Top Chef Starts Tonight!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think that Elia was drunk; I think she really did always want to do that but never got the feedback and encouragement to do it. Kind of like me finally getting a couple of tattoos at the age of 45 when I had been thinking about doing it for over 20 years. I bet there are many of you that have some little (or big) thing that you always thought about doing but haven't......yet. Yes, Cliff was very out of line and the others should have spoken up but that is the way it goes. Marcel is a jerk and a spoiled brat, he'll get his eventually.

I'm going to eat my words - I feel really bad for Marcel. Nobody deserves that kind of childish behavior. There was no excuse for what Cliff did, and I think that eliminating him from the competition was the right thing to do.

I think Padma's way of telling Marcel and Elia was well done. Good TV.

That said, I gotta say I was really tripping out about the show!
Not only did they shop at Lazy Acres (where my sis shops), but the restaurant is the same exact restaurant where I had my first job, hostessing & "coffee & desserting" the after-theater customers. (It's changed hands many times, but it's the same place) Weird!

I think Ilan is adorable, and with that buzz he still is. Elia, however...hmmm. I was thinking GI Jane. At least she'll have hair in the Hawaii episode.

Buckytom, as for your wife, start asking her if she has any inkling to California's lottery numbers. I'll give you a cut ;)

Though I have predicted the removal of Marcel's hair by another contestant for many weeks now, I was really alarmed at the scene last night.

Cliff is 28 years old and seemed like a more level-headed man that that. Ilan not so much. But I agree that I actually felt bad for Marcel.

Did anyone eles note how much hair Ilan and Elia had grown back by the time they were in Hawaii? How much time do you think actually went by?

Of all the blame to be had, I believe the program's producers deserve the lion's share of it.
Boy! do I agree with that! The whole "Anti-Marcel" thing could have and should have been diffused a lot earlier. I think the producers wanted to see how far it would go. I don't believe Cliff wanted to "get" Marcel any more than Sam or Ilan. He just followed through. But I think they all should have been directed towards other outlets for their anxiety and frustration than taking it out on that creep, Marcel!

I recall Harold saying at the beginning of this series that there were people in his series he couldn't stand, but he separated himself from everyone by going into the bathroom when he got overwhelmed with anger.

I think Marcel going to Hawaii was a gift! (just my 2 cents)

The size difference between Cliff and Marcel was alarming. I wonder where the other 3 contestants were when all this was happening, I don't know why no one stepped in to break it all up.

I think if this didn't happen, Marcel would have been sent home, he should have been sent home after serving raw chicken in the last show, there's no excuse for that. They probably kept him because they felt sorry for him and for ratings. I also think Ilan got lucky with his saffron clam dish, he's not that good in my opinion.

Who had the camera during the Cliff and Marcel thing, was it one of the contestants or the regular camera guys. I was glad it didn't get any worse and that Marcel got out of there with his strange hair. He is not a likable character, but I was getting a little concerned that were actually going to shave him. Do you think the shows producers would have let it go that far?

Keep in mind, it was the contestants who had the camera! Remember, they asked to borrow one for their "last night". Considering we saw Ilan and Elia shaving their heads, and obviously Marcel was sleeping, and Cliff was on top of Marcel, wouldn't that lead you to believe that at some point Sam had the camera?

Yes it would, but this is what I wondered last night. If the contestants had control of the camera, why would they have ever let the producers see that tape. They didn't look as if they were too drunk to take a tape out of a camera. I just thought it was strange that first thing next morning, Cliff gets the boot and Chef acts like there was a big discussion behind it. Did the producers get the tape at 4a.m. None of that matters anyway, because it would have been a shame for Marcel to leave, he is so unlikable he keeps the show interesting.

You know what the main difference to me is between this year and last year? For me, I actually cared more about the contestants and who stayed on and who got kicked off last season. I could really care less about the chefs this season and I don't really care anymore who even wins.

Sam was on the couch -- Cliff yelled for him and the camera showed him not getting up. Then Cliff yelled for Ilan, so maybe Elia had the camera?

But the producers obviously were there, so maybe they did film it.

In Tom Colicchio's blog, he says that Ilan held the video camera, Sam laughed and Elia was not in the room. He said he was ready to send all four home and let Marcel win by default, but the producers stopped him and only let Cliff go.

Interesting.

Renee Attili said:
Even if it is edited a little too predictably, I can't help but watch every week and every re-run I run across while channel surfing. I Really enjoy the show. It is one of my "guilty pleasures". Everything from the food to the drama is made to draw the viewer in. We also have to keep in mind, these people also live together. That lends itself to personality conflicts. If the footage between the cooking was boring would there be a conversation going on here now?

I don't believe they live together for as long as the producers want us to imagine. There was an episode where they got together again for the next challange in another city and talked about their jobs. One had been very busy, another had been moving around, and a third's place had closed. It felt like at least a month had passed since they'd seen each other.
Last night they show Elia and Ilan shaving their heads and getting the news that they were going to hawaii. When they show them in the scenes, she easily has 6-8 weeks of hair growth.
If they were filming daily, you'd have seen Mikey's tooth ailment happening, and healing, instead of just the one bad day. I recall another episode when one of them was physically ill, yet the next episode completely cured. I think they get together for a couple of days, and then but out for real life for a while.

Watching Elia pull that wig off her head and recalling all the times that outfit and hairpiece was in an interview, it shows that there is quite of bit of deft editing going on.

Hey, ironchef
Do you know where last year's Dave works? I'm wondering if he's still in No CA, or if he's moved. His cooking I would travel for.

Shunka said:
I don't think that Elia was drunk; I think she really did always want to do that but never got the feedback and encouragement to do it. Kind of like me finally getting a couple of tattoos at the age of 45 when I had been thinking about doing it for over 20 years. I bet there are many of you that have some little (or big) thing that you always thought about doing but haven't......yet. Yes, Cliff was very out of line and the others should have spoken up but that is the way it goes. Marcel is a jerk and a spoiled brat, he'll get his eventually.

Shunka, very nice post. For the record, I proudly wear the badges both of courage and shame acquired in my youth.

ironchef said:
From what I've seen, he's just doing his catering business. He has a website now:

Chef Dave Martin

Thanks! Here's a little something I found:
Dave lives in Long Beach, CA, where he is busy in the kitchen cooking up his next big venture which includes a cookbook, TV show and many other surprises.

Perhaps he'll put his black truffle mac n cheese in the cookbook.

Okay, back to the current season...

Lemons

jkath said:
I'm sooooo excited - I watched each episode last season and was hooked.
Having Tom Colicchio is such a plus, imo.

Just noticed your avatar and thought I would mention that I raided my neighbors lemon tree today. (they were not frozen) I juiced them tonight. I got 2 quarts of juice from 50 lemons.
Now I have to find some lemon recipes!
I'll freeze it in ice cube trays.
One cube will make a nice glass of lemonade.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom