"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-25-2007, 04:02 PM   #171
Executive Chef

My tv guide is wrong. Rats, it'll be on later.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:04 PM   #172
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka
I agree with you ChefJune; I think both gals kinda have a "thang" for Marcel.
eeewwww, ick! really?

Old 01-25-2007, 04:55 PM   #173
Hospitality Queen

Maybe Gail has a soft spot for Marcel, but I've noticed that in shows where Marcel may be getting a pat on the head, Padma finds something she didn't like.

I gotta say, I was also shocked! Sam, though, did play it safe, and the lack of cooking really took off the points. Yes, he was really good, and yes, he won the $10,000 "fan favorite" prize money. But, whether he is top chef or not, he'll never have to worry about where he can find a job, imo.
However, after Marcel's near-hazing, I realized I'd been unfairly judging him, and to be honest, he really looks like he loves to study up on his ingredients. So, more power to him.
I've always thought Ilan's food sounded delicious, and he's adorable, and he's got a great personality too, so I'd like to see him win as well. Either way, I'm happy.

(I liked Elia, but thinking back, she's goofed up and broken down too many times for the top chef title, imo)
Old 01-25-2007, 04:57 PM   #174
Head Chef

I would think that if Top Chef was out for ratings only they would have had "Good Son" Sam Vs. "Evil" Marcel. So maybe, just maybe, Marcel and Ilan did have the best food last night. But I do think the judges should have considered past challenges and conduct in the actual kitchen. How the Chefs relate to those around them, in the kitchen, should definetly be considered. True proffessionals treat those around and under them with respect and dignity. Marcel is definetly lacking in that department.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #175
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Attili
How the Chefs relate to those around them, in the kitchen, should definetly be considered. True proffessionals treat those around and under them with respect and dignity. Marcel is definetly lacking in that department.

And that is why I believe Ilan will win.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:34 PM   #176
Head Chef

Do you really think he treated those around him with dignity and respect? A true proffessional would have let Marcel roll off his back. He was an instigator many times. I don't think either one is a true "Top Chef"
Old 01-25-2007, 08:23 PM   #177
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka
Anyone else a bit surprised at the ending of tonight's show?
Surprised? Very much so. But more disgusted than anything. I really, really, really dislike Marcel. Too bad Cliff didn't actually shave a stripe down the middle of Marcel's arrogant head if he was gonna be kicked off anyway. I guess Marcel's the one so many of us "love to hate" & that's why he's still there. Makes for good TV, right?

I want my food to taste good more than I want the plate to be pretty so he wins no points from me for his stupid teardrop designs on every plate.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:18 PM   #178
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
eeewwww, ick! really?

Buckytom summed it up for me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i'm disappointed with the finalists. i'm not as interested in who wins now. kinda like when 2 teams from small markets play for the championship.
Or when two big market teams play over-hyped and over paid players.
The best is when a small market team plays together to defeat the big city boys, but back to to the topic:

Sam and Elia were my favorites for the finals. For me, Marcel is no more than a comic character to root against. Ilan becomes the the guy to root for but only by default; if there is something else on TV at the time, I'll probably just watch the Top Chef Finale when it come up on re-run.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:48 PM   #179
Assistant Cook

I'm with just about everyone else here. I thought Sam should have gotten to go on over Ilan. From what I could remember, he made better stuff, and for the most part did "play well with others." There was one or two episodes I could recall where he just let into Marcel ( can't say I could've kept my cool that long), but there were also episodes where he had to work with Marcel (the catering deal for Access Hollywood) and he handled the team really well. His flavors always sounded good to me over Ilan's. I really hope Marcel doesn't get Top Chef, but as has already been mentioned, I don't think either really deserve Top Chef. It should have been Sam.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #180
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
what really erked me was, the fact the judges said( and the chef especially) "We are judging the food! WE don't care what happens back in the kitchen!".

Now correct me if I am wrong, wasn't last seasons winner noted as having "leadership" and the ability to work with others? And that is part of being a TOP CHEF!