Top Chef Starts Tonight!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, when Tom said he doesn't care what goes on in the kitchen, I was very disappointed. A top chef has to have the whole package, leadership, creativity, management skills...

The title of the show is "Top Chef", not "Top Dish". It's really not (or shouldn't be) just about the food, there are other factors that need to be taken into account.

Renee Attili said:
Do you really think he treated those around him with dignity and respect? A true proffessional would have let Marcel roll off his back. He was an instigator many times. I don't think either one is a true "Top Chef"

'True' (who, other than oneself, can really say what true is?) professionals lose it in the kitchen all the time, happens every day. A professional is someone who can move past it when the smoke clears.

Flourgirl said:
Yes, when Tom said he doesn't care what goes on in the kitchen, I was very disappointed. A top chef has to have the whole package, leadership, creativity, management skills...

The title of the show is "Top Chef", not "Top Dish". It's really not (or shouldn't be) just about the food, there are other factors that need to be taken into account.

That's why I think that somewhere along the line, they got the impression that the public would want to see the final battle between Ilan and Marcel. All the shows were taped months ago. Then, they show them to a control audience and get hours and pages of feedback of what they want. With the exception of someone actually poisoning someone, I think they go with what the panel audience wants.

Flourgirl said:
Yes, when Tom said he doesn't care what goes on in the kitchen, I was very disappointed. A top chef has to have the whole package, leadership, creativity, management skills.

Hmm...funny that Tom said that because he was the one last season who kept preaching that being a "Top Chef" is not only just about cooking. I know Tiffani was told that several times, as well as some of the others.

Oh well, I think most people can agree that this season has been much less satisfying than last season from the judging, to the contestants, and even to the challenges (some of the challenges this year were just stupid, especially the one at the beach). I guess now that this year IS only about the cooking, than it should be fitting that Marcel wins because Ilan just isn't that good.

If they showed these shows to an audience months ago they would completely give away the secret of who won. Duh.

Besides, what would it prove to the network? THey get down to contestant A and B and the audience says "Okay that was pretty good." A true test marketing would present all possible match ups A v C; B vs D, A vs D etc.

They didnt do that obviously. Theory needs some work.

jpinmaryland said:
If they showed these shows to an audience months ago they would completely give away the secret of who won. Duh.

Besides, what would it prove to the network? THey get down to contestant A and B and the audience says "Okay that was pretty good." A true test marketing would present all possible match ups A v C; B vs D, A vs D etc.

They didnt do that obviously. Theory needs some work.

:ermm:I've participated in panels such as this. You get paid for your input and sign waivers promising not to disclose what you see.

I'm going to watch just because I'd hate to miss the end after watching all season, I liked the show up until now. With these 2 finalists, I don't really care which one wins. But I'll stay up just to see.

Me Too. I really wanted Sam to win. I am actually looking forward to the suprises that they have in store. From the info on the website, Leann and Dave are in Hawaii, so I guessing that they are going to pop up some how.
(I love Dave!)

I'll be watching. I really hope that next season's contestants are not like this one's. I liked Sam, but it seemed like there was too much drama for this group. Lots of accusations of cheating, one guy stole stuff, one guy got pinned down and then he punched a camera and he was a jerk anyway. (by the way, did anyone else notice the comments in a couple of the blogs that Marcel got hit in the head with a bottle while he was home? I think he had to have 30 stitches)

I was so glad to see marcel didn't win.
I was surprise that Sam went with him and saved him on the one dish and then Marcel admitted sam saved him.

What an anti-climatic show. after all the drama and hype it came down to Marcel forgetting his fish. I have to say the food looked and sounded like it was delicious.

I believe it came down to management skills. Marcel's could have won on food alone, his dishes were more creative and innovative and he turned out a great meal despite all the mishaps. However, Ilan was able to manage his support staff and utilized their talents to the fullest. His staff was watching his back and supported him fully. Whereas Marcel's staff just wasn't totally behind him. A chef can't be successful on his own, he needs an entire staff working to fulfill his vision. Ilan won in that respect.

Renee Attili said:
What an anti-climatic show. after all the drama and hype it came down to Marcel forgetting his fish. I have to say the food looked and sounded like it was delicious.

IMO it had nothing to do with him forgetting the fish, as the fish-free dish is what all the judges liked the best.

I think it had more to do with Marcel's salad. It was indicia of him not being ready for "prime time." His molecular gastromony experiments have not been perfected enough.

I was so sad that the ending was given away. Did anyone catch it?

Last week, they showed the finale previews and it showed Padma looking up to her left and saying "you are the Top Chef".

Then, 15 minutes before the end of the show, you see which way her eyes are going when she's speaking to the two finalists, and it's obvious.

In any sense, I believe that Ilan will do wonderfully, but also I have it in my head that Marcel will get quite a following and do equally as well in the industry. Personally, I'd like to try both of their foods.

So, farewell to season 2, and I'm looking forward to season 3.
(IC - I'd still like to see you as a contestant)

I missed it but I am glad to hear the Marcal was not the victor. IMO, niether of them really floated my boat, but to each there own.

marcal seemed to think very highly of himself.

i stayed up until 1am to watch it. i had to be up at 5:45. :wacko:

marcel was a poor loser. his comment about how he thought it would have "taken more than saffron and paprika" to defeat him made me want to smack him again.

Marcel was a poor loser based on the comments he made during Top Design, but that was to be expected based on everything we've seen this season. I think they both had really interesting menus last night. I would have loved to have been there.

buckytom said:
i stayed up until 1am to watch it. i had to be up at 5:45. :wacko:

marcel was a poor loser. his comment about how he thought it would have "taken more than saffron and paprika" to defeat him made me want to smack him again.

I stayed up to 11 to watch, but got to sleep till 5...big deal. :huh: Wish I'd have gone to sleep.
It was nice to finally see a judge I knew. Lou and I ate at L'Impero last winter. It was magnificent and the actual building and city location is indiscribable. You simply have to see this place.

The show ended about the way I assumed it would end. It made sense that Sam would go with Marcel. Marcel and Sam both have similar visions when it comes to the food and preperations. I had the impression, going into the show last night, that it could easily go either way, and Sam picking Marcel was a good bet.

In any event, it's over now. I didn't watch last season, and based on the nonsense of this season, I may not watch next season.

carolelaine said:
Marcel was a poor loser based on the comments he made during Top Design, but that was to be expected based on everything we've seen this season. I think they both had really interesting menus last night. I would have loved to have been there.
I thought I'd watch Top Design to hear the Top Chef comments but couldn't stand more than a couple minutes of it. What did they say?

Back
Top Bottom