"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-19-2007, 05:45 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
I think thats what happened to Sara N. this week. I think she said that her exposure to latin cuisine was limited to having once had a Mexican-American roommate.
The smartest thing she did was to buy the pre-made tortillas. Even if the cooking time did not get cut in half, she obviously was not confident that her homemade ones would come out.

Whether or not she used homemade tortillas, her final dish was atrocious, and I think she should've been voted off instead of Lia. Lia had a good concept. Unfortunately for her, she ran into tasters who were obviously only interested in the more traditional dishes from their own background. Even Tom (I think it was Tom) said that her dish probably seemed less flavored only because it was surrounded by dishes that had so much heat. She admitted that she had no background in any Latin foods which is probably why her dish was so mild. I don't think understood the Latin palette. But again, I think her concept was good, it was just bad timing. She's also obviously a better chef than Sara N.

For the record, I would've put out a Latin-fusion dish as well, and not a traditional Latin dish just knowing how discerning the tasters would be. I would never have done something like Arroz con Pollo like Hung because c'mon, that's something that the tasters would've eaten their entire lives and they will KNOW if it's not done right. He had some balls for trying it, but he shouldn't have been surprised when they told him the flavors were off.

Obviously, Howie played it smart using his knowledge of Cuban cuisine to make a very traditional Cuban dish. Roast Pork with Sour Orange is one of the most traditional and classic Cuban dishes there is. So did Joey with his. Again, they're doing well now, but I stand by my statement that once the competitions focus strictly on upscale--which they will if season 3 follows the same format as the first 2--they won't be around long after.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:00 PM   #52
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by People who don't appreciate Padma enough
He’s my favorite judge, and the two women, more often than not, get on my nerves.

Tom's the real deal. Padma and Gail are idiots that happen to look good.
The poll was "sexiest" not "most knowledgeable." I don't have strong opinions about Gail but feel compelled to defend Padma. It is unfair to compare her to that bald headed guy. Compared to Mrs. Joel she is incredibly more witty, personable, and knowledgeable. I confess to infatuation in spite of being old enough to be her father. On the other hand, I'm slightly younger than her husband.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:07 PM   #53
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
About judging...

When I was watching Top Chef last night, as the episode was going off and the credits were rolling, I saw a bit of quick text get flashed on the screen. It was fast, and I only had time to read a few words (and usually I just ignore it), but I caught enough to make me activate the DVR and rewind it. I paused it and read the whole text.

It said that the decision on who is eliminated and who wins the show is based on BOTH the judge’s opinion AND the producer’s decisions. Ok, maybe I was being naïve, but I never thought the producers had a say in judging the show. I mean, Tom, a seasoned and professional CHEF, could say that such-and-such’s dishes have been HORRIBLE five times straight and they need to go only to get shot down by a Producer that says “No, no, no, that contestant is really popular with the 25-35 demographic and is really pulling in the ratings. Keep them for another show or two while we secure some more advertising”.

I hope that isn’t happening, but I have seen some really strange decisions on the show.......
Old 07-19-2007, 06:11 PM   #54
Head Chef

Quote:
The poll was "sexiest" not "most knowledgeable." I don't have strong opinions about Gail but feel compelled to defend Padma. It is unfair to compare her to that bald headed guy. Compared to Mrs. Joel she is incredibly more witty, personable, and knowledgeable. I confess to infatuation in spite of being old enough to be her father. On the other hand, I'm slightly younger than her husband.
I see your point, but knowledge is sexy!

Besides, true beauty and sex appeal is only 10% exterior, the majority of one’s ultimate appeal is what is inside and how you carry yourself......and Tom has got that to spare. The girls are nice eye candy, but the wrapper is empty.

Really, what is the use of being around a drop dead gorgeous super model if you can't stand for him/her to open his/her mouth?????
Old 07-19-2007, 06:12 PM   #55
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
The smartest thing she did was to buy the pre-made tortillas. Even if the cooking time did not get cut in half, she obviously was not confident that her homemade ones would come out.

Whether or not she used homemade tortillas, her final dish was atrocious, and I think she should've been voted off instead of Lia.
. . .
I'm not sure even the pre-made tortillas were served. Either way, the homemade would not have improved her lot. She did seem at sea in earlier episodes as well, almost lucking into successful dishes.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:16 PM   #56
Executive Chef

Quote:
I'm not sure even the pre-made tortillas were served. Either way, the homemade would not have improved her lot. She did seem at sea in earlier episodes as well, almost lucking into successful dishes.
She used the pre-made ones. She fried them and made them into chips to use with the avocado "ceviche". Tom told her that she basically made chips and dip.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:20 PM   #57
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin
It said that the decision on who is eliminated and who wins the show is based on BOTH the judge’s opinion AND the producer’s decisions.

That's been in the credits since season 1. In his blog, Tom has said that while the producers do have input, a lot more is weighted on the results of the current challenge and the tasting/execution. That's pretty much how Lia can have the best dish on one episode, and then be voted off in the next. Of course Tom is employed by Bravo for this show so he could be just saying that to blow smoke up everyone's ***, but knowing what I know about him as a chef, I don't think he would continue to do the show if his knowledge and decisions would be undermined in that manner.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:42 PM   #58
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin
I see your point, but knowledge is sexy!
Only in the mind of the beholder. Alan Greenspan has encyclopedic knowledge of macro-economic fiscal management but he doesn't float my boat one bit. His wife, Andrea Mitchell, in the right light, discussing geopolitics, well thats a different matter.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:55 PM   #59
Head Chef

Quote:
Only in the mind of the beholder. Alan Greenspan has encyclopedic knowledge of macro-economic fiscal management but he doesn't float my boat one bit. His wife, Andrea Mitchell, in the right light, discussing geopolitics, well thats a different matter.
True! What a way to poke a hole in my POV!

LOL!

Einstein was amazing, but I’m not all that passionate about quantum physics…….it is interesting………but food is a bit more sexy. The beholder is always the determining factor. Thanks for the reality check!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:58 PM   #60
Head Chef

Quote:
Heh.....I just checked your profile, and your B'Day is one day after mine. I'm August 26. How goes it fellow Virgo?