"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-31-2008, 08:39 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Hope you guys stay safe! Prayers are with you all!!!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:16 AM   #32
Master Chef

hurricanes in the Gulf affect me personally--I have a home and family in Houston.........I take them seriously, no matter what song and dance they are tootling to until they get around to doing their business if any at all.....are they predictable? ahem, NO..........that's why they are called tracking "models" by the meteorologists.......do we take them seriously.......well, you saw what happened with Katrina......I lived in NO for 2 years......it didn't take much to overcome the pumps (you didn't need a hurricane) and the levees were breached in the meantime......well, it's amazing that more people didn't die......it appears that more safeguards are in place now and there is a more efficient emergency response in place in case Gustaf (are there hurricanes in Sweden, Norway, Germany???? :):):)) decides to stop for awhile.........well, let's hunker down and see what happens........

Old 09-01-2008, 06:16 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
hurricanes in the Gulf affect me personally--I have a home and family in Houston.........I take them seriously, no matter what song and dance they are tootling to until they get around to doing their business if any at all.....are they predictable? ahem, NO..........that's why they are called tracking "models" by the meteorologists.......do we take them seriously.......well, you saw what happened with Katrina......I lived in NO for 2 years......it didn't take much to overcome the pumps (you didn't need a hurricane) and the levees were breached in the meantime......well, it's amazing that more people didn't die......it appears that more safeguards are in place now and there is a more efficient emergency response in place in case Gustaf (are there hurricanes in Sweden, Norway, Germany???? :):):)) decides to stop for awhile.........well, let's hunker down and see what happens........
DH was a meteorologist in the Navy and used to teach Earth science. No, there are no hurricanes in Europe; in northern Europe, the water is too cold and in southern Europe, along the Mediterranean, there is no huge open sea for them to form in, like they do in the Atlantic.

We take them seriously here, too, but the water tends to be cooler and something about the Outer Banks of NC seems to hold them off.

I'll be thinking of all of you in the paths of these storms. Take care.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:56 AM   #34
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
hurricanes in the Gulf affect me personally--I have a home and family in Houston.................
expatgirl, it looks as though Houston will be fine, a few wind gusts( under 30-40 mph) and some rain, which is guestimated at an inch or so. Yes, things can change. On the other hand the information is becoming more accurate as time goes by.

It must be difficult to be so far away during uncertain times.

God bless you.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:03 AM   #35
Executive Chef

It's definitely going to hit Louisiana in about an hour. It's west of New Orleans, but that's worse than if it went east of NOLA. It's the back wall of the storm that can dump all the water AGAIN into Lake Ponchratrain. Right now the barrier islands are getting hit with 91mph winds.

The severity will decrease as soon as it hits land, and then slowly become a tropical storm. That could take 18 hours. Right now, it's a category 3.

3 years ago today, people were still languishing on rooftops and dying en route to the superdome. They are talking a good game right now about how much better the levees are. Looks like they're going to get the chance to prove it. The technology is there for a far superiour levee system.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:33 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Down to a Cat 2 Now...Eyewall and out several miles still in for a good blow along the path....Soon the greatest threat will be flooding and spin-off tornados!!!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #37
Senior Cook

Just found out a family remember lives near it.. hope it dies off..
Old 09-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #38
Executive Chef

As a result of Gustav, they've just posted a Tornado warning for the Florida panhandle/Destin area.
http://www.floridapanhandlemap.com
Old 09-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #39
Master Chef

It almost makes me feel guilty about the wonderful weather we are having. But then, they have wonderful weather in the South when we have life threatening blizzards up her in February.

In any case, what will happen will happen. It is my prayer that the people of the hurricane affected area take all precautions to be safe, and to move their loved ones, and themselves out of the destructive path. If they don't, then I pray that our Heavenly Father will protect them, and minimize their suffering. As for the momes and land, and businesses, we have to remember that we are just visitors on this planet for a short time. Our dwellings, hopes, and things we create are but temporary things in the grand scheme. There is no real permanance, and to believe otherwise is silly. I live in a geologically "safe" area, not hurricanes, nor tornadoes, no eathquakes. And yet, a very tall pine tree top broke off last spring in very strong winds (gust over 50 mph) and damaged my garage slightly.

Life hear in mortality will test us. The best we can hope for is to live intelligently, and try to minimize the risks, and maximize the blessings we are given.

I pray for all of those who are affected by the powerful forces of nature. They are much greater than are we. To put things into perspective, if you really think about it, the mighty mountains and fierce events we witness on this planet are truly miniscule. If a moutain were two miles high, or a valley two miles deep, and you could handle the Earth as if it were the size of a bowling ball, then the surface of the planet would seem smoother to you than the surface of a bowling ball. For the highest mountain would be merely 1-one-thosandth of the planet's diameter. Us, we'd be as small as the smallest microbe.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:55 PM   #40
Executive Chef

personally, I know of no better website than NOAA for tracking weather, this page alone has about 20 links for more information concerning the storms..

Atlantic Hurricane Gustav