Top Chef Season 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carolelaine said:
IC hard to imagine not ever having chicken ala king, tuna casserole or chicken and dumplings. Wow. I do not care for Hung either, he comes across as way to thrilled with himself and just plain mean.

I can believe it. I've been living here for 18 years and never had any of those dishes. Heard about them, but never tried them .:ermm:

Missed the show, only caught the last few minutes.:(

skilletlicker said:
no one is competing for the guy we love to hate. Hung seemed to be claiming the honor. He is kind of arrogant but I don't think he has it in him to be as obnoxious as foam guy from last season or wine guy from the one before.

Agreed!!

How could Colicchio possibly win the "Who's the sexiest judge" viewer poll? Even taking into account that Padma and Gail had to split their constituency, I still can't believe it.

My guess is that more women watch and vote than men.

mitmondol said:
I can believe it. I've been living here for 18 years and never had any of those dishes. Heard about them, but never tried them .:ermm:

But Adrienne, you're not a chef in US.... I can understand that you've never tried them, because the past 18 years, they haven't exactly been the kind of dishes most US folks are eating, and not much seen in restaurants other than diners (maybe) any more.

Robo410 said:
I enjoy the show, but am amazed by some of the lack of thought...
If you don't know a dish or a region, there are ways today to get the info quickly! Called computers. So many online sources of info. Joey had the right idea last night...call the experts at his restaurant and get the recipe!
But no Knowledge of Latino cuisine, or of American diner standards, or healthy cuisine techniques???

As they keep asking, "what were you thinking?"

The thing is, we don't know if they're even allowed to have online access between the time that the challenge is issued and when they are cooking. In the first season, I know they had access to the internet but I don't remember seeing it in season 2 or so far in season 3. And unless it's just editing, it appears that they go straight to the store as soon as the challenge is issued so they wouldn't have any time regardless. Plus, once you buy your ingredients you're more or less committed to what you were planning to make.

And from what I saw, Joey didn't call his cooks at the restaurant. He just winged it from watching them and tasting the crew meal.

mitmondol said:

Yup, it's mainly demographics. Although I may have tried them when I was younger, I certainly don't remember them. I also have no desire to try most of the ones that I've never had.

The age bracket of most of the chefs are in the 25-30 range. I'm in the same age bracket. While we've eaten many of the comfort foods like taco, sloppy joes, etc., some of them we just didn't grow up eating and if we did, they certainly weren't memorable enough to commit to memory or to keep a part of our repertoire.

ironchef said:
The thing is, we don't know if they're even allowed to have online access between the time that the challenge is issued and when they are cooking. In the first season, I know they had access to the internet but I don't remember seeing it in season 2 or so far in season 3. And unless it's just editing, it appears that they go straight to the store as soon as the challenge is issued so they wouldn't have any time regardless. Plus, once you buy your ingredients you're more or less committed to what you were planning to make.

And from what I saw, Joey didn't call his cooks at the restaurant. He just winged it from watching them and tasting the crew meal.
I think you're right ironchef. If they had been allowed to do research between the assignment of a challenge and the challenge itself, they wouldn't be able to edit out all evidence of it.

Also, as you say, sometimes very good chefs are at a tremendous disadvantage when the challenge involves things they've barely even tasted, let alone cooked. I think thats what happened to Sara N. this week. I think she said that her exposure to latin cuisine was limited to having once had a Mexican-American roommate.

By the way, Chef June, I did get that the time was reduced from 3 to 1 1/2 hours. My point was her ceviche/guacamole might not have really been very time/labor intensive. If you know what you're doing, have the masa made, and have access to a tortilla press and a griddle big enough to cook three or four or more at time, then knocking out 20 corn tortillas can be done pretty quickly, even by an amateur like me. So after seeing her final dish I wondered if a professional cook, experienced with the cuisine, might not have been able to do both in 90 minutes. On the other hand, if she was going to make masa, not instant, the full three hours wouldn't be enough time unless there is a method I've never heard of. You see it's so rare that a chef takes on one of the very few tasks that I actually know a little about, that I was disappointed when it didn't happen.

I think the chicken and dumpling thing is demographics. Even 25 to 30 year olds around here have had them. Not my favorite food, but I have tried them. IC, you are probabally right about the final three, if Casey improves a little. Does anyone think she looks like Jen. Aniston? This season they really aren't showing as much of the interactions at the hotel as they have before. It's been more just cooking and that's ok with me. It keeps me from having feelings about them that interfere with my thoughts on their dish.

I forgot about Brian. I like him because he is always pushing himself. I like how he chose the eel and snake even though he never worked with either, and how he made four tarts and a seafood trio in the other quickfires. The guy is able to do a lot in very little time. The lobster stuffed cabbage was stupid but he does push himself which is I like. I think so far he's the only chef to do that in every challenge.

skilletlicker said:
How could Colicchio possibly win the "Who's the sexiest judge" viewer poll? Even taking into account that Padma and Gail had to split their constituency, I still can't believe it.

Oh come on now, Tom is “Da’ Man”! LOL.

He’s my favorite judge, and the two women, more often than not, get on my nerves. They have such a pretentious aire about them that I often don’t care what they think. But Tom is far more down to earth, hardcore, and ready for business. He’s obviously very knowledgeable, fair, and knows how to get the job done.

I would have voted for him, just because I don’t like the other two judges, and I’m a guy! I was happy to see him win.

That being said, I don’t think I would actually like to work FOR Tom, as I imagine he could really tear you a new one if you got on his bad side! :LOL:

skilletlicker said:
I think thats what happened to Sara N. this week. I think she said that her exposure to latin cuisine was limited to having once had a Mexican-American roommate.

