"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-01-2007, 07:13 AM   #191
Head Chef

I was so glad to see marcel didn't win.
I was surprise that Sam went with him and saved him on the one dish and then Marcel admitted sam saved him.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:21 AM   #192
Head Chef

What an anti-climatic show. after all the drama and hype it came down to Marcel forgetting his fish. I have to say the food looked and sounded like it was delicious.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:15 AM   #193
Senior Cook

I believe it came down to management skills. Marcel's could have won on food alone, his dishes were more creative and innovative and he turned out a great meal despite all the mishaps. However, Ilan was able to manage his support staff and utilized their talents to the fullest. His staff was watching his back and supported him fully. Whereas Marcel's staff just wasn't totally behind him. A chef can't be successful on his own, he needs an entire staff working to fulfill his vision. Ilan won in that respect.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:15 AM   #194
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Attili
What an anti-climatic show. after all the drama and hype it came down to Marcel forgetting his fish. I have to say the food looked and sounded like it was delicious.

IMO it had nothing to do with him forgetting the fish, as the fish-free dish is what all the judges liked the best.

I think it had more to do with Marcel's salad. It was indicia of him not being ready for "prime time." His molecular gastromony experiments have not been perfected enough.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:57 AM   #195
Hospitality Queen

I was so sad that the ending was given away. Did anyone catch it?

Last week, they showed the finale previews and it showed Padma looking up to her left and saying "you are the Top Chef".

Then, 15 minutes before the end of the show, you see which way her eyes are going when she's speaking to the two finalists, and it's obvious.

In any sense, I believe that Ilan will do wonderfully, but also I have it in my head that Marcel will get quite a following and do equally as well in the industry. Personally, I'd like to try both of their foods.

So, farewell to season 2, and I'm looking forward to season 3.
(IC - I'd still like to see you as a contestant)
Old 02-01-2007, 01:45 PM   #196
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I missed it but I am glad to hear the Marcal was not the victor. IMO, niether of them really floated my boat, but to each there own.

marcal seemed to think very highly of himself.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:00 PM   #197
Chef Extraordinaire

i stayed up until 1am to watch it. i had to be up at 5:45.

marcel was a poor loser. his comment about how he thought it would have "taken more than saffron and paprika" to defeat him made me want to smack him again.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:41 PM   #198
Senior Cook

Marcel was a poor loser based on the comments he made during Top Design, but that was to be expected based on everything we've seen this season. I think they both had really interesting menus last night. I would have loved to have been there.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:47 PM   #199
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i stayed up until 1am to watch it. i had to be up at 5:45.

marcel was a poor loser. his comment about how he thought it would have "taken more than saffron and paprika" to defeat him made me want to smack him again.
I stayed up to 11 to watch, but got to sleep till 5...big deal. Wish I'd have gone to sleep.
It was nice to finally see a judge I knew. Lou and I ate at L'Impero last winter. It was magnificent and the actual building and city location is indiscribable. You simply have to see this place.

The show ended about the way I assumed it would end. It made sense that Sam would go with Marcel. Marcel and Sam both have similar visions when it comes to the food and preperations. I had the impression, going into the show last night, that it could easily go either way, and Sam picking Marcel was a good bet.

In any event, it's over now. I didn't watch last season, and based on the nonsense of this season, I may not watch next season.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:25 PM   #200
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolelaine
Marcel was a poor loser based on the comments he made during Top Design, but that was to be expected based on everything we've seen this season. I think they both had really interesting menus last night. I would have loved to have been there.
I thought I'd watch Top Design to hear the Top Chef comments but couldn't stand more than a couple minutes of it. What did they say?

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote