"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-26-2008, 01:27 PM   #21
Head Chef

Cellulitis doesn't affect only the legs and feet. I had a bad case in my left breast a few years ago. Symptoms come on very suddenly. Mine took about 30 minutes to come to full tilt. Fever of 104, incredible shaking and nausea then the never ending vomiting. My breast was a deep red color and painful. My husband took me to the hospital after taking my temperature. They booked me into a room right then and there and said I would be there for a week while they pumped me full of antibiotics 4 times a day. It took almost 2 weeks to fully recover. I know that once you have cellulitis it can return anytime. No one seems to know exactly what the cause is from what I gather.
Glad to know you are recovering.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:07 PM   #22
Traveling Welcome Wagon

DramaQueen, I hope you don't have any recurrences of that. I hope none of us ever get it again (or ever, for those who haven't had it). I had read that you can get it anywhere, but that it is most often on the legs. I read that if you get it on your face, to get to the hospital immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
is LaJolla all that is cracked up to be??? that's where Betty Broderick lived before she killed her exhusband and new wife.........she's due to be released in a few years......it sounds like a wonderful place to live.......I would NEVER recommend Houston.......hot, hot, hot,.........humid, humid, humid.......
LaJolla is beautiful! I could never afford to live there, but I love going down there to the shops and galleries. Yes, Betty Broderick lived there, but so did Dr. Seuss! Also, it is fun listening to newcomers try to prounounce LaJolla! (For those who don't know, it is pronounced La Hoya).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Glad to hear you're doing better, Barb. You're fortunate James is home from school to help out.
I really am fortunate that if this had to happen, it happened after he finished school and before he starts his job. We were discussing that same thing at the doctor's yesterday!

Barbara

Old 07-26-2008, 05:15 PM   #23
Head Chef

I too hope we never have a recurrance. I have two male friends who have had it in their legs too.

As for LaJolla, I lived in San Diego where I owned several retail shops in tourist areas. I had to hold back a laugh when someone would ask for directions to LaJolla pronounced with a J. Also El Cajon, pronounced correctly as El Cahone. But the one that will always stick with me was the man who asked how far San Diego was from the Mojave Desert - he pronounced it exactly as spelled.) That one got to me.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #24
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I love it! Yeah, my mom was raised in El Cajon, so she was used to correcting people! I lived in Vista, so I got to listen to a lot of marines on the bus talking about San "ON-a-frey." (San Onofre--for anyone not around there, pronounced San o-NO-frey).

Barbara
Old 07-26-2008, 09:01 PM   #25
Master Chef

haha---just wished that I could afford to live there................sigh...........
Old 07-26-2008, 09:31 PM   #26
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
haha---just wished that I could afford to live there................sigh...........
Ah! Well, in that case, don't worry. You'd hate it! If you tried to take a walk and walked too far to the west, you'd drown. And you would constantly be having to tell your friends how to pronounce it. It's definitely not the place you'd want to be! (Have I convinced you yet?)!

Barbara
Old 07-27-2008, 10:21 AM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Ah! Well, in that case, don't worry. You'd hate it! If you tried to take a walk and walked too far to the west, you'd drown. And you would constantly be having to tell your friends how to pronounce it. It's definitely not the place you'd want to be! (Have I convinced you yet?)!

Barbara
I agree. You could get very tired of looking at that incredibly blue ocean, feeling that balmy ocean breeze and living in a climate that is constantly sunny and stays in the 75 to 80 degree temperature. And what about those terrific shops and restuarants? How much can a person take??
Old 07-29-2008, 03:00 AM   #28
Assistant Cook

sorry I didnt get back here sooner, got a bit ill over the weekend.
As for La Jolla, i'll tell you what I did today.

Wake, 730am, walk dog for 30 minutes. Feed, pet, sit for a whilst he had a chewy. Got to work, stayed until noon. Walked along the 18th hole at Torrey Pines to relive Tiger's putt, looked at Ocean. Had lunch in the clubhouse.

Drove down the hill to La Jolla cove, sat for a few. Drove north on the 101 to Cardiff by the sea, had maragarita at Las Olas mexican/southwest restaurant. Watched the fishing boats offshore.

Went home, picked up the hound and went to dog beach on Coronado Island, gave him a bath back home, cleaned up. Dinner at George's at the cove to watch the sun set.
LIFE IS GOOD.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:05 AM   #29
Assistant Cook

BTW, Barb, I hope you are relaxing and i'll get some info for you as soon as I can.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunkerga View Post
sorry I didnt get back here sooner, got a bit ill over the weekend.
As for La Jolla, i'll tell you what I did today.

Wake, 730am, walk dog for 30 minutes. Feed, pet, sit for a whilst he had a chewy. Got to work, stayed until noon. Walked along the 18th hole at Torrey Pines to relive Tiger's putt, looked at Ocean. Had lunch in the clubhouse.

Drove down the hill to La Jolla cove, sat for a few. Drove north on the 101 to Cardiff by the sea, had maragarita at Las Olas mexican/southwest restaurant. Watched the fishing boats offshore.

Went home, picked up the hound and went to dog beach on Coronado Island, gave him a bath back home, cleaned up. Dinner at George's at the cove to watch the sun set.
LIFE IS GOOD.
Now I'm curious. I lived on Coronado (not an Island) for several years and don't remember a dog beach. What beach is a dog beach there? When I lived there in the late 90's dogs were discouraged from being on the beaches. They were immaculate and that was the one thing we all liked about living there. We often used the beach behind the Del Coronado Hotel. Has the sand now "gone to the dogs"?