"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-19-2007, 08:37 PM   #61
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
But Adrienne, you're not a chef in US.... I can understand that you've never tried them, because the past 18 years, they haven't exactly been the kind of dishes most US folks are eating, and not much seen in restaurants other than diners (maybe) any more.
You are right June.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:20 AM   #62
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
... Padma and Gail are idiots that happen to look good.
Oh, I don't think they are. I'm not sure what Padma's credentials are for the job of judge on Top Chef, foodwise, but she's no dummy. and Gail, as I understand, is held in high esteem at F&W.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:21 PM   #63
Executive Chef

Anyone see the episode they aired this past Wednesday? They clarified that the chefs do not have access to the internet, telephones, television, etc. So if anyone is still wondering why they don't have anything to refer to during specific challeges (i.e. Latin recipes for the Latin foods challenge), that question has been answered.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:02 PM   #64
Senior Cook

I watched it. I thought that it was kind of interesting. I almost felt like they apologized for chosing Ilan in a subtle way. The pretend judging with the steak and eggs was at 4:30 in the morning was funny.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:00 PM   #65
Senior Cook

i absolutely love this series!! i have missed the first few episodes of season 3 but hope a marathon will come on soon
Old 08-03-2007, 06:02 AM   #66
Executive Chef

Well, interesting episode this past week. Although I knew that Joey was not going to be around for much longer, I'll admit that I was surprised when he was selected instead of Sara M. After thinking about it, I suppose that the reason Sara was not voted off was because she encountered the same problem as Hung: an extremely stubborn, bullheaded partner. This was the first episode where Hung was actually pretty reserved up until the end at the judges table. I think the frustration of working with Joey finally boiled over and he did what I think anyone would do in that situation: defer the blame. I think even though the judges might've thought that Hung should've spoken up more, they knew how Joey was and that no matter what, he wouldn't have listened to Hung anyway. Because Howie is the same way, I think that in itself saved Sara M. I think it came down to which of the two (Howie and Joey) executed their dish more poorly and which of the two mishandled the challenge. And in the end, it was Joey. However, I've changed my view of Howie and I hope he's voted off fairly soon. I was pulling for him because I thought that he was genuinely a nice guy. My guess for the next episode is either Howie or one of the two Saras will go.

The quickfire was lame. C'mon, oatmeal? Tomato paste? WTF kind of ingredients is that for chefs? Break out the harissa, horchata, piquillo peppers, and cantal cheese. Ok, maybe not that hard, but harder then the stuff they used. That was lame.

Watching the elimination challenge, some of the decisions that the chefs made were rather strange. Howie and Sara's selection of shrimp was very strange because anyone who's worked with shrimp knows that the texture of shrimp is severly compromised when shrimp is cooked from a frozen state. It basically turns to mush and it was a poor choice. I thought that Casey and Dale's choice of pesto was very good because pesto is one of those things that can go from cold to hot without losing to much. Their use of meatballs was pretty clever. The first thing that I thought of was chicken, and then sausage. Meatballs never crossed my mind. It was funny hearing Howie dis Sara's wanting to use the rainbow fusilli, then watching his pal Joey select it. Hung was on the right track by wanting to use a thicker pasta like penne. I'll bet Joey is kicking himself in the *** because if he had listened to Hung during the challenge, he probably would still be cooking. CJ and Tre's dish was very impressive. I didn't really know what to make out of CJ yet since he hasn't really stood out except for that one quickfire challenge with Alfred Portale. I was quick to write him off since he was a private chef but he's shown some talent and some creativity. My top three is still Hung, Tre, and Casey. I still feel that Hung will be the one to beat though.

For the record, and this was before they went to the grocery store, the pasta that I would've done if competing would've been penne, ziti, or rigatoni with pesto, italian sausage, prosciutto, sun dried tomato, kalamatta olives, and feta cheese.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:02 AM   #67
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I liked Tre and CJ's dish the best, but I don't think I would have chosen chicken because of the"dry" factor.

IC, have you ever frozen feta? It turns into something kinda like cottage cheese. ICK!

I foresee Hung going long before Padma wants him to....
Old 08-03-2007, 04:33 PM   #68
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
I liked Tre and CJ's dish the best, but I don't think I would have chosen chicken because of the"dry" factor.

IC, have you ever frozen feta? It turns into something kinda like cottage cheese. ICK!

I foresee Hung going long before Padma wants him to....
Depends on the feta I think. The lower quality fetas actually freeze ok. It's the good quality ones that don't. Plus, when it melts, it doesn't really matter.

The only way I see Hung not making the top 3 or 4 is if he really screws up. The past two seasons have shown that no matter what, it all comes down to talent and he and Tre are arguably the most talented. I remember something that I think Harold wrote in one of his blogs, was that they key was that you had to survive all of the bulls*** challenges during the middle of the season. Many of those challenges don't demonstrate your ability as a chef, but have to do with luck, and other factors. If you can get through that and survive till the stretch, then it gets better because everyone you work with at that point will be at least pretty good, you'll start working with great ingredients again, and you can focus on putting out great food instead of just trying to survive the challenge.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:53 AM   #69
Sous Chef

"instead of just trying to survive the challenge. " - this is the feeling I'm getting each week - no one is trying to shine and do his/her best! Just surviving should not win this.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:22 PM   #70
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs
"instead of just trying to survive the challenge. " - this is the feeling I'm getting each week - no one is trying to shine and do his/her best! Just surviving should not win this.
I think as the cast gets smaller and when they start using really good products (like in the exotic surf 'n turf challenge) again, we'll start to see more of the creativity come out. But that's what I liked about Marcel, Steven, and Lee Ann. Even when they were given a subpar product to work with, they still tried to push the limits on it.