"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 04-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #21
Head Chef
Some counties in Georgia have them but not all.

Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #22
Master Chef
You all sure had a close call, Aunt Dot. Thank goodness you weren't hurt.

We have enough sirens to cover the community, and they test them the first Tuesday of the month. The sirens usually sound before the storm hits, but, loud as they are, you can't hear them when you've got a tornado aloft right over your head.
This new Doppler radar is a great thing, as it actually locates the tornadoes before they are spotted visually.

I was glad to hear from those of you who don't live in the USA. I always wondered if tornadoes happen in other countries, or if it was just a North American phenomenum.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #23
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
I realise you are really addressing this to the US members, but just cos I can, I thought I would respond anyway. We have nothing here. No fixed sirens for anything anything at all. Might have a cyclone siren in the North West. And no idea about the East coast.

Other than emergency vehicle sirens, the only alert sounds come from the Mr Whippy van (ice cream truck)!! LOL
Bilby, a cyclone is the same as a tornado, except down where you all are, they move clockwise, while up here in the Northern Hemisphere, they move counterclockwise. (I just looked it up.)
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:37 PM   #24
Sous Chef
We get several warnings a season, tornado, severe thunderstorm, and so on.

When the sirens sound Wife grabs a Mag Light, heads to the basement and puts on her full faced motorcycle helmet.

When the sirens sound I grab the binoculars and go outside.

A coworker (from Oklahoma) and I were on the ramp at Orlando International.

We look to the south at the same time, see a funnel cloud descend from the clouds and spin a bunch of times before going back into the clouds. Did I just see that? Yup. ooOOOooooo

A couple of decades ago I was working on a girl friends land ladies house when the weather turned really sour. Dark, high winds, hail. Went into the house, the house starts shaking, the proverbial locomotive sounds, dishes rattling.

Afterwards we went outside to find the tops of trees twisted off, one of the tree tops on my car, and the barn across the street on fire with more than one side of the barn blown away.

NWS said there was no tornado because it didn't show up on their radar. Ok.

Wart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #25
Traveling Welcome Wagon
I don't think we have any around here. And yes, contrary to what many people believe, there are tornados here. In fact I read that my town is 43% more likely than most towns in the US to get one (Of course, there are a lot of other towns! lol I don't think Pageland has ever had one, but there have been quite a few in SC).

I sure hope none of you have tornados on a Wednesday! "Oh that? That's nothing, they're just testing the siren!"

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #26
Head Chef
Thanks Constance. I guess in life one has to experience a bit of everything.

It took us a long time to get back on our feet, but we were just so glad to be alive we didn't really mind the clean up and restoration. At least not all that much.

The only thing I regret is that I did not see the darn thing hit. The devastation happened in seconds. It would have been an experience to observe. Fifty trees, eighty to one hundred feet tall, being tossed down like so many match sticks, in less than thirty seconds.That may sound crazy cause we were lucky enough to get in the house, and had to fight to do that. But it would have been a great show.

But seriously, if you hear the warnings take shelter. Those things are nothing to take casually. They can and do kill.

Have seen the devastation, at least a bit of it, that a tornado can inflict.

Have a plan for yourselves and your children, if they are alone.

And the fact that you live in a place where they almost never have them, well we do, and they can occur.

God bless.
Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #27
Head Chef
We have them here in our little town of 2000 ... they go off every day at noon. A nice way to test them and also a nice time piece for the town.

When the wind is really going, you can hear them as they go off in the neighboring towns. It's facinating (but frightening) to watch them [storms] on radar and then suddenly hear sirens go off 10 miles away in the next town.
JMediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:29 PM   #28
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Barb L. View Post
Yes, we do here in Michigan ! Ours are tested every Wednesday !
Wow, every Wednesday? Up in Oakland Co, ours are only tested on the first Saturday of every month during tornado season. On test day it's a bit of a chore as officers are posted to make sure the sirens are all working. What's worse is that people will still call wondering if there's a tornado (which the police department is not likely to know) or if "we're under attack."

Fortunately, I don't think I've heard one sounded for a storm in the last 10 years.
DrThunder88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #29
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by simplicity View Post
No sirens here...just a series of beeps as a program is interrupted. We get emergency broadcast information by radio or television in cooperation with the National Weather Service. They do a great job!
Same here - no siren but lots of beeps on the TV. And yeah, we do get tornadoes.
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:38 AM   #30
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
Bilby, a cyclone is the same as a tornado, except down where you all are, they move clockwise, while up here in the Northern Hemisphere, they move counterclockwise. (I just looked it up.)
Tornado sounds an awful lot worse than a cyclone though!

After Cyclone Tracey hit Darwin in 1974, the northern end of Australia became a lot more cyclone-savvy. Last year though, some isolated workers got killed by one. Think they determined that the deaths were preventable but I might be wrong. In my lifetime, Perth has only been actually hit by Cyclone Alby in 1980 (?). Normally we just get big winds and increased sea levels from the tailends of em. Thankfully.

Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote