Top Chef All Stars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Watched it last night. I agree with the judges decision about the winning team. Overall, the talent for season 1 was much better than season 2, and they won without even what I considered their second best chef (Lee Ann). I was however, surprised by the lack of creativity in their dishes. I would've thought that after going through the competition, and from seeing what has been popping up lately that they would've put out more cutting edge dishes. Actually, Steven and Tiffani had the two most impressive dishes. Harold again played it safe, and Dave again showed that he does not understand flavor combinations. Ilan showed why he should not have won season 2 (c'mon, he was at best, the fourth most talented chef behind Marcel, Cliff, and Sam) and Marcel, despite the foam and gelee did not really put out a cutting edge dish in terms of flavor.

Looking over the bios for season 3, I'm thanking Bravo for not including any Ina Gartens (i.e. Mia, season 2; Andrea, season 1) or pastry chefs (i.e. Marissa - why in the h.ell would you put a pastry chef in this competition???). I think every single one of the contestants are either Sous or Exec. Chefs at upscale to fine dining restaurants. I guess Bravo finally woke up and realized that with the exception of Dave, the top 4-6 contestants in both seasons 1 and 2 all worked at those types of establishments.

well the difference is that Bravo did some real intense scouting and research, versus just picking people referred to them from other chefs. Marcel still just rubs me the wrong way, and so does Stephen, as far as being too pretentious. I have found the best chefs tend to be the most humble.

It will be interesting to see what this new season brings.

TATTRAT said:
well the difference is that Bravo did some real intense scouting and research, versus just picking people referred to them from other chefs.

Are you certain that that's how the contestants for the first two seasons were selected? I was under the impression that Bravo selected people from different aspects of the industry (fine dining, casual dining, catering, private chefs, etc.) in order to see which side could prevail, and also so the show would appeal to a wider variety of viewers.

I have to agree that there is no warming on my part of either Stephen or Marcel. Marcel did show his punk self with all his "street" talk and at least Stephen didn't do the bug-out eye thing as much. I do have to say that I hope both past seasons get to judge the 3rd season though; just to give back what the new ones gave out in turn.

turtledove said:
I have to agree that there is no warming on my part of either Stephen or Marcel. Marcel did show his punk self with all his "street" talk and at least Stephen didn't do the bug-out eye thing as much. I do have to say that I hope both past seasons get to judge the 3rd season though; just to give back what the new ones gave out in turn.

The two things that only really irritate me about Marcel is that he ALWAYS says the word "like", and when he tries to rap. He's worse than Vanilla Ice ever was.

i/c, you probably know about this stuff. What's the deal with Padma? Does she actually know anything about cooking, or is she just some eye candy for the show?

And the other girl judge - what's her name - I don't trust her judgement.

Tommy and the other real chefs who occasionally judge the contestants I can listen to.

Oh...so that is what he was trying to do. :ROFLMAO: Sorry I couldn't resist! I agree about him (or anyone) that uses "like" so much. Dave did seem to try to control his twitching though. I was wondering the same thing about Padma, Mudbug. Gail is the editor in chief or something of Food and Wine, I think.

yeah, you're right, turtledove - I knew it was one of the foodie mags. I'd rather see Ruth Reichl from Gourmet as a judge. I think she's at least cooked something.

Gail Simmons is the "Special Projects Manager" (whatever the h.ell that means) for Food & Wine. Dana Corwin is the Editor-in-Chief.

Regarding Padma, it's hard to say without knowing her background. With that being said, ANYONE can be a critic because all it takes is an opinion. It doesn't take any skill or real knowledge to do.

Thanks IC, I knew it was something for Food and Wine. Very true about the critic part too. I guess all of us here are guilty of that too at one time or another.

ironchef said:
Are you certain that that's how the contestants for the first two seasons were selected? I was under the impression that Bravo selected people from different aspects of the industry (fine dining, casual dining, catering, private chefs, etc.) in order to see which side could prevail, and also so the show would appeal to a wider variety of viewers.

At the begining of the episode they were talking about it. I'll see if I can find a link on it.

As for Marcel rapping, that IS the dumbest S%$T ever,lol. I could not agree with you more!

Padma has written cookbooks and done some food network shows. She's married to Salman Rushdie. She also has some acting credits. I think if she has written cookbooks she must be familiar with cooking!

jabbur said:
Padma has written cookbooks and done some food network shows. She's married to Salman Rushdie. She also has some acting credits. I think if she has written cookbooks she must be familiar with cooking!

I had to look that up because I thought you were joking, but it's true. Ah, it's only a 23 year age difference. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom