Top Chef Starts Tonight!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I enjoyed it last night also but I almost missed it. On the Project Runway finale (I just saw that and I don't think Jeffery should have won either :-p ), the announcer kept saying Top Chef begins on Wed at 10pm....taking the place of Proj. Runway.

Fortunately, I didn't change the channel or I would have been very aggravated this afternoon.

I can never remember their names! dern it. The editors sure made it seem like the girl who was standing around traumatized would be tossed and she ended up being one of the winners. :rolleyes: Gee, who could have seen that coming?

The blond girl who was asked to leave really stood out with her lack of credentials. Seems like they could have picked someone closer to the others in education and/or experience.

Half Baked said:
Seems like they could have picked someone closer to the others in education and/or experience.

Like many reality shows, a lot of it has to do with the audition or audition tape. The crazier or more aloof you are in that, the better your chances are of getting on the show because the producers WANT the drama and all of the different personalities. Otherwise, a lot of the people with no industry experience wouldn't watch it.

Ironchef, I agree with your thoughts - especially after I saw it on a rerun.

All I can say is I miss Dave! They need a Dave.

jkath said:
Ironchef, I agree with your thoughts - especially after I saw it on a rerun.

All I can say is I miss Dave! They need a Dave.
They also don't have a "Harold!"

At this point I don't think there is a clear frontrunner. I think Ilan is going to self-destruct about half way through. :ohmy:

Anyone see the second episode? Is it just me or is there a drop off in talent this year? I mean everyone seems to be a little more equal which maybe that's what they wanted, but it doesn't seem like anyone is close to the top three last year (Harold, Lee Ann, Tiffani) in terms of talent. Overall I wasn't too impressed with any of the sushi-type dishes they made.

Next to go I think will be Michael, Mia, or Marisa. Did you see the previews for the next episode? LOL, Michael wants to duke it out with Tom Colicchio. That is too funny. And how in the **** does a pastry chef screw up a panna cotta of all things? That's like me or another chef screwing up a vinaigrette. :huh:

I'll watch it this afternoon... It's on way too late for me to watch the first running.

I am so frustrated with my tv guide. I missed Top Chef, again! Guess I'm going to have to channel surf instead of depending on their listings.
My guide said it was a rerun of Project Runway.

Today at 4pm it says "Work Out" and although I know it's lying, I have to head for the dr.

pdswife said:
I'll watch it this afternoon... It's on way too late for me to watch the first running.
Thanks pdswife. I missed it too, but see it's on at 4PM CST.
I couldn't believe after watching the first episode how they found a guy just like Stephen the wine guy only more so.

ironchef, I don't pretend to be able judge their professional skills but I also miss Harold, Lee Ann, and Tiffani.

By the way, for casual home cooks like me, I think this is one of the more informative shows on TV. If I had seen the first episode in my youth I would have never tried to flambe with Boones Farm Strawberry Hill.
:wacko:

Last edited:
So I'm watching Top Chef last night with my girlfriend and when Otto came out of the market saying he thought one of his teams ingredients was not paid for I knew he would go bye bye! Duh! Geez, didn't that numb nuts learn anything from last season? That being a top chef is about stepping up and blah blah blah. Hello Otto, your every move and word is being recorded, you just had to open your big mouth and mention that. Perhaps he was thinking out loud, but still. Getting in the car and driving away was Top Chef suicide. I knew it right away.

And at the end when Otto removed himself from the contest to look like he was trying to do the right thing and be fair. How pathetic can you be? I bet he tried that little stunt at the end of the show to make the judges think, well he was taking responsibility, maybe we should over look it. He already knew that he would have to pack his knives. HA! What a nut.

I would like to retract my comments from a previous post when I said that it looks like the chef's this season seem to have better skills than last seasons chef's. Maybe not. But they are much more strange.

Last year seemed more about cooking. This year seems more about conflicts and individual personalities clashing.

:chef:

Absolutely, RJX! Marisa was just lucky Otto screwed up so badly, or she of the rubber ball panna cotta would've been toast! Any pastry chef who works in US and doesn't know the proper proportions for Knox gelatin .... well, I doubt she'll be around after next week with her wealth of knowledge.

Besides, these competitions are not kind to pastry chefs. Most have too many lapses in their general knowledge.

I like Betty, but I'm afraid if she doesn't have any line experience she won't be able to make it through the last few episodes (if they're anything like the last series). Time will tell.

Seems like a lot more hotheads than there were last time!

Jan, Bravo re-ran last week's episodes just about every day, and some days at least three or four times. You should have no trouble finding a rerun of Episode 2 before next Wednesday.

oh NO!!! I hadn't seen it yet..... Can I make a request for those of us who don't get to watch until the next day...??

Can we not talk about the results for a few days?

Last edited:
pdswife said:
oh NO!!! I hadn't seen it yet..... Can I make a request for those of us who don't get to watch until the next day...??

Can we not talk about the results for a few days?

What, you didn't stay up till 1:00 am like I did? :ROFLMAO: And then get sucked just a little bit in to the rerun of the first episode which was on after? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

lol..no.. I was sound asleep by the time they started thinking about the menu.

Really felt that Marissa should have gone. Too bad that Otto screwed up so bad. I think the show is worth it. It is pretty entertaining and informative.

I just find that alot of the shows have some real no talent hacks, and it just frustrates me more then anything...I end up yelling at the tv.

Tom Colicchio is a plus for them. I worked with Tom during a James Beard dinner. He is an amazing Chef and yet he is still down to earth and very funny.
Chef Mark

Back
Top Bottom