Travel and Romance (Was Update on My Cellulitis)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
I have been going in all this week for my antibiotic shots (except Tuesday when we were too late), and I had an appointment with the doctor today. My leg still hurt, but it was much better. The doctor wasn't happy that it is still so red. Area-wise a lot of the red is gone, but a large area down the shin and the back of the calf are still dark red. I told her that last Saturday I noticed a painful lump on the outside of my leg near the ankle, in back. It has been hurting worse. She checked it and said it looked like an abcess. She numbed it, then she cut it open and drained out some blood and a little pus. She bandaged it, then she wrapped my leg (from just above the foot to about three inches from the knee) with an Ace bandage. She said that hopefully a little pressure will help. I feel so much better now (Of course practically leaping over the bed later didn't help much!!--see thread about James scaring me). I got another high-power antibiotic shot and a tetanus shot, and the doctor renewed my prescription for my anti-biotic pills. I am supposed to go back Monday. Hopefully that will be the end of it and we will be able to go on our vacation soon.

:)Barbara
P.S. I'm tired of staying in bed all the time!!!

Last edited:
Wow.....you need/deserve a vacation after all that!! Hope that happens for you soon! Where do you plan to go?

We will be driving to Iowa. I've been in bed 2 weeks. Fortunately I have my computer and TV, as well as the kitties and dog. Not to mention my husband, who brings me whatever I need.

Hey, we always knew they had to be good for something!;)

I love any road trips, hope you guys enjoy yourselves!

We will be in Ottumwa. The longer my recovery takes, the shorter our time will be, but that would be great if we could arrange it!

I'm so glad you got some relief Barb. I sure hope you recuperate completely so you both take that well deserved vacation.

Your ordeal with cellulitis has been sobering, Barbs.........I Googled about it and have been keeping my feet as clean as possible.......I have a tendency to have splits in my heels due to dry skin which is a favorite entry for the staph or strep organisms........goodness, when I think that I have been battling this problem for some time.........glad that you are feeling better, tho and hopefully you'll have great news of Monday

Thanks everyone! It is feeling so much better tonight. Apparently that abcess was contributing a lot to the pain. Being wrapped is helping too. I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

HI Barbara,

I'm glad you are getting some relief. You wouldnt by any chance be diabetic would you? I've read in the literature there may be a link between the two (I do research) and am just wondering. There also may be some evidence of your immune cells actually causing damage when fighting the bacterial infection hence the pus.

Anyways, I hope your trip is relaxing.

Yes, I am Type 2 diabetic. I read that there could be a connection too. I also have very dry skin, which sometimes cracks. I also have cats. Plus, I have a terrible habit (inherited from my grandfather, along with his dry skin) of picking at things. There are a lot of things that could have caused this. I will have to be more careful of keeping my skin moisturized, and I will have to keep an eye on any cuts, etc. I certainly don't want to go through this again!

yeah, barbs, I'm glad you're feeling better, too. I read up on cellulitis and it sorta alarmed me because since living over her in frostbite land I have experienced cracks on my heels.......hurts like hello........and takes forever to heal......I don't have diabetes----was just tested for it........and learned that staph and or strep can gain entry via that route......so like you because of your horrible experience am making sure that my feet are clean and I cover the cracks with a brush of "NewSkin"....works great.....recommended by a London pharmacist......yes, you can get it in the states.....smells and looks like clear nail polish (probably is--:) Anyway, thanks for sharing your ordeal as it's made me sit up and take notice that's for sure......

Barbara,

I do immunological reasearch for a drug company so I have access to scientific journals tomorrow at work. I have not heard much about cellulitis since graduate school so I can see whats new in the literature and I can post what I find. Just trying to help, I see my clinical trial patients every week and just want to make people better.

yeah, barbs, I'm glad you're feeling better, too. I read up on cellulitis and it sorta alarmed me because since living over her in frostbite land I have experienced cracks on my heels.......hurts like hello........and takes forever to heal......I don't have diabetes----was just tested for it........and learned that staph and or strep can gain entry via that route......so like you because of your horrible experience am making sure that my feet are clean and I cover the cracks with a brush of "NewSkin"....works great.....recommended by a London pharmacist......yes, you can get it in the states.....smells and looks like clear nail polish (probably is--:) Anyway, thanks for sharing your ordeal as it's made me sit up and take notice that's for sure......
Thanks--I think I have seen that here.
Barbara,

I do immunological reasearch for a drug company so I have access to scientific journals tomorrow at work. I have not heard much about cellulitis since graduate school so I can see whats new in the literature and I can post what I find. Just trying to help, I see my clinical trial patients every week and just want to make people better.
Thanks! I always love learning new things, especially if they can help.

BTW, I see you are in LaJolla. I was born in San Diego and lived in Vista for many years.

is LaJolla all that is cracked up to be??? that's where Betty Broderick lived before she killed her exhusband and new wife.........she's due to be released in a few years......it sounds like a wonderful place to live.......I would NEVER recommend Houston.......hot, hot, hot,.........humid, humid, humid.......

Glad to hear you're doing better, Barb. You're fortunate James is home from school to help out.

Back
Top Bottom