the center of the room. Don't know what I'll find under the carpet - maybe Jimmy Hoffa Can't wait to get rid of it.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #40
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
...Don't know what I'll find under the carpet - maybe Jimmy Hoffa Can't wait to get rid of it.
Rotflmao!