"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-07-2007, 11:45 AM   #91
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
I think Sara will be in the top two - I wouldn't be surprised if it was with the tall guy. I think Sara out-performed Hung by a landslide last night.
I sure hope CJ is NOT in the Top 2. I think he sold Tre down the river.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:45 PM   #92
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
If there's 1 person remaining right now that I really think doesn't deserve to be there, it's CJ. IMO, he's done the least amount of impressive dishes out of anyone left. I think Casey and Sara def. have a better shot than he does.

Right now you've got the following people remaining: Hung, Casey, Sara, CJ, Brian, and Dale.

Hung- I think everyone's standout favorite by a longshot. He's got 2 quickfire wins, and has come close to an elimination win here and there. Always a stand-up guy, and a team player, and not aggressive or a jerk in any way.

Dale- 2 quickfire wins, and has also come very close to a an elimination win. I think most of hi shortcomings have come from his willingness to accommodate his team members. I think he has a lot of great ideas that for some reason or another don't always come to fruition.

CJ- 1 Quifire and 1 Elimination win. Does the guy have talent? Yes. Can he put out good food? Of course. But he's a Private Chef, and I really think it shows. He's VERY slow, and I think with the more intense free-for-all that's coming up, he won't be able to rely on team members to keep him afloat. Even if he does by some chance make it to the top 2, he doesn't have the energy to really make some magic in the kitchen under any kind of time restraint.

Casey- 2 elimination wins, and 2 quickfire wins. I've liked Casey to make it to the Top 4 from the very beginning. She's got skills, and great potential I think. She's not afraid to take risks, which I really admire in a Chef and think it's a great quality to have. However, since this is a competition, noone is going to watch her back for her and ground her if her ideas go too far astray. The only reason she won't face off against Hung in the Final challenge is if her decision-making gets the best of her.

Sara- 1 Elimination and 1 Quickfire. She's got skills, and she showed it in the quickfire challenge in Round 2 of Restaurant Wars. I think that she limits herself unnecesarily though. She try to make something healthier, or something different, which I admire, but I don't believe that's where her strengths are. More often than not, I think she plays to her weaknesses, and that's why I pick her to go home next week.

Brian- 1 Eliminatioin and 3 quickfires. I really like this guy for Top 4 right now. I think he's done great food, he's quick, and he knows what he's doing in the kitchen. I think he suffers from being too quick sometimes, or maybe more accurate to say he;s too quick in his decisions. He might not make the best leader, as shown in last episode, but I really respect his attitude towards the judges about being called a weak leader- He wasn't their exec. chef, and they weren't his sous chefs or his line cooks as he said. I liek the he was mindful enough to consider them as his contemporaries.

My Top 4- Hung, Casey, Brian, Dale.

My Original Top 4- Hung, Tre, Casey, Dale.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:05 PM   #93
Executive Chef

CC, nice synopsis and I agree with most of what you said. As much as I disliked Howie, I was really, really, REALLY hoping that CJ was the one to go last week. He won't be around for much longer now that there are less contestants and each chef will be called upon to do more in the ensuing challenges. This season is unique to the past two seasons in that not all of the most talented chefs will make it to the top four or top five.

I think that they should've made the winner of the quickfire in the "Restaurant Wars" challenge the Executive chef. If you're a "Top Chef", that's what it is all about. If you look at the past two seasons, the winners of that challenge (Lee Ann and Sam) worked their butts off (even though ironically, each never made it to the top 3, both were arguably among the top two from each season). CJ should've been made to do the task and not have been able to choose someone else. I mean being able to choose your team is one thing. But you're given the chance to show your stuff in prime time, you take it and run with it. CJ copped out AGAIN. The show is not "Top Sous Chef". CJ takes on as little responsibility as possible because he is clearly out of his league. So he can make a good dish here or there. So what. There are thousands of professional cooks and even homecooks who can do the same thing. Looks like he really does have less balls, both figureatively and litterally.

I like Brian, but I think he's been skating on thin ice lately. He hasn't cooked anything in like a month. This past week he did a raw ahi poke, in the restaurant wars he didn't cook anything (although I suspect he did the raw oyster amuse in part I), and in the episode before that he did a raw bar. I mean dude, I love raw seafood too but WTF?

I guess I'll stick to my final three of Hung, Brian, and Dale although Sara M. has come on strong the past couple of episodes. Please, oh please let CJ be gone next week. Then there will be no "The Next Food Network Star" contestests left.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:41 AM   #94
Master Chef

CC -- interesting observations.. altho I diagree with your assessment of Casey. NOONE who cannot chop an onion should even be in the competition to start with, imho. I think the producers are taken with the similarity in her looks to Jennifer Aniston.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #95
Senior Cook

I was very unhappy top see Tre go. Dale and Hung are good and think they could possibly be the final 2.

Sara really has turned it on in the last few episodes.

I like brian, But all he does is raw seafood.

Colicchio DOES NOT like chefs that are not flexible! Even last season, he questioned whether or not Ilan could cook anything other than spanish food
Old 09-09-2007, 03:22 PM   #96
Cook

One of the things that has been different this year is that all of the remaining contestants have been in real danger of being eliminated at least once. It was pretty obvious in Season 1 that Harold, Tiffany and Lee Anne were going to be strong contenders (Dave was the real wild card, though). Last season, I expected Sam to win, but still felt that Ilan and Marcelle would be in the top 4. I probably expected Cliff to make it farther than Elia, but then, he wasn't eliminated based on his skills, so that doesn't count.

This season, I have no idea who will be in the final 4. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the remaining contestants eliminated or to see any of them win the competition. That said, I did say to my husband on Wednesday night that I'd be nervous if Casey started talking about how tight she was with me, because the night she said it about Leah, Leah was eliminated and the night she said it about Tre, there he went....
Old 09-09-2007, 10:45 PM   #97
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
CC -- interesting observations.. altho I diagree with your assessment of Casey. NOONE who cannot chop an onion should even be in the competition to start with, imho. I think the producers are taken with the similarity in her looks to Jennifer Aniston.

I don't think she looks at all like Jennifer Aniston, and as a big fan of Jennifer Aniston, I think I'd know

In Casey's defense, she did KNOW how to chop the onion, she just did it very very slowly. It's hard to dismiss her since she runs once of the most successful restaurants in Texas. She's hit or miss, but I think she's top 4 material.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:29 AM   #98
Master Chef

So I went to her bio and it said she's the Executive Chef of Shinsei Restaurant "one of the most successful in the state." What the heck does that mean? According to whom?

Tre is sous of truly one of the most successful restaurants in the state... ABACUS!

and who owns the restaurant and made HER Exec when she can't chop an onion. Sorry, but professional cooks.... every line cook I ever saw... chops an onion faster than Casey! and nerves are no excuse. That's a task all chefs can do literally in their sleep.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:16 AM   #99
Chef Extraordinaire

heck, i can chop an onion finer and faster than that.

are we being fooled by the producers and editors? is she the technical fall guy/girl for the time being?

and jennifer anniston? no way. her look is far too waspy. jen ain't a wasp by any stretch, even after rhinoplasty.

meow.

does anyone (outside of those who wish to think of thmselves elite) actually use restaurant reviews as a guide?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:58 AM   #100
Executive Chef

In Colicchio's blog on the Bravo site, he said that Casey's knives were blunted because of chopping on the stainless steel counters in the roach coaches. That's why she ended up using her serrated knife instead of her chefs knife to dice the onions. I'm assuming that one of the rules of the quickfire was that each chef needed to use their own blades and could not use each other's. Still, that doesn't excuse her from not keeping her knives sharp.