Tornado warning sirens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Just wondering how many of you all have tornado warning sirens in your area. I thought they were pretty much everywhere, but was talking to a friend in S.E. Texas the other day, and he said they didn't have them down there.

I realise you are really addressing this to the US members, but just cos I can, I thought I would respond anyway. We have nothing here. No fixed sirens for anything anything at all. Might have a cyclone siren in the North West. And no idea about the East coast.

Other than emergency vehicle sirens, the only alert sounds come from the Mr Whippy van (ice cream truck)!! LOL

I think my town has something like an air-raid siren. I only heard it once in 33 years, but we don't get tornadoes.

Yes, we have them in North East Ohio and they were tested last Wednesday.

Yep, we got tornado sirens, and lucky us, they test them out every Wednesday!!!!! I have actually heard them go off several times during bad storms. It kinda sends a chill down your spine when it happens.

We don't have them in Virginia, but we rarely get tornadoes. Luckily, we have a few days' notice before a hurricane ;) Actually, I've lived here since 1985 and there have been only a few hurricanes that directly affected us. Mostly just a lot of rain.

according to Toto@Dorothy(Dot)com only the really strange ones happen in Kansas?

I`m glad I`m in the UK, there`s no place like home!

according to Toto@Dorothy(Dot)com only the really strange ones happen in Kansas?

I`m glad I`m in the UK, there`s no place like home!

:LOL: That's actually pretty funny coming from you. I'm imagining the Geico Gecko saying that. "Wot eva, roight?"

We have them, in town and sparsely located throughout the sticks here.
I can't hear mine unless I am outside at testing time listening for it, which ain't gonna do me much good while I'm losing my stupid dish network and internet signal due to a cloud in the way.

Last edited:
No sirens here...just a series of beeps as a program is interrupted. We get emergency broadcast information by radio or television in cooperation with the National Weather Service. They do a great job!

Well we certainly have them here in SE Texas. The place I grew up in has 2 on either side of town and they test them every month. They sound like those bomb raid sirens form the movies.

Can attest that we here in Northern VA have no sirens. Saw some funnel clouds forming on the way home a couple of years ago and knew what that meant. Drove like the dickens (violated several speed laws by at least a factor of two to three).

Got home and one tornado hit while we were still getting into the house. We could barely move but somehow made it inside. Were running to the door to the basement when it hit with full force. Everything became pitch black.

We were pretty lucky. It cost us a heck of a lot of money, the things that were destroyed, mainly very large trees, the insureance would not cover.

But we and most of the house came out OK. Thank goodness.

Some neighbors did not fare anywhere near as well. No one, thank God, was hurt. But we all pulled together and the neighborhood is back to its old boring self.

Can only say take tornado warnings very seriously.

This whole thing happened in a heart beat, in an area that essentially never has tornados.

Lived in tornado country and never saw one although the sirens would go off every so often.

And go figure, were hit in the head by one in a place they just don't usually show up.

We get tornadoes here and there are sirens everywhere. Tested the first Wed of every month.

Back
Top Bottom