Tracking Gustav

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How weird is that path......and how slow.
What DC members are worrying about the possiblity of this, and the news stories for possible areas?
What are your plans and how can we stay in touch.

We also have a new one developing in the Atlantic - Hanna.
Now tell me why I won't be glad when summer is over.

What DC members are worrying about the possiblity of this, and the news stories for possible areas?

I'm concerned for the people in the path of both of them. Hanna is the one that could affect where we live, especially if it turns a little more northward. Fay brought enough rain into our area (we're not there, but our poor doggie is), and I hope Hanna doesn't bring Cubbie more bad weather. If we were home, he would be in the house with us. :(

:(Barbara

Barbara - it used to be not so very long ago hurricanes were ALWAYS OFF the coast. Hugo paved the way, so to speak!

I don't want bad weather - too many 150+ foot Oak trees and one little house that already wants to fall over...a chimney that needs repointing...or maybe not after these...if those storms get close I may stay somewhere else.

LOL - I thought this was going to be a "Where's Waldo" type game .... :wacko:

Actually - Hurricane Season is 6-months long in the US (June 1 thru November 30).

I hope everyone stays safe - and nothing bad develops this season.

Barbara - it used to be not so very long ago hurricanes were ALWAYS OFF the coast. Hugo paved the way, so to speak!

I don't want bad weather - too many 150+ foot Oak trees and one little house that already wants to fall over...a chimney that needs repointing...or maybe not after these...if those storms get close I may stay somewhere else.
I don't blame you. I do worry about Cubbie. He already has to think we abandoned him, and to have to put up with bad weather on top of it all, I want to cry just thinking about it. I keep up with the weather at home every day while I am gone, but there is nothing I can do so far away.

:(Barbara

If you have a Short-Wave radio and can pick up 14.325 MHz - you might want to monitor WX4NHC, the Amateur Radio station at the National Hurricane Center in Miami. Lots of real time reports from people all around the area.

I wasn't being insensitive in my previous post - I just haven't watched the weather the past couple of days ... didn't know about Gustav until I read this thread and fired up my raido ....

Last edited:
I can barely watch. When Katrina more or less missed New Orleans I breathed a sigh of relief. Then the levees broke and it's been a nightmare ever since. I've been back to New Orleans three times since Katrina and the last trip it was just about back...

Yesterday evening, Gustav was headed towards New Orleans:mad:. Like I said, I can barely watch.

I'm with you on this one, Quicksilver. I have a vacation home in Florida on the gulf side. There are currently some german guests in the house who sat through Fay. I feel badly that their vacation was such a wet one.

I just hold my breath throughout the entire hurricane season hoping that there won't be any major damage done.

One grocery store I was in yesterday was unusally busy....People are gearing up, with water, and non perishables. Heard that (rumor?) most or all hotel/motel rooms in the central part of the State are booked! My generators (3) are ready to go....full of gas etc. 55 gallon barrel in reserve....Please not another Katrina....

One grocery store I was in yesterday was unusally busy....People are gearing up, with water, and non perishables. Heard that (rumor?) most or all hotel/motel rooms in the central part of the State are booked! My generators (3) are ready to go....full of gas etc. 55 gallon barrel in reserve....Please not another Katrina....

I'm going to start another thread - on back-up or emergency generators. I need help!

Uncle Bob, you take care!! you come on as soon as it's over and let me know your okay, you here me?? That's not a request, sir!!:(
Watch for flooding and the high winds. You are still too close to to shake your head at it. I'm glad that you have the generators. Make sure you have plenty of water and food. Maybe get some ice in a cooler too. My paryers and constant thoughts are with you until you are back on safe and sound!!

QS, you keep a close watch on Hanna. That one isn't getting the talk right now because of Gustav, but, it' suppose to be coming to Florida! Hope you have plenty of water and a generator too!!

How is it going? I don't live over there so I don't keep track of it

I don't live near there, but I can't help but keep track of what is happening. So many New Orleaneans are still living in FEMA trailers since Katrina. You just know those are going to flip in the wind!

And now Gustav looks like it could come ashore as a Category 4! :ohmy:

Prayers going out to all my friends down that way!

We've had some wind & gusts and overcast clouds all day from the outerbands today, but it actually was refreshing. It kept the heat index down way below 100.
And with standing water still leftover from Tropical Storm Fay, mosquitos have been unbearable. With the wind, I guess they can't zero in on food source/ME.

So from Gustav, we got s.w. winds - turning counterclock wise. And they're saying he's 400 miles wide. That's more than 2 times as wide as the state of Florida!

I think from Hanna, she's going to hit Florida east coast and travel northward, I'll get some middle to outerbands from her n.e.side, turning counterclock wise. Can't say from sure yet, though.

Thanks, Stacy. I stay with my father, who has an inground, whole house generator run on propane. He is 76 and stubborn and won't leave home. He's on an island, but is actually 4' more above sea level than I am.

In all 3 cases, Collier County dodged/will dodge the bullet.
But the season isn't over yet. Possible 2 more forming off African Coast.

But ALL OF YOU and your families in the path of any of these, be safe, stay with your friends and loved ones, get out of town if humanly possible. If any of us can help, let us know. And let us know, after your area has had the storms pass you, that you are okay.

Uncle Bob, I know you are smart enough to prepare for this just fine, but like others, I still worry about you. I'll be checking in often to make sure I catch any news of you or others who are in the path of this powerful storm. Please keep us posted.

The path is normal and it's fast moving, not slow. Originally it was predicted to hit on Tuesday, now it's likely to hit Monday morning. And, as Michael said, hurricane season runs all the way through to the end of fall.

How long have you lived in Florida?

Back
Top Bottom