The smartest thing she did was to buy the pre-made tortillas. Even if the cooking time did not get cut in half, she obviously was not confident that her homemade ones would come out.

Whether or not she used homemade tortillas, her final dish was atrocious, and I think she should've been voted off instead of Lia. Lia had a good concept. Unfortunately for her, she ran into tasters who were obviously only interested in the more traditional dishes from their own background. Even Tom (I think it was Tom) said that her dish probably seemed less flavored only because it was surrounded by dishes that had so much heat. She admitted that she had no background in any Latin foods which is probably why her dish was so mild. I don't think understood the Latin palette. But again, I think her concept was good, it was just bad timing. She's also obviously a better chef than Sara N.

For the record, I would've put out a Latin-fusion dish as well, and not a traditional Latin dish just knowing how discerning the tasters would be. I would never have done something like Arroz con Pollo like Hung because c'mon, that's something that the tasters would've eaten their entire lives and they will KNOW if it's not done right. He had some balls for trying it, but he shouldn't have been surprised when they told him the flavors were off.

Obviously, Howie played it smart using his knowledge of Cuban cuisine to make a very traditional Cuban dish. Roast Pork with Sour Orange is one of the most traditional and classic Cuban dishes there is. So did Joey with his. Again, they're doing well now, but I stand by my statement that once the competitions focus strictly on upscale--which they will if season 3 follows the same format as the first 2--they won't be around long after.

Last edited:
People who don't appreciate Padma enough said:
He’s my favorite judge, and the two women, more often than not, get on my nerves.

Tom's the real deal. Padma and Gail are idiots that happen to look good.
;) The poll was "sexiest" not "most knowledgeable." I don't have strong opinions about Gail but feel compelled to defend Padma. It is unfair to compare her to that bald headed guy. Compared to Mrs. Joel she is incredibly more witty, personable, and knowledgeable. I confess to infatuation in spite of being old enough to be her father. On the other hand, I'm slightly younger than her husband.

About judging...

When I was watching Top Chef last night, as the episode was going off and the credits were rolling, I saw a bit of quick text get flashed on the screen. It was fast, and I only had time to read a few words (and usually I just ignore it), but I caught enough to make me activate the DVR and rewind it. I paused it and read the whole text.

It said that the decision on who is eliminated and who wins the show is based on BOTH the judge’s opinion AND the producer’s decisions. Ok, maybe I was being naïve, but I never thought the producers had a say in judging the show. I mean, Tom, a seasoned and professional CHEF, could say that such-and-such’s dishes have been HORRIBLE five times straight and they need to go only to get shot down by a Producer that says “No, no, no, that contestant is really popular with the 25-35 demographic and is really pulling in the ratings. Keep them for another show or two while we secure some more advertising”.

I hope that isn’t happening, but I have seen some really strange decisions on the show.......

skilletlicker said:
;) The poll was "sexiest" not "most knowledgeable." I don't have strong opinions about Gail but feel compelled to defend Padma. It is unfair to compare her to that bald headed guy. Compared to Mrs. Joel she is incredibly more witty, personable, and knowledgeable. I confess to infatuation in spite of being old enough to be her father. On the other hand, I'm slightly younger than her husband.

I see your point, but knowledge is sexy!:-p

Besides, true beauty and sex appeal is only 10% exterior, the majority of one’s ultimate appeal is what is inside and how you carry yourself......and Tom has got that to spare. The girls are nice eye candy, but the wrapper is empty.

Really, what is the use of being around a drop dead gorgeous super model if you can't stand for him/her to open his/her mouth?????:)

ironchef said:
The smartest thing she did was to buy the pre-made tortillas. Even if the cooking time did not get cut in half, she obviously was not confident that her homemade ones would come out.

Whether or not she used homemade tortillas, her final dish was atrocious, and I think she should've been voted off instead of Lia.
. . .
I'm not sure even the pre-made tortillas were served. Either way, the homemade would not have improved her lot. She did seem at sea in earlier episodes as well, almost lucking into successful dishes.

skilletlicker said:
I'm not sure even the pre-made tortillas were served. Either way, the homemade would not have improved her lot. She did seem at sea in earlier episodes as well, almost lucking into successful dishes.

She used the pre-made ones. She fried them and made them into chips to use with the avocado "ceviche". Tom told her that she basically made chips and dip.

keltin said:
It said that the decision on who is eliminated and who wins the show is based on BOTH the judge’s opinion AND the producer’s decisions.

That's been in the credits since season 1. In his blog, Tom has said that while the producers do have input, a lot more is weighted on the results of the current challenge and the tasting/execution. That's pretty much how Lia can have the best dish on one episode, and then be voted off in the next. Of course Tom is employed by Bravo for this show so he could be just saying that to blow smoke up everyone's ***, but knowing what I know about him as a chef, I don't think he would continue to do the show if his knowledge and decisions would be undermined in that manner.

keltin said:
I see your point, but knowledge is sexy!:-p

Only in the mind of the beholder. Alan Greenspan has encyclopedic knowledge of macro-economic fiscal management but he doesn't float my boat one bit. His wife, Andrea Mitchell, in the right light, discussing geopolitics, well thats a different matter.
:)

skilletlicker said:
Only in the mind of the beholder. Alan Greenspan has encyclopedic knowledge of macro-economic fiscal management but he doesn't float my boat one bit. His wife, Andrea Mitchell, in the right light, discussing geopolitics, well thats a different matter.

True! What a way to poke a hole in my POV!

LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Einstein was amazing, but I’m not all that passionate about quantum physics…….it is interesting………but food is a bit more sexy. The beholder is always the determining factor. Thanks for the reality check! ;)

Last edited:
skilletlicker said:

Heh.....I just checked your profile, and your B'Day is one day after mine. I'm August 26. How goes it fellow Virgo?:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom