"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-22-2006, 10:12 PM   #91
Senior Cook

I have watched the showand like it. My question is do these cooking shows really give an accurate portrayal of what it would be like to work in a professional kitchen?

Old 01-08-2007, 01:02 AM   #92
Hospitality Queen

Anyone see last Wednesday's show? Woo-Hoo I wanted to grab Ilan and give him a kiss for his now famous line to Marcel:

"Keep makin' your foams and go cry in a corner!"

Way to go, Mikey - he hit both the quickfire and elimination! Great comment Chef Tom had about how Mikey ought to cook while on Vicodin more often.

Sad to see Betty go - not for her culinary treasures, but for her sweetness.

Still think Sam and Cliff will be in the top 3. Would love to see Ilan get up further as well.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:47 AM   #93
Sous Chef

I saw it and enjoyed it - I agreed with the decision about Betty, altho I hated to see her go, her choices for the last few nights had really been lacking. I think the judges get such a kick out of the droofus Marcel, that they'll probably keep him till almost the end just for entertainment!!

Stargazer - I can only say from my experience in professional kitchens, on one hand it can look like mass confusion, but it you watch a little while, it's like a choreographed dance. Everyone knows what they are to do, how to do it and where to do it. It's a beautiful thing to watch - and be a part of.

As far as the back-biting, b**ching and general carrying on, it can happen, but the Chef/Instructor I learned from had the greatest advice for all of us - while in the kitchen everyone works together and works well together. Once you leave the kitchen, the is no reason to associate with or speak to someone if you prefer. BUT NEVER TAKE IT IN THE KITCHEN!!
Old 01-08-2007, 02:23 PM   #94
Executive Chef

My daughter and I watch over the phone. She's back at her dorm already. She's got the hots for Sam. I wonder if she knows he works in the same city she's living in now..?

The thought of marcel dripping chocolate sauce into an open mouth makes me want to hurl.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:38 PM   #95
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
The thought of marcel dripping chocolate sauce into an open mouth makes me want to hurl.

Ewww... it was gross.

I was glad to see Betty leave. She became way too whiney towrd the end. I also don't think her skill set can match up with the others (except Mikey).

If Marcel makes another gelee or foam I think I'll throw the tv thorugh the window. He should be sent home if he ever does it again,.

My top 3 predictions are Elan, Elia and Sam.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:46 PM   #96
Executive Chef

For a better insight and for more interesting info on the show, go to the website and read the blogs. They have blogs for all of the judges plus Harold and Lee Anne.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:14 PM   #97
Head Chef

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Vera, I guess hurling is OK, but I have it on good authority that snickering is not allowed.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #98
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to stinemates Send a message via MSN to stinemates Send a message via Yahoo to stinemates Send a message via Skype™ to stinemates
I, for one, like Marcel because of the comic relief. He definitely gets picked on a LOT, and I think the camera spins it quite a bit for full effect. I really hated Steven last season to begin with but my god that guy had style and some amazing dishes, and in the end, I ended up really respecting him.

It would be nice to see someone good and humble win again. I lost a lot of respect for Sam when he started talking so much crap this week. Oh well.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:36 PM   #99
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinemates
I, for one, like Marcel because of the comic relief.
Stinemates, glad to hear you're in Marcel's corner because I thought he was all alone, and it would be a shame if sympathy interfered with the fun of rooting against him.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #100
Head Chef

To me this is just theater.

They purposefully pick personalities that will differ and clash. And I believe they have a pretty good idea who will win very early on.

But they have to maintain certain flashy/contentious personalities for as long as they can, otherwise no one will watch. Pare away all but the quiet folks and there are no ratings.

I enjoy watching to see what recipes they are going to come up with.

Am fascinated with a really good cooks ability to come up with a recipe in a nonce.

But I think the person who walks is chosen partly because of his/her performance but more importantly who will not disturb the ratings too much.

They have to maintain a tension there or else the theater part of the show is lost.

This is the only reality type show I have ever watched. But how they do it seems transparent.

Sorry for being a cynic.