"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-23-2006, 04:02 AM   #11
Master Chef

The Tour seems to have its next US-Winner:

Floyd Landis!!

last stage today and it's not likely anyone will attack the yellow jersey on its way over the Champs Elysee
well.. I would have liked it when Andreas Klöden would be the winner.. he was quite strong during the first two days in the alps, but then he had to fight to stay in touch..

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:56 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I watched almost every day - at least the last hour of the race....

Floyd did an awesome job considering that he was considered to be out of contention for the yellow jersey on Wed and then smoked everyone on Thurs. All the commentators were saying that his comeback will go down in history.
Considering his hip surgery next month, I'm glad he won. He may not be back, though he was saying he would be.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:40 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
I was very excited about the race this year. My DH is a serious cyclist but too big to ever do any racing.
Floyd & I graduated from the same H.S. - many years apart but still... I was totally rooting for him & I am so proud that he won!
Old 07-25-2006, 02:26 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

when i heard that landis was only ahead by a minute or so going in to the last day, i was unsure that he'd win. but then i heard about the tradition of honoring the yellow jersey on the last day.
it seemed strange, but classy in a sportsman's kinda way, to have that tradition.
i don't think we'll ever see that kind of thing in america, the land of "the sudden death overtime", and "it's not over until the fat lady sings".

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:19 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

It is classy. But I also think that if were not that way, they would have "defended" it. The finishing laps were the most interesting in YEARS and the camera work the very best I've ever seen--for camera angles of Paris plus the racers.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:28 PM   #16
Master Chef

Floyd Landis can hardly walk because of his disintegrating hip bone. He is in constant extreme pain. Especially considering that, his recovery on the 4th to last stage was basically superhuman. We may never see anything like that again.

And he may not race again ....
Old 07-25-2006, 03:39 PM   #17
Master Chef

I'm sorry, but I have my doubts it's only pasta....
I can't believe in those stories anymore.. one day no strength and a loss of 8min during the last 12km... the other day a furious comeback..... I don't believe in miracles...
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 07-25-2006, 03:44 PM   #18
Master Chef

But when you see the x-ray of his hip, it's easy to see why he might have a bad day among the rest of his really strong ones.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:59 PM   #19
Master Chef

but if I had a hip like him I think I wouldn't be able to ride even one day
Old 07-25-2006, 04:02 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

He didn't eat enough, they say. It can happen.