"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-13-2006, 12:00 PM   #1
Master Chef

Tornado Season

We've had hellacious storms the last two nights, including tornadoes in the area that have killed several people. Fortunately, they missed us, but we got close to 13 inches of rain over the weekend. We live on high ground, so we don't have a problem with flooding, but the creeks are rising.
My husband works for a coal company. All the mines are closed, but they still have to be maintained, and when it rains like this, he's busy pumping water from one place to another to keep the EPA happy. That means night shift.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:47 PM   #2
Head Chef

So sorry Constance...this time of the year is very scary! You will be in my prayers!

Old 03-13-2006, 01:47 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Keep safe and warm!
Old 03-13-2006, 03:27 PM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Man, what's with the nasty weather recently in the midwest? We got trounced with a ton of snow last night, and from us south the storms were raging as well. I hadn't heard of tornados in IL, but I had heard of further south.

Glad to hear everyone is safe. I guess I'd rather be removing snow then having to clean up damage from a storm. Neither is fun, but the latter would be harder, I think.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:42 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Bad, bad weather across the Midwest. A little early this year, I think.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:46 PM   #6
Master Chef

It seems that the Tornados and severe weather is moving more north and east these past few years. Ours last year was very mild. Not that I'm complaining. I hope everyone in all the states that are getting hit, stay safe!!
Old 03-13-2006, 03:56 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
We've had hellacious storms the last two nights, including tornadoes in the area that have killed several people. Fortunately, they missed us, but we got close to 13 inches of rain over the weekend. We live on high ground, so we don't have a problem with flooding, but the creeks are rising.
My husband works for a coal company. All the mines are closed, but they still have to be maintained, and when it rains like this, he's busy pumping water from one place to another to keep the EPA happy. That means night shift.
I'm sorry your having such a hard time with the weather there. Tornadoes must be very scarry, even just a funnel cloud would scare me. You had alot of rain in one weekend but thankfully your in high ground! Our winter has been really mild, which for Maine is unusual. No snow at the moment, and just warm temps and rain. I can't complain. Stay safe
Old 03-13-2006, 03:59 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Stay safe Constance. Hope the weather lightens up for you