Tracking Gustav

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The path is normal and it's fast moving, not slow. Originally it was predicted to hit on Tuesday, now it's likely to hit Monday morning. And, as Michael said, hurricane season runs all the way through to the end of fall.

How long have you lived in Florida?

At first, it was slow. It even backed up and turned. It was strange.

We thought it strange how it backed up and went into another directions, as though it bypassed the entire Cuban island on purpose and hit the north end instead. Looked like it was sitting still on our weather channels, just before backing up.

The path is normal and it's fast moving, not slow. Originally it was predicted to hit on Tuesday, now it's likely to hit Monday morning. And, as Michael said, hurricane season runs all the way through to the end of fall.

How long have you lived in Florida?

Get with the program, C. I posted that comment on 8/27. 5 1/2 days ago, when he was squggling around the 1st two islands. That's what was happening THEN!

Get with the program, C. I posted that comment on 8/27. 5 1/2 days ago, when he was squggling around the 1st two islands. That's what was happening THEN!
There was no need to be rude. I stand by my comments and as again, how long have you lived in Florida. If you look, you actually posted the comment at 10pm on the 28th, not even three full days ago. And it's Callisto, not C.

There was no need to be rude. I stand by my comments and as again, how long have you lived in Florida. If you look, you actually posted the comment at 10pm on the 28th, not even three full days ago. And it's Callisto, not C.

Original thread & post was mine on 8/27/2008 @ 3:54pm EDT. And considering it was also formed and active at that time, and how long it's taken to get where it is now - slow moving, and worrysome for many, many more areas/people if it had moved faster. And as if it has anything to do with anything to prove my point, 1985, seasonally, permanently, 1999. Why? According to your info your in NC. So? Rude? No. You're just not up to date with the posts. And as others have agreed with me, I don't think I'm too off-beat. But whatever.

does anyone know of a better website than nooa for tracking these storms?

Sichuan, On my original post there's another link I liked better than NOAA. Try that too.

hurricanes in the Gulf affect me personally--I have a home and family in Houston.........I take them seriously, no matter what song and dance they are tootling to until they get around to doing their business if any at all.....are they predictable? ahem, NO..........that's why they are called tracking "models" by the meteorologists.......do we take them seriously.......well, you saw what happened with Katrina......I lived in NO for 2 years......it didn't take much to overcome the pumps (you didn't need a hurricane) and the levees were breached in the meantime......well, it's amazing that more people didn't die......it appears that more safeguards are in place now and there is a more efficient emergency response in place in case Gustaf (are there hurricanes in Sweden, Norway, Germany???? :):):)) decides to stop for awhile.........well, let's hunker down and see what happens........

hurricanes in the Gulf affect me personally--I have a home and family in Houston.........I take them seriously, no matter what song and dance they are tootling to until they get around to doing their business if any at all.....are they predictable? ahem, NO..........that's why they are called tracking "models" by the meteorologists.......do we take them seriously.......well, you saw what happened with Katrina......I lived in NO for 2 years......it didn't take much to overcome the pumps (you didn't need a hurricane) and the levees were breached in the meantime......well, it's amazing that more people didn't die......it appears that more safeguards are in place now and there is a more efficient emergency response in place in case Gustaf (are there hurricanes in Sweden, Norway, Germany???? :):):)) decides to stop for awhile.........well, let's hunker down and see what happens........

DH was a meteorologist in the Navy and used to teach Earth science. No, there are no hurricanes in Europe; in northern Europe, the water is too cold and in southern Europe, along the Mediterranean, there is no huge open sea for them to form in, like they do in the Atlantic.

We take them seriously here, too, but the water tends to be cooler and something about the Outer Banks of NC seems to hold them off.

I'll be thinking of all of you in the paths of these storms. Take care.

hurricanes in the Gulf affect me personally--I have a home and family in Houston.................

expatgirl, it looks as though Houston will be fine, a few wind gusts( under 30-40 mph) and some rain, which is guestimated at an inch or so. Yes, things can change. On the other hand the information is becoming more accurate as time goes by.

It must be difficult to be so far away during uncertain times.

God bless you.

It's definitely going to hit Louisiana in about an hour. It's west of New Orleans, but that's worse than if it went east of NOLA. It's the back wall of the storm that can dump all the water AGAIN into Lake Ponchratrain. Right now the barrier islands are getting hit with 91mph winds.

The severity will decrease as soon as it hits land, and then slowly become a tropical storm. That could take 18 hours. Right now, it's a category 3.

3 years ago today, people were still languishing on rooftops and dying en route to the superdome. They are talking a good game right now about how much better the levees are. Looks like they're going to get the chance to prove it. The technology is there for a far superiour levee system.

Down to a Cat 2 Now...Eyewall and out several miles still in for a good blow along the path....Soon the greatest threat will be flooding and spin-off tornados!!!!!

Just found out a family remember lives near it.. hope it dies off..

It almost makes me feel guilty about the wonderful weather we are having. But then, they have wonderful weather in the South when we have life threatening blizzards up her in February.

In any case, what will happen will happen. It is my prayer that the people of the hurricane affected area take all precautions to be safe, and to move their loved ones, and themselves out of the destructive path. If they don't, then I pray that our Heavenly Father will protect them, and minimize their suffering. As for the momes and land, and businesses, we have to remember that we are just visitors on this planet for a short time. Our dwellings, hopes, and things we create are but temporary things in the grand scheme. There is no real permanance, and to believe otherwise is silly. I live in a geologically "safe" area, not hurricanes, nor tornadoes, no eathquakes. And yet, a very tall pine tree top broke off last spring in very strong winds (gust over 50 mph) and damaged my garage slightly.

Life hear in mortality will test us. The best we can hope for is to live intelligently, and try to minimize the risks, and maximize the blessings we are given.

I pray for all of those who are affected by the powerful forces of nature. They are much greater than are we. To put things into perspective, if you really think about it, the mighty mountains and fierce events we witness on this planet are truly miniscule. If a moutain were two miles high, or a valley two miles deep, and you could handle the Earth as if it were the size of a bowling ball, then the surface of the planet would seem smoother to you than the surface of a bowling ball. For the highest mountain would be merely 1-one-thosandth of the planet's diameter. Us, we'd be as small as the smallest microbe.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom