Top Chef Season 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
Anyone else catch this last night? I must say, they really threw everyone for a loop with both the quickfire and elimination challenges. The right person was voted off however, as in both challenges his food was just horrible in technique and presentation. I don't think that guy Joey from NYC is going to last very long either. My early favorite is Hung who placed in the top 2/3 for both challenges.

Regarding the elimination challenge: that was definitely a tough challenge due to the exotic ingredients and the time constraint. Two hours is not a long time to work with an unfamiliar food because it doesn't really give you a lot of chances to experiment with flavors and especially cooking techniques. Was not too impressed with the first group as they had their choice of proteins and still weren't in the top dishes. The second group had it much, much tougher. If I was in the second group, I probably would've chosen the kangaroo/ostrich and geoduck/eel/abalone as I've worked with those ingredients. I'm actually surprised that no one in the first group chose the abalone.

Now we'll see what happens but the caliber and overall quality of chefs is much higher than the first two seasons. If they threw this challenge in the first episode for seasons 1 and 2 then half the cast would've failed it in both seasons. And by failing, I mean by not completing the task, not just by their food not tasting good. Ironically, the person who was voted off first in season 1 (the Australian guy) might've done well considering they had so many ingredients from down under.

Last edited:
Yeah ic, I agree. This seems to be a more experienced group overall and they sent home the right person.

As for the ingredients, many of them I'd never even heard of. Between the geoduck and the black chicken I felt a little like Jessica Simpson asking if this stuff is chicken or fish.

In the preview clips that Hung fellow looked like he was being promoted as the new Marcel. The chef that ordinary folks tune in to root against. I wonder if the producers were disappointed that he actually came across as a pretty decent kid.

skilletlicker said:
Yeah ic, I agree. This seems to be a more experienced group overall and they sent home the right person.

As for the ingredients, many of them I'd never even heard of. Between the geoduck and the black chicken I felt a little like Jessica Simpson asking if this stuff is chicken or fish.

In the preview clips that Hung fellow looked like he was being promoted as the new Marcel. The chef that ordinary folks tune in to root against. I wonder if the producers were disappointed that he actually came across as a pretty decent kid.

He probably will still come across as an *******, but much more different than Marcel. From what I've seen, it comes more from his passion and from not wanting to deal with idiots or people who don't share his passion. It looks like Hung has a much better understanding of food and flavors, whereas Marcel puts too much emphasis on presentation at the expense of what the food will actually taste like.

Marcel was also more about himself than the food. I think maybe Joey is most like Marcel. Very cocky, and more about himself. From what they've shown, his attitude sucks and he's a crybaby. Hey, who cares if you're from NYC? If you can bring it, then bring it. It doesn't matter where you're from. I think he's on the wrong show anyway. He should be on The Soprano's.

Clay definitely was the right one to go. I also agreed with Hung and Tre being the top two. IC, you are very right in saying that about the 2 earlier seasons failing on one account or another if they had either or both challenges to face. I think this season may be a lot better contest. LOL! I was thinking the same thing about Joey!

ironchef said:
I think maybe Joey is most like Marcel. Very cocky, and more about himself. From what they've shown, his attitude sucks and he's a crybaby. Hey, who cares if you're from NYC? If you can bring it, then bring it. It doesn't matter where you're from. I think he's on the wrong show anyway. He should be on The Soprano's.
Until I read your description above I couldn't place Joey. The Soprano shtick was all that I remembered about him.

I watched it last night, and I agree Tre and Hung stood out among the chefs for their skills and their style. The producers seem to be improving the show with each series. The first episode featured some very different challenges from the earlier shows.

Hard to believe Clay made the cut in the first place! :rolleyes: He seemed in way over his head.

Did you know Lee Ann from the first show is the "Producing Chef" for this series? I met her Tuesday evening and she has become quite the glamor girl!

Yes, a much more experienced and knowledgeable cast this season. Will be fun to watch how everything plays out.

And love him or hate him, Anthony Bourdain always makes it interesting.

ChefJune said:
Did you know Lee Ann from the first show is the "Producing Chef" for this series? [highlight]I met her Tuesday evening and she has become quite the glamor girl![/highlight]
Please elaborate ChefJune. She was not only a favorite of mine from series one but I thought she'd make a great daughter in law.
Mudbug, this is Lee Anne.
img_450482_0_5a8e8bfe051fbf049a7fda4e106fe6e2.jpg

Flourgirl said:
I think she (LeAnn) was at the Union Square challenge last night between Ilan and Sam.

Am I right? So lucky you got to go!
No, we were both guests at the AIWF Champagne Gala on Tuesday night. :chef:

turtledove said:
This leads to a 3 part video of a taste test between Hung and Clay. The Battle is On: Hung vs. Clay, pt.1 - Videos - Bravo TV

Pretty amusing. Unfortunately for Clay, in regards to cooking talent, that score would have been much, much wider. It's underrated as to how hard blind taste testing is. A big part of cooking and eating is that visual aspect. You lose it and the brain will get confused.

Tony Bourdain made a derrière of himself, nothing new there, and Padma provided the gratuitous T&A, nothing new there either.

The guy with the snake didn't know how to cook snake and the guy with the alligator didn't know how to cook alligator (he should have been watching Paula Deen!), no surprise there, and the dude that actually knew what he was doing, won. Now THAT was a total surprise! I also noticed there was no Stephen/Marcel clone for season 3. What's up with that?

Last edited:
Yes, the visual is very important; not sure how many people here have tried blind taste testing. Not as easy as some people can make it look at all.

I guess maybe Bravo felt they needed to give Clay more media exposure since his 15 minutes of fame didn't last very long. Or maybe they were trying to prove that if two people are blindfolded, the competition between the best and worst is much closer.

ironchef said:
I guess maybe Bravo felt they needed to give Clay more media exposure since his 15 minutes of fame didn't last very long. Or maybe they were trying to prove that if two people are blindfolded, the competition between the best and worst is much closer.
...or that after the aired remarks about his father, the sympathy factor would result in some hue and cry to bring him back?

I haven't had a chance to watch this video, but I'm afraid that at the end Clay is going to look an even bigger fool than he did on episode 1. Hung is not only talented, he's also a horse's a$$, as he admitted on camera.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom