"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I think about many folks here who can't afford or have been unable to travel out of their current areas for various reasons. Some of us are lucky, and have been able to travel out of the country..

Please feel free to post your dream vacations, even though you haven't been there!

Old 02-27-2013, 07:03 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I think about many folks here who can't afford or have been unable to travel out of their current areas for various reasons. Some of us are lucky, and have been able to travel out of the country..

Please feel free to post your dream vacations, even though you haven't been there!
Every time I travel, I think of how lucky I am to be there!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

My favorite dining experience, was one of the most humble. It was in a remote village in Mexico, in the Sierra Madre mountains. I wish that I had taken pictures of the food, so that I remembered all that I ate, but I remember a taco with potatoes in it that was fried, YUM. It was very rustic, they would scoot chickens out the door when they wandered in !

Here were our servers, they are standing in the dining room

Here is some salsa, amazingly fresh!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #14
Master Chef

Haven't travelled outside of SA much but I did live in Barcelona for 1 year.

Loved the Tapas, Paella, Large Juicy Olives, Cured meats and Sausages, Sangria and lots more. Food was fantastic!

My top 5 places I still want to visit for the foods are....
Italy
Greece
Germany
Japan
Thailand.

Hopefully one day soon :)

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #15
Head Chef

I"ve only been to Italy, but I've been there 3 times. First time I was about 25 and went with a slightly older girlfriend and we stayed with some friends she had met on a previous trip. After they picked us up at the airport in Rome, we had a couple of hours drive to get to their home.

We stopped to eat lunch along the way at one of the little restaurants that was the front room of a family's home. Between the 25+ years of time, jet lag, since I hadn't slept in almost 24 hours from being so excited, and the copious amounts of wine we were fed with our multi-course lunch, I don't remember the dishes other than they were absolutely delicious. I do remember our desert wine, which I remember because I had to be seriously coaxed to try it because it had a worm in the bottle. The owner had a glass with us and ate the worm in order to get me to try it. The wine, however, was soooo good and everybody had a good laugh when I asked for another glass. Now, I know it was a homemade prosecco-type wine.

The second time Craig and I went on a tour trip. We had wonderful meals in Stresa and in Sorrento when we ditched the tour group. The place in Stresa was a tiny little family-run eatery for locals. It was way back and a good hike on foot from the tourist areas. We spent a lot of time in one of the shops in the tourist part of town talking to the owner and I guess she liked us because she's the one that steered us there. We also visited an Irish pub on the way down that was full of locals and was run by an Irish woman that had married an Italian man. Learned how to make the best Irish coffee ever while we were there. In Sorrento, we were fortunate to make a lucky choice in the restaurants we had been scouting thru the day to avoid eating the hotel dinner food that the other tour members got. There were a few other good places we ate at too but I'd have to dig up my souveniers and notes to get their names. We did get to eat at Cipriani's in Venice but I don't remember much of that or the next 24 hours or so since I was coming down with some kind of bug that required Craig to make a long walk up the hill (mountain?) in Assisi to the pharmacy that was closed for lunch so he got to walk around and sightsee up at the top for a couple of hours while I snoozed the day away in the hotel. What I do remember was very good and the Bellinis especially.

Third time was when I went with our daughter. We took a tour group too just because an Italian friend we had made over the internet from a shared interest said it wouldn't really be safe for 2 women traveling alone except in the large cities. We took a few extra days though before the tour started cause DD wanted to spend lots of time in the Vatican museums. Our first night there, we ate at the hotel cause we were just too tired to look for another place, typical hotel fare. Next night, we went to a little place just a block or so from our hotel, which was in a residential area of Rome. No one spoke any English at all but I had enough Italian to read the menu, get our meal ordered and very basic conversation. DD and I both love mushrooms and that's what our meal was mushrooms, mushrooms, and more mushroom-based dishes. Porcinis weren't in season unfortunately. We ate every dinner there while we were in that hotel. The night after we met up with the group, the tour guide and bus driver walked into the restaurant and their mouths almost hit the floor when they saw us in there. That was just a taste of what was to come for them as DD and I were always going off on our own after hitting the high points with the group. About the second day of touring, the tour guide asked us just to let her know more or less where we were going in case she "lost" us. She was actually very impressed that we'd go out on our own, even more so when we came back and told her about the illuminated manuscripts we saw in Ravenna that she had never heard about.

We did get to meet our Italian friend when we stayed the night in Assisi. I actually remember seeing the mosaics from that trip since I was so sick and out of it before. They came and picked us up and took us to Perugia, showed us around, ate dinner with us at a place that had good food.

We also got to go to a "renaissance" dinner in the Medici palace in Florence. Food wasn't by any means reniassance but it was very, very good and we got to see a lovely show with reniassance costumes, music and dancing. Florence is also where DD had the best hot chocolate either of us has ever had that I referenced in the hot chocolate thread.

In Sorrento, we ate at the same restaurant Craig and I had eaten at previously, still just as good for me. Unfortunately, it was DD's turn to get sick this time and I ended up having to eat rather quickly and get her back to the hotel, then got my own turn to go to the pharmacy the next day though she was in tow because the tour guide and I were both afraid she had strep throat and would need a doctor, but she didn't.

Moral of the story is that if somebody is sick on your tour group, stay as far away from them as you can get cause that's what did both of us in.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #16
Head Chef

Wow,all fascinating reads! Thank you and for the photos too.

I remember when we went to Peru my Chilean friend would inspect the kitchens of potential restaurants to make sure they were satisfactory before we ate there! Not a custom we have in England!
Old 03-04-2013, 02:02 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

i'v been around the caribbean, to london, western canada, and all over ireland, but one of my favourite trips was backpacking in the yucatan (mexico). not the safest place to travel back in the early 90's, but we were young and stupid, and had big machetes.

i remember being warned about the water in mexico, so i figured that i'd only drink beer the whole time we were there, lol. unfortunately, on the very first night i didn't think it out and had a frozen margarita before we started our hike. the ice in the margerita got me, and i spent the entire first night battling montezuma's revenge.
luckily, i was able to buy a drug called lomotil that was amazing (and sold non-prescription right next to the candy in the hotel's shop), and we were able to start our hike through the jungle to chichen itza the next day.

the best meal we had were from bartering american cigarettes, candy, and some small gear to a few local people we met along the way. we were invited to dinner a few times, and the simple, homemade meals of chicken in very spicy mole, rice, bean soup, fresh corn tortillas, and even what i think was an iguana cooked over an open fire were fantastic. actually, one of the hot pot dishes probably squeaked rather than clucked before we ate it, but since my spanish was sketchy and we were hungry, we didn't ask, lol.
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #18
Head Chef

I don't think you can climb Chichen itza it's a anymore now Bucky , we went a few years back and it's getting worn away . We went to another one nearby .

Tags
food