"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-26-2008, 02:02 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

HI Barbara,

I'm glad you are getting some relief. You wouldnt by any chance be diabetic would you? I've read in the literature there may be a link between the two (I do research) and am just wondering. There also may be some evidence of your immune cells actually causing damage when fighting the bacterial infection hence the pus.

Anyways, I hope your trip is relaxing.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:28 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

glad to hear you are making progress, barb. keep up the good work.

bbe

Old 07-26-2008, 02:56 AM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Yes, I am Type 2 diabetic. I read that there could be a connection too. I also have very dry skin, which sometimes cracks. I also have cats. Plus, I have a terrible habit (inherited from my grandfather, along with his dry skin) of picking at things. There are a lot of things that could have caused this. I will have to be more careful of keeping my skin moisturized, and I will have to keep an eye on any cuts, etc. I certainly don't want to go through this again!

Barbara
Old 07-26-2008, 02:58 AM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
This is truly good news Barb - I'm glad you are on the mend...hey, watch out for that train though j/k
SORRY, I'M HAVING TROUBLE HEARING YOU OVER THE NOISE!!!

**WooooWoooooo, chug chug chug chug, WooooWoooooo!**

Barbara
Old 07-26-2008, 03:09 AM   #15
Master Chef

yeah, barbs, I'm glad you're feeling better, too. I read up on cellulitis and it sorta alarmed me because since living over her in frostbite land I have experienced cracks on my heels.......hurts like hello........and takes forever to heal......I don't have diabetes----was just tested for it........and learned that staph and or strep can gain entry via that route......so like you because of your horrible experience am making sure that my feet are clean and I cover the cracks with a brush of "NewSkin"....works great.....recommended by a London pharmacist......yes, you can get it in the states.....smells and looks like clear nail polish (probably is--:) Anyway, thanks for sharing your ordeal as it's made me sit up and take notice that's for sure......
Old 07-26-2008, 03:16 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Barbara,

I do immunological reasearch for a drug company so I have access to scientific journals tomorrow at work. I have not heard much about cellulitis since graduate school so I can see whats new in the literature and I can post what I find. Just trying to help, I see my clinical trial patients every week and just want to make people better.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:10 AM   #17
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
yeah, barbs, I'm glad you're feeling better, too. I read up on cellulitis and it sorta alarmed me because since living over her in frostbite land I have experienced cracks on my heels.......hurts like hello........and takes forever to heal......I don't have diabetes----was just tested for it........and learned that staph and or strep can gain entry via that route......so like you because of your horrible experience am making sure that my feet are clean and I cover the cracks with a brush of "NewSkin"....works great.....recommended by a London pharmacist......yes, you can get it in the states.....smells and looks like clear nail polish (probably is--:) Anyway, thanks for sharing your ordeal as it's made me sit up and take notice that's for sure......
Thanks--I think I have seen that here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunkerga View Post
Barbara,

I do immunological reasearch for a drug company so I have access to scientific journals tomorrow at work. I have not heard much about cellulitis since graduate school so I can see whats new in the literature and I can post what I find. Just trying to help, I see my clinical trial patients every week and just want to make people better.
Thanks! I always love learning new things, especially if they can help.

BTW, I see you are in LaJolla. I was born in San Diego and lived in Vista for many years.

Barbara
Old 07-26-2008, 07:24 AM   #18
Master Chef

is LaJolla all that is cracked up to be??? that's where Betty Broderick lived before she killed her exhusband and new wife.........she's due to be released in a few years......it sounds like a wonderful place to live.......I would NEVER recommend Houston.......hot, hot, hot,.........humid, humid, humid.......
Old 07-26-2008, 09:14 AM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Glad to hear you're doing better, Barb. You're fortunate James is home from school to help out.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Gosh Barbara after all of this you really do deserve a nice long vacation.
Hope you get well soon.